Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

We Completed Our Move!!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

We Completed Our Move!!!

Old 12-14-22, 02:32 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
We Completed Our Move!!!

Well, it took almost a year longer than planned but we’re finally in our new house at the NC coast and on a golf course. What an experience. COVID, labor challenges, material uncertainties, escalating interest rates, downsizing by 1000 sq Ft, selling our house, packing and moving ourself were just a few of the challenges. We had a close date for our new house and just a few days before it, our builder pushed it back another month!?!?! We had to reschedule closing on our old house, change moving dates, extend mortgage rates etc. on the fly.

When the move day actually came, only 1 person of the crew we’d hired to pack up our rental truck actually showed up. Another person arrived a little later but it was his wife??? We filled up the largest rental truck and I got a 2nd one, but we still had too much stuff! We put the remainder in a neighbors garage. It was midnight by the time we got to our new destination….I went back a few days later and picked up what we’d left behind which meant extra charges for the rental truck plus gas……

We got to closing on our new house an hour late, as we were held up doing a final walk through of our new house because of IT issues on our builders online project management software. When we got to closing we discovered the Builder had made a $25,000 error on the closing documents which we were quickly able to get resolved thanks to a spreadsheet I’d thought to take. But our banker wouldn’t wire the funds for payment unless I signed an authorization form which had to be faxed (we were closing remotely). There weren’t any fax machines within miles of closing……we overcame that hurdle only to learn the builder still didn’t have an occupancy permit so even though we’d closed we couldn’t move in!!!!! And the movers were coming at 7am the next morning??? I was able to push the movers back 1 day so it finally came together.

I share all that to say that my saddle time has greatly suffered!!! But I finally got out for a nice 25 miler today. I had to leave my car at a shop in an adjacent town for a few days. My wife was out of town so I just drove over and rode my bike back home. Coolish temperatures in the mid 40s but not too breezy. Here are a few pictures of what hopefully will become a more routine day….

Old 12-14-22, 03:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
Kind of a giant pain! Bet you're relieved to have all that behind you and can now get some rides in, and probably some golf, too.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-14-22, 03:47 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Isn't moving fun! Like a root canal! Glad you've got yours over with and have managed to get a ride in. We've though about downsizing and moving back east (had loads of off-road trails and rail-trails there). But our last move was a nightmare-enough to make me not want to do it again! Looks like a nice area for riding (don't see any big hills!)
Likes For freeranger:
Old 12-14-22, 06:17 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
...will become a more routine day…

Fantastic!

Now what about the fishing gear and clubs?
Old 12-14-22, 06:21 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by big john
Kind of a giant pain! Bet you're relieved to have all that behind you and can now get some rides in, and probably some golf, too.
Probably more golf than cycling, our backyard is adjacent to the first tee box of one of the 3 golf courses in our subdivision.

Old 12-14-22, 06:53 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
Probably more golf than cycling, our backyard is adjacent to the first tee box of one of the 3 golf courses in our subdivision.
Cool! You don't even have to start your car to play.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-14-22, 08:10 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Well, it took almost a year longer than planned but we’re finally in our new house at the NC coast and on a golf course. What an experience. COVID, labor challenges, material uncertainties, escalating interest rates, downsizing by 1000 sq Ft, selling our house, packing and moving ourself were just a few of the challenges. We had a close date for our new house and just a few days before it, our builder pushed it back another month!?!?! We had to reschedule closing on our old house, change moving dates, extend mortgage rates etc. on the fly.
Cute house! Sort of an updated American Gothic look. (We never upsized when we had kids (yes, it got tight with two teenage boys in the house), but now we are right-sized empty nesters, so no need or inclination to downsize.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-15-22, 06:02 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
Congrats on the successful move. I would be happy to never move again.
Old 12-15-22, 12:13 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Looks worth the trouble!
Old 12-15-22, 12:26 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I've read the most stressful things in life are: moving, marriage & a new job. not necessarily in that order. I'm guessing you are done with all 3?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-19-22, 05:25 PM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Best of luck and good health in your new home.
Best regards
Likes For flan48:
Old 12-26-22, 08:42 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

With the lack of bike storage I had to “downsize” the latest addition to the group!!