Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-23, 04:19 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster;[url=tel:22753859
22753859[/url]]Those tektros are excellent stoppers. Great looking bike!
it’s all together and the 2x9 is smooth, save for a little chainline rub in the smallest cog. Nothing to fuss over. However, her Panasonic dynamo hub isn’t generating. Lights work fine with another wheel in place so I’m going to have a look at the hub. Have you ever pulled one apart?

Likes For ascherer:
Old 01-02-23, 10:22 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Picked up this Fuso 58 frameset from a local-ish co-op down in Palo Alto. Has some nominal wear and it needed some light adjustment in the rear triangle but overall a survivor in nice shape. Got the 6800 Ultegra group for pretty cheap from CL and the bars and stem from my local co-op in San Rafael. Wheelset is Fulcrum 5S with the labels removed which was gotten from a Goodwill also in San Rafael! Seatpost and saddle were in the parts bin. Just taped the bars yesterday, which was our only day without rain in the forecast for about a week.
Awaiting a nice, dry day to put some miles on it and dial it in a bit....

​​​​​​​
Old 01-02-23, 10:25 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Picked up this Fuso 58 frameset from a local-ish co-op down in Palo Alto. Has some nominal wear and it needed some light adjustment in the rear triangle but overall a survivor in nice shape. Got the 6800 Ultegra group for pretty cheap from CL and the bars and stem from my local co-op in San Rafael. Wheelset is Fulcrum 5S with the labels removed which was gotten from a Goodwill also in San Rafael! Seatpost and saddle were in the parts bin. Just taped the bars yesterday, which was our only day without rain in the forecast for about a week.

Very nice bike and nice build ​​​​​​​
Likes For georges1:
Old 01-02-23, 11:11 AM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts
Bianchi SX - Pink! Disassembled, partly cleaned, ready to to be overhauled and rebuilt.

Likes For drewfio:
Old 01-02-23, 11:16 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by drewfio
Bianchi SX - Pink! Disassembled, partly cleaned, ready to to be overhauled and rebuilt.
Suntour components?
Old 01-02-23, 01:17 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
it’s all together and the 2x9 is smooth, save for a little chainline rub in the smallest cog. Nothing to fuss over. However, her Panasonic dynamo hub isn’t generating. Lights work fine with another wheel in place so I’m going to have a look at the hub. Have you ever pulled one apart?
I never have and those Panasonic's have never failed me. Has to be a broken wire or a short somewhere.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 01-02-23, 02:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts

​​​​​​​
Wow, great work, no fan at all of the 4 arm crank but H**Y CRAP it sure works with Dave's fantastic paint on this, well played.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-02-23, 02:44 PM
bargo68 

Originally Posted by merziac
Wow, great work, no fan at all of the 4 arm crank but H**Y CRAP it sure works with Dave's fantastic paint on this, well played.
Many thanks! I always appreciate your entuhsiastic responses to people's posts, mine included!
I agree about the crankset's aesthetics. That said, I love the way the dark metallic grey brakes blend with the seat stays.
Likes For bargo68:
Old 01-02-23, 03:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Many thanks! I always appreciate your entuhsiastic responses to people's posts, mine included!
I agree about the crankset's aesthetics. That said, I love the way the dark metallic grey brakes blend with the seat stays.
Tx, huge fan of Dave's and love his paint scheme, need to put the one my size that I finally got together.

Agreed, I am a fan of the dark gray, just not the 4 arm, usually.

This works well for me as it camouflages it and allows it to blend in.

Wish it was gray like yours instead of silver.

Likes For merziac:
Old 01-02-23, 05:16 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 196 Posts
With a little time off over the holidays, the timing seemed right to get after a lower priority project that has been waiting for a while. So I had a set of wheels that I built as training/winter use wheels back about 1993-94. They were built with Mavic GP4 rims that were used in a 6/7 speed wheel set and dated from the mid 80s. I thought that they could not be destroyed, but eventually noticed last year that the rear rim had a crack at an eyelet. I decided to build a new set of rougher use wheels using the hubs and some Mavic Open Elite rims for ( gasp) clinchers, which are available in more durable/suitable weight for the intermittent and seasonal use planned for the wheels. The hubs are Campagnolo Veloce and began life as 8 speed compatible and I converted them with a 9 speed freehub sometime around 1996 or so. Even the lower level Campy hubs were really good back then. These hubs used a simpler and cheaper seal system than the higher brow cousins, but I believe that it may be more effective. The spokes are the incredibly consistent and reliable DT butted 14/15 g with brass nipples. When the tires arrive I will mount things up and put them (back) in service. I love building wheels, btw….

