Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Top quality mechanical disc brakes short list

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Top quality mechanical disc brakes short list

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-22, 06:13 AM
Germany_chris
I知 a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Has anyone tried the mechanical calipers that VO is carrying?
Old 12-04-22, 12:52 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 441 Posts
I recently picked up these Onirii/ZRace BR-05 cable hydraulic brake calipers from AliExpress for less than $45 USD. I also have GRX hydraulic and Juin Tech F1 calipers on my other bikes for comparison. I recently tested the brakes on my usual uphill/steep downhill route. Braking power is equal if not slightly better than the Juin Tech F1s when properly setup. They're a bit more finicky compared to Juin Tech calipers, but allow cable barrel adjustments and pad space adjustments with a hex wrench. You can also dial them further if your brake levers also have pull adjustments. I barely have to squeeze the brake lever before locking up the rotors and that's using regular, non-compressionless brake housing. Also the cable clamp sits closer to the rotor allowing a straight path for the brake cable, unlike the F1s that have the clamp on the outside bending the cable.

The BR-05 are not as good as full hydraulic, but for the price, plus the ability to add compressionless housing and stronger brake pads, these have to be the best value calipers on the market right now. They're equal and in some ways better than the Juin Tech F1s.

Old 12-04-22, 01:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Has anyone tried the mechanical calipers that VO is carrying?
I definitely don't own them, though I've been curious- $350 is a serious cost to incur just to try something out when brakes that cost half as much work equally well.
And for $120 more you get hydraulic brakes and 105 shifters. https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...ed-119868.html

I've seen multiple video reviews of the Growtac and read a dozen site reviews too. They seem to be well made and simple.

I guess the upside is they cost $140 less than Paul Klampers and you still get the matchy matchy colors. Cool.
Old 12-04-22, 02:53 PM
Germany_chris
I知 a little Surly

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I definitely don't own them, though I've been curious- $350 is a serious cost to incur just to try something out when brakes that cost half as much work equally well.
And for $120 more you get hydraulic brakes and 105 shifters. https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...ed-119868.html

I've seen multiple video reviews of the Growtac and read a dozen site reviews too. They seem to be well made and simple.

I guess the upside is they cost $140 less than Paul Klampers and you still get the matchy matchy colors. Cool.
The problem is no matter the love for Spyres which the internet loves I couldn't get the braking performance I wanted form them so I bought Klampers and I'm curious to see if they're Klampers on the cheap.
Old 12-04-22, 02:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
The problem is no matter the love for Spyres which the internet loves I couldn't get the braking performance I wanted form them so I bought Klampers and I'm curious to see if they're Klampers on the cheap.
gotcha. Russ at PLP reviewed both as a compare/contrast along with a hybrid brake.
He went into detail with which he tjiught was better for feel, performance, etc etc.
https://www.pathlesspedaled.com/2022...growtac-equal/
Old 12-04-22, 03:04 PM
Germany_chris
I知 a little Surly

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
gotcha. Russ at PLP reviewed both as a compare/contrast along with a hybrid brake.
He went into detail with which he tjiught was better for feel, performance, etc etc.
https://www.pathlesspedaled.com/2022...growtac-equal/
I watched the video but that's not exactly a long term review