Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 04-22-22, 09:50 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Wow. 30 seconds per mile is huge. I would have loved to have the super shoes when I was racing 10K. How does one not wear those shoes and be competitive?
The original Nike advertisement and name for their supershoe was “5%”. So if going 10min miles that is 30sec a mile faster. Even a 6min/mi person would still get what, 17 sec or so a mile?

I will say though I couldn’t run long daily runs in them week in and week out. After a break from running for the TT training I will probably buy their friendlier “speed” version for training. They have good reviews for that and combo using for a spirited run.

After the TT I will probably keep the run volume weekly as I find since I TT and dont need a lot of sprint power or repeatable 1min power that the fitness translates fine if I am careful strategy wise. Then if a local duathlon pops up I can just do a week of brick workouts and be ready also.

It would be neat to try to both have a sub 21min 10mi TT and a sub 20min 5k run pace.

I think I also still owe wife’s friend being a “mule” for 13mi of a 24 hr run they are doing. So have to keep it up so that is easy enough to do later.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-22-22, 11:19 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,571 Posts
2.5 hrs on the Zwift this morning. 2x20' z3 on the TT bike in position, then more on the road bike with a 20' min Zwift race, got 4th (Crit City A).

This afternoon - headed up to Mt Laguna for some car camping and mtn biking with friends. Very excited. I'll get another ~90 min on MTB in this afternoon, 3+ tomorrow with a ~3k ft climb, and more easy meadow riding on Sunday. Cold today but warming tomorrow. Fun!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-26-22, 08:23 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I had a heart attack and heart surgery a year ago, so compared to then I am way, way ahead of the training game, I can beat the heck out of the me from a year ago in any physical contest.
Likes For beng1:
Old 04-27-22, 10:45 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Took the day off so I could go long - 6 hrs. Ended up dealing with some RD problems for a bit and feeling groggy, so I opted for 4 on Zwift, stringing together some B rides for a ~3 w/kg pace. Plenty to do around the house so it's all good.

I think ill cap off next block w a big one on the weekend. I like to do that once per block.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-28-22, 08:16 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
3 hour track workout on Tuesday at the indoor track. 80 lap warmup and then flying kilo acceleration. 2x56 lap pace line effort at 25 mph with a 4xflying 500 meter team sprints between the 56 lap efforts. I did not know at the time that after the sprints, I had another 56 laps. After the kilo accelerations, I used 98 gear inches (51/14). Pretty gonzo workout.
Old 04-28-22, 07:33 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
weird couple of weeks, last week was visiting in-laws and doing interval workouts on a stages spin bike at a gym with bad cooling wasn't motivating so I did a lot of z2, came home Friday and on Sat did a briskly paced metric in 3:15 outdoors, with another 2.5 inside sunday for nearly 14hrs for the week. This week was scheduled to be an easier week so I've done 60-90 z2, with the exception of today, I did a 30min effort at 95% to open up the legs a bit in case I race Sat. Thinking of doubling up in 4/5 40+ (where I hope to be in the mix somehow) and 1-4 40+ which should be more fun since I'd have about 5 teammates and one of them should certainly podium. We'll see, it's a 2hr drive each way starting at 5am, that's the downside of racing around here, nothing super local like with my CX races
Old 05-01-22, 05:47 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

No more running till TT regionals. Converting the fitness over now. A big aerobic week this week, and a few days next week. Then on to the TT intervals and simulated runs.

I also need one last fit session with the Notio.
Old 05-02-22, 05:08 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Raced saturday. Started a breakaway 1.5hrs in, 4 bridged up after a few minutes. Got completely raked over the coals until we were caught like 15 minutes later - simply couldn't recover from my initial jump and solo effort and was dying doing the equivalent of low sweet spot. I felt pretty bad for ruining the rhythm, I definitely prevented any sort of cohesion from forming.

Post mortem assessment - I am thinking it's a combo of not sitting out of the rotation for long enough to regain my composure and needing more race miles. I've done very little work above vo2 this year so far, so it makes sense that those sorts of efforts are difficult for me to recover from, and that should develop naturally the more racing I get in. I'm not really sure what I'd aim for during training rides to train this particular weakness so I suppose I will experiment a bit. On the plus side, this means I'm fit enough to instigate breakaways in p/1/2 fields, so I can't be all that far off.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 05-03-22, 05:15 AM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Raced saturday. Started a breakaway 1.5hrs in, 4 bridged up after a few minutes. Got completely raked over the coals until we were caught like 15 minutes later - simply couldn't recover from my initial jump and solo effort and was dying doing the equivalent of low sweet spot. I felt pretty bad for ruining the rhythm, I definitely prevented any sort of cohesion from forming.

