Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-23, 04:26 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by drewfio
Bianchi SX - Pink! Disassembled, partly cleaned, ready to to be overhauled and rebuilt.

New Rose '87 Sport SX, very nice Bianchi. My first real road bike was one of those albeit in black. It will be a great rider

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 01-07-23, 04:59 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 252 Posts
Quite a lot of wrenching, actually. I have received Vx front derailleur in post this week and managed to install that on my Grand Sprint (so now it has Vx front and rear derailleur, Suntour Power Shifters and Suntour Winner freewheel) . A version without a cable stop, so that took some acrobatics. The NDS chainstay now has a positively homemade looking cable guide holding the outer. Finally finished cleaning up centrepull Vainqueur 999 brakes and install on the bike as well. For now with original vintage Weinmann pads I got lying around and which seem to have quite a bit of life left in them. We'll see how these hold up when I get to test the bicycle. Then, since I was already in a full blown grease monkey mode, I decided to have a look at the crankset because it seemed to cause chain rub on the front derailleur. Discovered some play in the bottom bracket, so will have to have a closer look at it during the week. I was afraid the chain is rubbing because of the chainrings or the spider being somewhat off, but these seem to be alright as far as I can tell. So hopefully sorting out the BB will take care of the chain rub problem or minimise it. Now, that's nothing serious, I'm talking about chain rubbing in certain forbidden combinations (especially big - big) which I'm not using anyway. And which can be taken care of with a bit of trim if I wanted to use that combo for whatever reason. I'm spoiled because I'm used to having no chain rub on the FD on my other bicycle in any combination of gears. Though BB play = not good. But hopefully, I will be able to sort things out over the next few days and take the bicycle out for a spin.

I also got distracted by the beautiful piece of cycling history below. It looks NOS (especially now), but was definitely used. Pulley wheels were filthy and stiff and there was some gunk inside the parallelogram and on the cage plates. I didn't dare to look under the cage pivot bolt. It works great, all springs seem perfect, so decided, for a change, not to do a complete overhaul and do not touch anything that's not causing issues. For now I just cleaned it thoroughly, put some oil into the knuckles and pivots and it will live on my desk for a while, waiting for its frame.
It was missing the cable pinch bolt assembly. Thankfully, I had a damaged front Ar derailleur. And looks like any Suntour FD cable pinch bolt assembly fits perfectly. I'm not exacly sure which version of Superbe it is. The parallelogram spring assembly is with a hex bolt, which, would suggest RD-2100 (Superbe). The mounting bolt and tension spring bolt are aluminium and without markings, pulley bolts are aluminium and allen key, which would suggest RD-3100 (1st version of Superbe Pro). Date code is September 1977. So it's all a bit of a puzzle. One thing is sure though: it gave me a serious case of Superbe Lust. Disease, whilst not deadly, rather pricey to treat... I'm working on a C5 frame in need of repairs, so I think after that's ready, I will try to equip it with a full Superbe gruppo from the late 70's. This is going to be painful for my wallet, especially the crankset, but I think the frame is deserving to be a showcase of the best the 70's cycling industry had to offer. Also, I think it's one of the best looking derailleurs ever made. At least one that actually does what it's desigend to do, unlike some other derailleurs of the era.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 01-07-23, 05:32 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster;[url=tel:22755863
22755863[/url]]I never have and those Panasonic's have never failed me. Has to be a broken wire or a short somewhere.
Figured it out, there was schmutz/corrosion on the contact rings for the ground terminal. A bit of steel wool
polishing and the lights came on.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 01-07-23, 05:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Figured it out, there was schmutz/corrosion on the contact rings for the ground terminal. A bit of steel wool
polishing and the lights came on.
There's always some schmutz mucking up the deal, rub out the schmutz!
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-09-23, 05:45 AM
janthenat

Bikes: 1995 GT Tequesta, 20?? Miele Toscana 300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
New Rose '87 Sport SX, very nice Bianchi. My first real road bike was one of those albeit in black. It will be a great rider
Also my first road bike, in mint celeste… I think I have a picture of it around here somewhere, I’ll have to scrounge a bit. I splurged and bought a full Campagnolo Athena (the original) group set for it, which was very nice. Bittersweet memories having sold it ages ago.