Likes For El Chaba:
Old 01-03-23, 07:55 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
Re the Weinman brakes:

The first thing I do when I remove the brakes from the bike is to drop them in a large container of white vinegar I keep on my work bench. Leave them in there over night then remove and wash in the sink with dawn detergent and a tooth brush or other stiff bristle brush. They will come out sparkling clean and need no polishing unless you want to . This will usually remove the rust from the springs and nuts. If there is still some , use a brass "tooth brush" from Harbor freight to gently scrub them clean. If you are going to completely disassemble them to polish, do one at a time, using the other one as a guide to reassembly. I find that most of the time I can polish them without disassembly on my buffing wheel, making them "good enough" without getting too OCD.

another "trick" is to burnish them with a wire cup brush chucked into my bench drill press. I use this extensively to clean parts and remove rust from things like nuts and bolts, seat posts, stems , and basically anything I am working on. it works great for cleaning the gunk out of threads on skewers, axles, etc.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 01-03-23, 10:05 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts

Wow! That’s a great looking build!
I bought a repainted 58cm Fuso frameset in April 2020 but haven’t built it up yet. I was going to build it with Suntour Superbe components to keep it an 80’s bike but now you have me seriously reconsidering! I have a set of Fulcrum 5’s with black spokes laying around and a Shimano Ultegra 6700 groupset laying around also!

Which BB did you use?
Likes For momoman:
Old 01-03-23, 10:48 AM
bargo68 

Originally Posted by momoman
Wow! That’s a great looking build!
I bought a repainted 58cm Fuso frameset in April 2020 but haven’t built it up yet. I was going to build it with Suntour Superbe components to keep it an 80’s bike but now you have me seriously reconsidering! I have a set of Fulcrum 5’s with black spokes laying around and a Shimano Ultegra 6700 groupset laying around also!

Which BB did you use?
Thanks! Honestly, if I'd had a Superbe (or DA 7400, or Record, etc) sitting around I would have used it. The Ultegra group popped up on CL and I got it on a lark figuring eventually a frame would turn up for it. I'd always wanted to try a restomod and this seemed the perfect opportunity.
The BB is the external bracket Shimano that came with the group.
Good luck with your Fuso build and pictures when it's completed, please!
Old 01-03-23, 01:57 PM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
Suntour components?
Yep! Well, a mix of Suntour, Sugino, and Dia Compe, but all with matching Alpha 5000 logos.
Likes For drewfio:
Old 01-03-23, 07:22 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
In the interests of stretching out a bit more, thus relieving my lower back of some stress (fingers crossed, anyway...), I've been bringing my brake levers higher up on my bars, and slowly replacing my 110-115mm stems with 120mm versions instead.

The Colnago has been slated for this swap for some time now, though I was awaiting just the right bar. I came across a 66 CdM with a salvageable finish, and - more importantly - the old crest logos. My fave bar, hands down.

Ordered some anodizing stripper from Jestco Products, stripped both the bar and the stem I've had waiting around, then did the clean-up act on both. Here's an idea of what the bar originally looked like (Ebay auction photo):

The stem had some similar markings, but I didn't bother with before pics. How about after?

Until I'd inserted the bar/stem/levers combo into the frame, I'd never noticed the stem has a negative rise; about 2 degrees. It makes for a bit different aesthetic at the front end, but it's already growing on me.

I think if I can find a 120mm 3ttt Record stem to replace the 110mm version currently in the Bianchi, my fit issues will be solved for the next 5 years or so - when I'll probably have to do it all again

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-03-23 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-03-23, 08:03 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by capnjonny
Re the Weinman brakes:

The first thing I do when I remove the brakes from the bike is to drop them in a large container of white vinegar I keep on my work bench. Leave them in there over night then remove and wash in the sink with dawn detergent and a tooth brush or other stiff bristle brush. They will come out sparkling clean and need no polishing unless you want to . This will usually remove the rust from the springs and nuts. If there is still some , use a brass "tooth brush" from Harbor freight to gently scrub them clean. If you are going to completely disassemble them to polish, do one at a time, using the other one as a guide to reassembly. I find that most of the time I can polish them without disassembly on my buffing wheel, making them "good enough" without getting too OCD.