Post mortem assessment - I am thinking it's a combo of not sitting out of the rotation for long enough to regain my composure and needing more race miles. I've done very little work above vo2 this year so far, so it makes sense that those sorts of efforts are difficult for me to recover from, and that should develop naturally the more racing I get in. I'm not really sure what I'd aim for during training rides to train this particular weakness so I suppose I will experiment a bit. On the plus side, this means I'm fit enough to instigate breakaways in p/1/2 fields, so I can't be all that far off.
I raced Sat too! I didn't hang around to see your field, had to make the 2hr trek back to my parents' home where I was staying this past weekend. I did the 4/5 40+ and basically sat on front the whole first lap, no one tried to animate things and I guess people were happy to just let me do all the work lol So that was 260w/266NP and only 22.2 mph lol After that people started to get more animated and I was happy to try and sit in as much as I could. I bridged up to a forming break on lap 2, but everyone was sitting up looking around when I made it to that group and the field was soon with us. A few other moves went which I really didn't concern myself with since it seemed like the group was up to chase anything down. I was 5th wheel coming close to the finish, was kind of poorly positioned for the sprint (I was on the right and there was a car parked so I had to choose a different line and not crash anyone). But finished 10th which is my best ever lol It felt good to be in contention right until the very end, hoping my A race in a couple of weeks will be similar, with the added feature of a climb to potential create more of a selection

I figured going into it that I wouldn't have enough to do anything on my own, my sweet spot power equates to 22ish mph like in the first lap where I was effectively riding solo and the laps where I sat in were 23.6mph (my teammates in the 1-4 40+ did 24.6 so my field was slow). Even having better wheels instead of my stock Axis sport wheels wouldn't have gotten me enough, I don't think. So eventually I'll have to pull the trigger on something slightly better since I've done all the other low hanging aero things!
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-03-22, 10:35 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Why did you ride the front so much? Team orders? Might I suggest falling back, sprinting from 5-6 wheels back, settling into a VO2 max interval and then riding SST? If you don't have a gap 1 minute into the VO2 interval, pull the plug. And watch for the counter!
Old 05-03-22, 11:30 AM
hubcyclist

i was riding solo and just felt good with my pace up front, I tried rotating a few times and people weren't really coming up to take the lead, so I just kinda did it but didn't push myself too hard. Once things started getting going 2nd lap I avoided being on the front and let other people shut down any attacks. In hindsight, I wish I had tried for a good vo2 interval near the end, had I given it a good effort it might have made things interesting. I was just happy for once to be finally doing stuff besides hanging on and not getting dropped lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-03-22, 11:36 AM
hubcyclist

at 53:40 on this video I pop out from the left side and move near the front, and it's evidently about 3mins from the finish, I think if there was a chance for a YOLO move that might have been it, but I would have had to give it a really strong push at first, because my gradual approach got everyone on alert

Old 05-03-22, 01:42 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

How much you weigh? The w/mph there seems a bit low.

Either way, there are "peak and fade" vo2 intervals you can do to both get used to doing that and also be able to judge your effort/speed capabilities doing that. As it really depends on the pack speed. If they're going faster than you realize and you jump, it will be doomed. If they're going slower for any reason, better. Like a lazy speed around a corner you could take much faster alone.

Weeknight worlds I've made the mistake on the shallower earlier hill how fast we were going up that sucker when I would jump and try to start a break with a couple guys. If folks are lazy that night and we're going up it at like 20mph, perfect chance. If folks have a hair up their bottoms that night going nuts and we're going up it at like 23mph......doomed doomed doomed.
Old 05-04-22, 04:53 AM
hubcyclist

i'm 160ish, and the various modeling stuff I've tried (mywindsock, bike calculator) model 22mph for 260ish, would love to unlock more speed, esp since I want to try to do a solo century averaging 21mph after doing 20mph last summer. already have aero helmet, skinsuit, 38cm aero profile bars, and gp5000s with lightweight butyl tubes (I am gonna go latex), only thing missing from my current setup are wheels, but I don't think that'll unlock more than 0.5mph. Oh and I guess aero socks are a bit of extra I can get too lol
Old 05-04-22, 08:40 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

It was quite windy too, with a headwind for half the loop and a tailwind for the other half. Yeah the wind should somewhat cancel itself out, but it never totally does.
Old 05-05-22, 11:08 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I really hate I took off and forgot and left off the aerometer for that duathlon. I should have put it back on by now to track some TT training rides. Today just doing 40ish minutes of threshold in aero. The speed looked "alright" on the segments, but it's soooo deceiving on the country roads with so many patches of different pavement and little bumps in the road that for elevation the gps won't pick up.

Best flattish "speed trap" out and back I could manage to "trap" was 27mph on 270w avg. Not the fastest helmet, the training tt helmet and no skinsuit. I had put my bottle in my back pocket along with my saddle bag also. So not sure how much "penalty" that all was worth.