Now I'm wondering if the SX and Sport SX are different? I believe the Sport SX frame was made in Taiwan and not Italy. Photo found (taken prior to Athena upgrade)...

Last edited by janthenat; 01-09-23 at 09:09 AM.
Likes For janthenat:
Old 01-09-23, 09:38 AM
janthenat

Bikes: 1995 GT Tequesta, 20?? Miele Toscana 300

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Somewhat lately... I disassembled my 1995 GT Tequesta gravel conversion in order to build a new gravel bike on the Miele frame in the background. Other parts on the way, and prepping to build new wheels from the existing rims + Shimano M525 disc hubs.

Old 01-09-23, 01:12 PM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Glad to hear these make good riders! I'm building it up for a friend (though I would most likely keep it if fit me).

Originally Posted by janthenat
Also my first road bike, in mint celeste… I think I have a picture of it around here somewhere, I’ll have to scrounge a bit. I splurged and bought a full Campagnolo Athena (the original) group set for it, which was very nice. Bittersweet memories having sold it ages ago.

Now I'm wondering if the SX and Sport SX are different? I believe the Sport SX frame was made in Taiwan and not Italy. Photo found (taken prior to Athena upgrade)...

Having not researched much, my guess is if there is a "sport" version of something, the non "sport" version is a step up. I can't make out the decal on your seat tube but it looks like it says Bianchi something or other, as opposed to the "Tange 900 CR-MO Double Butted Tubes" mine says.
Old 01-14-23, 03:20 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
@Wildwood is thinning the herd, and @Mr. 66 and I were fortunate to have been bestowed several beautiful bikes. Here are two I've been wrenching.

I fully overhauled this '72 Bottecchia a few years ago for him and just had to tweak a few things this time. It came back to me without a seatpost, and I chose to file down a 27.2, which was a real *****. Unfortunately, the saddle is creaking now, so there's still some work to do on that.

I was really happy with adjusting these center pulls. Normally takes me forever to do that, but it went by really quickly this time. However, the maiden voyage tells me there's still work to do there.

I had to source a few more parts and fully overhaul this '84 Pinarello. @Mr. 66 provided crank arms and brake levers. The original S600 arm tapers were a little deformed. They weren't horrible, and maybe they would have worked, but the chain line didn't give me the warm fuzzies. The S600 replacements are perfect.

This bike is basically done, but I'll be on the lookout for a black Turbo-style replacement saddle. And, like the Bott, if I want to ride it at all before selling, I'll definitely have to add clips and straps.

​​​​​​

Last edited by SurferRosa; 01-14-23 at 05:20 PM.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-14-23, 05:00 PM
Monkitoucher

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Yeti SB130, Primus Mootry Adventure Bike, Funk Pro Comp/Durango, Ellsworth Enlightenment, Colnago Nuovo Mexico, Orange Krate

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 16 Posts
Got this put together.

Likes For Monkitoucher:
Old 01-14-23, 05:13 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,908 Times in 1,139 Posts
I spent a couple of minutes today to replace the sealed bearings in Jdawg's Superbe rear derailleur. Same bearings as were in the Bulls Eye jockeys from the 1980's. Smiles, MH
Old 01-14-23, 07:41 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkitoucher
Got this put together.

The Datsun and Alfa caught my eye more.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 01-14-23, 08:12 PM
john903
john903

Bikes: Curtlo, CHE cos'e,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts
Yea me to. Tell us more. I see Alfa GTA, Datsun 2000?, Bmw R90s, a couple Vespa's or Lambrettas. Oh and oh course the nice Colnago.
Have a great day.
Old 01-14-23, 08:17 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 542 Posts
Me three! Looks like a GT Junior. A joy on a twisty road.