another "trick" is to burnish them with a wire cup brush chucked into my bench drill press. I use this extensively to clean parts and remove rust from things like nuts and bolts, seat posts, stems , and basically anything I am working on. it works great for cleaning the gunk out of threads on skewers, axles, etc.
I'm not too keen on using vinegar (or other acid) on aluminium or chrome. You have to be very careful not to overdo exposure time or you might end up with items looking worse than they did. Lesson learned after cleaning some rusty pulley bolts and leaving them for too long. That's why I switched to just regular dishwashing liquid and warm water. White spirits is great too, but definitely more harmful.
I do use vinegar on regular steel, like bolts that have not been chrome plated etc. Works great. As for cleaning parts, my tools of choice are a toothbrush, brass wire brush and then brass wire bits for the rotary tools (for rust on steel) and abrasive bits for the aluminium parts (from the coarsest 120 grit to the finest 400 grit). I used to go for even finer sandpaper and dry / wet before I got the rotary tool. For example, with heavily scuffed Cinelli handlebar and stem I got a couple of years back with a frame, I went all the way up to 5000. Multiple times. Before spending a lot of time going over those with polishing paste. I still use polishing paste, though minimal amount these days. First time with a standard kitchen sponge, then got 4 pieces of microfibre to wipe the parts clean. Which doesn't quite end with the result similar to the mentioned Cinelli bar and stem (which I could probably use as a shaving mirror), but it's good enough.

I just started cleaning the other one. This will be a bit of a challenge because the mounting bolt seems to be glued or corroded into the rear section of the brake, together with that thick aluminium spacer. We'll see whether soaking it with some penetrating oil and a bit of brute force will do anything. Thankfully, I have spare bolts and one damaged brake as parts donor if need be, so I won't be too fussed if I don't manage to get this bit apart. I'm waiting for the brake hangers anyway, so I should probably have this set of brakes on the bicycle over the next few days. And, found some little used Weinmann brake pads in my parts pile, so going to give these a try, just out of curiosity.
Old 01-04-23, 09:07 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Drillium Dude - Jeff, excellent results as usual. I have been thinking about striping stems with blemishes (nearly all) and was wondering how they might turn out. Same with bars. I like the old logo and bar too. I think I have one but would need to look for it.
Old 01-05-23, 08:58 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3496 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Until I'd inserted the bar/stem/levers combo into the frame, I'd never noticed the stem has a negative rise; about 2 degrees. It makes for a bit different aesthetic at the front end, but it's already growing on me.
What? That's the way God intended a roadbike stem to look.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-05-23, 07:30 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
New balls and repack.
Getting to build up a wheelset.
Noticed the rear hub label is …. not facing the drive side 🤪🫣😵‍💫🤯
I’ll make them match. Nuts. I wanted the hub labels read from the drive side.

Old 01-05-23, 08:42 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 141 Posts
My last entry on the Rockhopper winter project is already on the previous page.

But with a visit to the hardware store and the campus bike shop, i actually got this show on the road...and I like the way it rides.

I'm now looking for a cheap crank to trash over the winter. Aside from that, the only original parts left are frame, fork, and head set.

Likes For steine13:
Old 01-06-23, 03:22 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by mrv
New balls and repack.
Getting to build up a wheelset.
Noticed the rear hub label is …. not facing the drive side 🤪🫣😵‍💫🤯
I’ll make them match. Nuts. I wanted the hub labels read from the drive side.
Seems to be the case with Shimano hubs for some reason. But I think as long as they are facing the same side, it would be as manufacturer intended. Nice hubs, I like what they've done with the flanges, from the esthetic point of view. Not so much from mechanical point of view and also gunk accumulation potential.
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 01-07-23, 10:52 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Paris-Roubaix Mercier, low ender, this is going to be a rocket. I think this will be a good gateway for one entering C&V.

Viva la France 🇫🇷
Old 01-07-23, 10:55 AM
alexihnen 

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
My 2nd Fuso.

Likes For alexihnen:
Old 01-07-23, 02:43 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well, it was icy out this morning which kept me home versus driving an hour to chase another possible vintage project. So I put Clannad on the turntable and just sat at the table for about two hours going over the 8 speed Record parts I recently got. The parts are in good shape with not a lot of wear but man did the owner ever clean his drivetrain?! The jockey cage and pulleys were the worse I've ever seen in terms of dried on gunk. Hard to reach spots of the chainring were the same way. Spent a lot of time pulling things apart and cleaning fully. Jockey wheels look brand new now with no real wear on them. Makes me wonder if the previous owner that rode this stuff used grease on his chain or what....

From the condition of the brake pad holder bolts and pretty much every mounting bolt and the like I'd say this was assembled dry in the past. I always lightly grease these areas.

Anyway, just a really relaxing morning working on the stuff. Such a nice feeling when it's all fully cleaned and lubricated and pretty much looking like new. Of course Maire's voice and the beautiful music of Clannad floating through the air helped too.
Old 01-07-23, 03:38 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by alexihnen
My 2nd Fuso.

Damnit Jim, another Red and Grey one with the red on top!

Very nice, love it.
Likes For merziac:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.