Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

SS conversion - why does my chain keep popping off?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-22, 11:40 AM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts

First time SS conversion and I've got a major chain jump issue. Smallest bump and my chain is jumping off my 40x17 REAR cog. Is it simply that I have too little chain tension? Thanks!

Old 11-01-22, 12:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
That is what you call chain tension? That thing is slacker than some pot smoking hackey sack player at one of those big jam band festivals.

I would remove some links and tighten up that chain and give yourself some room for actual tensioning.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-01-22, 02:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
Like veganbikes says, shorten that chain. I'd size it so the hub sits halfway in the dropout. Then adjust the axle location so you can lift the chain about 1/2" to tight. (Spin the pedal slowly several turns and watch the chain go tight and loose. Make sure it never goes fully tight at the tightest. With luck, the loosest will still be tight enough so the chain never comes off. (This can be a balancing act with cheap components. I see you have what appears to be a high quality track crankset so I am guessing you will be blessed with little tight-slack action.) Don't let the chain ever go fully tight. That means you are trying to crush steel ball bearing with a steel band. Good way to make BB and hub bearings old quite quickly.

Halfway in the dropout means you will be able to add or subtract probably 2 teeth with different cogs to change to different gears as you get stronger or wish for lower in view of your hills. If you are running the wide 1/8" chain, you can further fine tune length using 1/2 links that are male on one end and female on the other. (Bike shops that handle fix gears and hardware stores. 1/2 x 1/8" chains are a common size for machinery. The 1/2 links will look big and clumsy and use super secure cotter and clevis pins but will work just fine.)

And the trick to adjusting the slack. Push the wheel back. Tighten the left nut. Center the wheel. Tighten the right and check chain slack. Adjust the slack by loosening the right nut and push/pulling the tire side to side between the chainstays. Tighten right nut, loosen left and now center the wheel and tighten. (Left axle location has a big effect on slack. Right far less. Right can also be used as a fine ture to the slack. And contrary to what some say (and OCD brains allow) the tire does not have to be exactly centered. Trust me, The bike doesn't care at all and if you do not know or simply "forget" and keep your eyes where they belong, you will feel the difference. Not even no-hands. I've been riding fix gears for close to 50 years and coming up on my 5th lap around the planet. Took me a long time to accept that the ride was no different when my OCD was in full force or it was on vacation (as long as the nuts got properly tightened!)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-01-22 at 02:23 PM. Reason: typos
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-01-22, 04:45 PM
tendency

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Like veganbikes says, shorten that chain. I'd size it so the hub sits halfway in the dropout. Then adjust the axle location so you can lift the chain about 1/2" to tight. (Spin the pedal slowly several turns and watch the chain go tight and loose. Make sure it never goes fully tight at the tightest. With luck, the loosest will still be tight enough so the chain never comes off. (This can be a balancing act with cheap components. I see you have what appears to be a high quality track crankset so I am guessing you will be blessed with little tight-slack action.) Don't let the chain ever go fully tight. That means you are trying to crush steel ball bearing with a steel band. Good way to make BB and hub bearings old quite quickly.

Halfway in the dropout means you will be able to add or subtract probably 2 teeth with different cogs to change to different gears as you get stronger or wish for lower in view of your hills. If you are running the wide 1/8" chain, you can further fine tune length using 1/2 links that are male on one end and female on the other. (Bike shops that handle fix gears and hardware stores. 1/2 x 1/8" chains are a common size for machinery. The 1/2 links will look big and clumsy and use super secure cotter and clevis pins but will work just fine.)

And the trick to adjusting the slack. Push the wheel back. Tighten the left nut. Center the wheel. Tighten the right and check chain slack. Adjust the slack by loosening the right nut and push/pulling the tire side to side between the chainstays. Tighten right nut, loosen left and now center the wheel and tighten. (Left axle location has a big effect on slack. Right far less. Right can also be used as a fine ture to the slack. And contrary to what some say (and OCD brains allow) the tire does not have to be exactly centered. Trust me, The bike doesn't care at all and if you do not know or simply "forget" and keep your eyes where they belong, you will feel the difference. Not even no-hands. I've been riding fix gears for close to 50 years and coming up on my 5th lap around the planet. Took me a long time to accept that the ride was no different when my OCD was in full force or it was on vacation (as long as the nuts got properly tightened!)
Ah yes this is exactly what I stumbled upon: take the axle almost out of the dropouts and size the chain so there's some slack then push the axle back into the drops until the tension is perfect. Looks like prob is fixed - thanks all!
Likes For tendency:
Old 11-01-22, 07:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Looks like you're missing a couple of chainring bolts, too. That might not be causing your problem, but it could cause others, in time.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-01-22, 09:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Oh yeah ThermionicScott is right get those chainring bolts on there, they are not optional. Nothing good will ever come from not using chainring bolts and there is no weight savings to be gained from that. If you need a set of single chainring bolts in colors Wolf Tooth Components makes them and they are light and seem to work quite nicely (I haven't had issues yet on mine)
Old 11-02-22, 05:36 AM
tendency

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Oh yeah ThermionicScott is right get those chainring bolts on there, they are not optional. Nothing good will ever come from not using chainring bolts and there is no weight savings to be gained from that. If you need a set of single chainring bolts in colors Wolf Tooth Components makes them and they are light and seem to work quite nicely (I haven't had issues yet on mine)
Yeah I've got a new set on order somehow I lost 2 of them from this set. Thanks-
Likes For tendency:
Old 11-02-22, 06:23 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
It's fine...
Old 11-03-22, 09:37 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
First time SS conversion and I've got a major chain jump issue. Smallest bump and my chain is jumping off my 40x17 REAR cog. Is it simply that I have too little chain tension? Thanks!

The problem isn't too little chain tension; it's too long a chain. If your chain is tight, hub and crank bearings will wear quickly. You want no tension, but also no slack. You should be able to vertically deflect the upper run of the chain by a centimeter or so. If you can't, it's too tight.
Old 11-04-22, 05:19 AM
tendency

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The problem isn't too little chain tension; it's too long a chain. If your chain is tight, hub and crank bearings will wear quickly. You want no tension, but also no slack. You should be able to vertically deflect the upper run of the chain by a centimeter or so. If you can't, it's too tight.
Thanks John - got the chain sized and axle tightened so I have about 1 cm play as you suggested. Also went with a wolf's tooth rear cog - much nice teeth and cut that the ones I had tried.