Oh yeah, nice ‘nag too. 😇
Old 01-14-23, 08:54 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Yeah, those Alfa's sing!
Old 01-14-23, 10:17 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 3,728 Times in 1,831 Posts
Tire swap on the Cuevas, from the rotten ones that came on it, to a set of 32mm gatorskins that came from an auction buy. Went better with an assist from @FBinNY (chopsticks). https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...estions-p.html
Was getting excited for a ride, until I moved onto the next step. Less happy with re-assembly of the Dura-Ace "Dyna drive" pedals. They still feel crunchy when tightened what seems like the required amount? Spin free if not fully tightened. The bearings and raceways looked and felt clean, when I had everything disassembled. Not sure what the issue is? Only schematic I have found seems to be for a slight variant on what I have or I don't understand something about the assembly. No clear numbers or marks on the pedals to indicate exact model.

If mine are the same model (Cuevas has Dura-Ace EX sticker on seat tube) as the schematic then I am missing #5, on both pedals, but not sure how that would work since #4 & #6 on mine are the bearing raceways. I am also missing #1, on both pedals, again wondering if there is an EX variant?

Last edited by SoCaled; 01-14-23 at 10:17 PM. Reason: comma
Old 01-14-23, 10:59 PM
Monkitoucher

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Yeti SB130, Primus Mootry Adventure Bike, Funk Pro Comp/Durango, Ellsworth Enlightenment, Colnago Nuovo Mexico, Orange Krate

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by john903
Yea me to. Tell us more. I see Alfa GTA, Datsun 2000?, Bmw R90s, a couple Vespa's or Lambrettas. Oh and oh course the nice Colnago.
Have a great day.
I wish it was a GTA... It's just a GTV. All the other stuff... followed me home at one point or another. The Datsun is a 67.5 1600. Vespas are a VM2T, VBB, and a VLA. The Lambrettas are a li125 Ser1. and a li150 Silver Special. And the airhead is a R100S.
Likes For Monkitoucher:
Old 01-14-23, 11:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by SoCaled
Tire swap on the Cuevas, from the rotten ones that came on it, to a set of 32mm gatorskins that came from an auction buy. Went better with an assist from @FBinNY (chopsticks). https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...estions-p.html
Was getting excited for a ride, until I moved onto the next step. Less happy with re-assembly of the Dura-Ace "Dyna drive" pedals. They still feel crunchy when tightened what seems like the required amount? Spin free if not fully tightened. The bearings and raceways looked and felt clean, when I had everything disassembled. Not sure what the issue is? Only schematic I have found seems to be for a slight variant on what I have or I don't understand something about the assembly. No clear numbers or marks on the pedals to indicate exact model.

If mine are the same model (Cuevas has Dura-Ace EX sticker on seat tube) as the schematic then I am missing #5, on both pedals, but not sure how that would work since #4 & #6 on mine are the bearing raceways. I am also missing #1, on both pedals, again wondering if there is an EX variant?
Seems like there is a counterintuitive step that is not spelled out anywhere, can't remember where it came up but pretty sure.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...d-process.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ve-pedals.html
Old 01-15-23, 08:40 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Me too.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 01-15-23, 09:31 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Other than scanning some more catalogs and stuff from the '90s not a lot bike related stuff going on this weekend. I did have to explore down into this crevasse to remove this nut to replace a single small marker light. I no sooner got it back together when I realized my 7/16 ratcheting wrench was here and not at work. However there was enough room to use it anyway. Tomorrow I get to tear the Brier apart to replace a rear turn signal lamp.

Monkitoucher I'm digging the Alfa and Datsun too

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 01-15-23, 09:39 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
The EX pedals were entirely different from the AX pedals. There is a lower model AX pedal (the PD-6300) that may have compatible dustcaps.
Old 01-15-23, 09:45 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by drewfio
Glad to hear these make good riders! I'm building it up for a friend (though I would most likely keep it if fit me).

Having not researched much, my guess is if there is a "sport" version of something, the non "sport" version is a step up. I can't make out the decal on your seat tube but it looks like it says Bianchi something or other, as opposed to the "Tange 900 CR-MO Double Butted Tubes" mine says.
There was a Sport and Sport SS, higher model until '84 (at least for Bianchi USA) and it became the Sport SX. To my knowledge neither were built in Italy

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 01-15-23, 11:32 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The EX pedals were entirely different from the AX pedals. There is a lower model AX pedal (the PD-6300) that may have compatible dustcaps.
I went and looked up the Pd-6300 which led me to this:

"sbarner Certified Vintage on 09/06/22 There seem to have been at least two different versions of the Dyna Drive pedals that were stamped Dura Ace AX. The steel cage on both versions is the same, but different from the PD-7200 Dura Ace EX variant, and not interchangeable. The early EX cage used a separate piece for a toe clip loop, attached using the outer cage screw. The difference in the two AX bodies I have seen is a beefing up of the aluminum where the bearing attaches. This is probably the later of the two, as the ones I have seen have also had the later version of the bearing that uses a large blue dust cap over the inside bearing end, which seals water out better than the original, brown, plastic ring. Sometime before this change, the toe clip clamp piece went from a symmetric to an asymmetric design that provided a little more support for the shoe on the outside. It would be interesting to learn if all versions of the bearings for the DA DD pedals are interchangeable as a unit." https://velobase.com/viewcomponent.a...5b751b&enum=10..

So it looks like mine are PD-7200 EX pedals - although not all seem to have the separate toe clip
This is the version I have
https://www.velosaloon.com/products/...raps-from-1981

Last edited by SoCaled; 01-15-23 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 01-15-23, 11:54 AM
SoCaled 

Originally Posted by merziac
Seems like there is a counterintuitive step that is not spelled out anywhere, can't remember where it came up but pretty sure.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...d-process.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ve-pedals.html

Thanks for the links I had read those before I did the dis-assembly, but had not gone back. The bold section from your quote gave me the clue I needed, but backwards. For dis-assembly order of operations doesn't really matter. For re-assembly Cone has to be tightened until pedal spins smoothly (I was over-tightening as there is no "stop" without the set screw in place) you adjust cone until correct, then set screw locks that distance. Too loose and it wobbles, too tight and it grinds, actually very intuitive I was just not using my brain. The (use set screw for dailing position) part is either not included in "assembly" above or on the next page not scanned.
Old 01-15-23, 06:14 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts

For now Mrs. ascherer’s Grand Jubilé can come off the stand. Transplanting the wheel set and Tiagra derailleurs from her Lotus went smoothly, save for getting the shift cable head slightly jammed inside the lever. Had to partially disassemble the lever, and the silver lining is it got a cleaning in the process.
Other enhancements include Tektro 559s, MKS Sylvans, lights, rack, and fresh bottle cage. I’d planned to put a triple up front but couldn’t rustle up an appropriate spindle so I kept the 49D intact. I would like to put something like a 46/30 setup on it before the season starts but as she’s just recovering from rotator cuff surgery, I have some time.

Next up is basic fleet maintenance and cleaning.

Old 01-15-23, 07:11 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by ascherer
For now Mrs. ascherer’s Grand Jubilé can come off the stand. Transplanting the wheel set and Tiagra derailleurs from her Lotus went smoothly, save for getting the shift cable head slightly jammed inside the lever. Had to partially disassemble the lever, and the silver lining is it got a cleaning in the process.
Other enhancements include Tektro 559s, MKS Sylvans, lights, rack, and fresh bottle cage. I’d planned to put a triple up front but couldn’t rustle up an appropriate spindle so I kept the 49D intact. I would like to put something like a 46/30 setup on it before the season starts but as she’s just recovering from rotator cuff surgery, I have some time.

Next up is basic fleet maintenance and cleaning.
Great work, just simply looks so good.

Moto's are fantastic and make our efforts look good, they always look great to me no matter what and always ratchet way up when we lean in and apply the elbow grease.
Likes For merziac:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.