I don't really do the team kit thing unless my own local team I'm on OR the pro team my company sponsors. So the pro team we sponsor is dumping some 2021 kit and I picked up an unworn winter jersey and unworn San Remo style suit for like $150 total. I use the San Remo style suits to train TT in the summer. Cooler than a LS skinsuit but kinda built to go fast. Plus for visibility it's navy blue but has a bright neon yellow stripe in the middle you cannot miss which is nice.

I have go-ahead for a cross bike build from the wife. Yahhhh.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-05-22, 02:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Double-up day, moderate interval workout this morning with 1x5' @ 110%, 1x20' at 98%, 1x3' at 120%, plus commuting. Going to the track tonite to do a madison workout, which is a great over/under effort. We usually do two or three for 45-60' of riding. Should be good for about 3 hrs total with some threshold, VO2 and Z5/6 intensity.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-07-22, 02:00 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Intended to go for ~6 hrs long, but I ran into some buddies on their way up to the SDBC ride and thought I might try to sit in for a while. Yeah, right, totally smashed it. So I cut it an hour short lol and still got in 92 miles, 5 hrs and a hefty dose of z5+. Legs felt like death from 3.5 to 4 hrs but they started to come around at the end.

Now I'm thinking I'll do my big 'ol 6 hour ride over Memorial Day weekend. Might be the last one of that length till later in the year.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-07-22, 02:18 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Notio back on the bike for a Z2 out/back laps and one Z4 lap for funsies. Notio pretty consistently giving me around .195 .0045 combined CdA crr. I'm pleased with that.

I don't plan to adjust anything at this point, I'll wait till the week before and put the arm pad foam on. It's been off as the bolts to adjust a few things are hidden under the arm pads. Thinking of it now though, not sure why I'd think that if all I need to do is trim a hole for each screw to pass thru. Doh.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-11-22, 07:10 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Max sprint power is back up to 1177w (PB is 1230). Also hit 1020W for 15 seconds today, which is far and away a personal best.

I tilted my saddle down a bit yesterday and the issues I posted about regarding not being able to recover in a breakaway seem to have been resolved. I had leveled my seat off like 3 weeks ago in an attempt to make my fit look less goofy...but I'm really not flexible at all, so the perfectly level seat was making me overengage my hamstrings and also caused me to use my lower back in ways it should not be used. Lower power output and lower time to exhaustion. Anyway, it doesn't feel like I'm fighting the bike anymore, and numbers were much more normal yesterday even with tired legs. Will try a longer ftp interval sometime later this week to confirm.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 05-11-22, 09:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Rest week vibes, not much besides commuting. Today, 30' in position on the TT bike indoors, then I took the short route in (30'). Evening ride home was pleasant.

This weekend, it's my club's race, the Barrio Logan GP, an 8-corner crit up and down a big ring hill. I will be racing the 2/3 then the 35/45+ open and trying to get off the front in search of points in both races. I should have the legs to get results in either results barring any accidents. Hopefully luck is on my side!

Sunday morning, Fiesta Island time trial. Not sure if I will race the 35+ or 1-3 open, 20k distance. I have a double 1up hitch rack coming in the mail, hopefully I can get it installed in time for the TT so I can set up my TT bike at home and put it on the rack instead of trying to configure it at 6 in the morning in the parking lot.

Last edited by TMonk; 05-12-22 at 07:34 AM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-12-22, 08:29 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Saturday and Sunday 1.5 hour endurance rides along the coast.
Monday, strength training
Tuesday, Velo Sports Center structured track workout with coach. Warmup, flying kilo accelerations, 20’ (53 laps) in pursuit position 24.5 mph and then 5x500 meter flying max efforts in a team of 5 taking turns leading out.
Today, Fiesta 30on/30off plus tempo
Sunday Fiesta time trial and we have 4 in my age group maybe more. Podium not assured. Who are these guys - Butch Cassidy.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-16-22, 06:48 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Last year I got 32 points toward the 40 I needed for a cat 2 upgrade and really just ran out of races, along with skipping some that I should had done; I got overconfident that I had it in the bag. I was pumped coming into this year, but the 3/4 crit series that I relied on isn't happening. I spose if I'm not scrounging for points everywhere, I can go a little more YOLO in races, and maybe have more fun overall.
Likes For Yep:
Old 05-16-22, 07:17 AM
hubcyclist

Did 14hrs last week and 15hrs this past week, I'm basically pro lol Taking it easy this week, my A race (my club's event) is this Saturday,not that I'm expecting a podium or anything, just want to put on a good showing at a club event.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-18-22, 11:07 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm still alive, I've been racing almost every weekend to get my 3 upgrade. Yesterday I got 3rd in TNW's, which was a nice ego boost, especially since I've been getting my teeth kicked in at crits. I'm going to have to figure out how to get some faster separation speed, because my breaks haven't been working, at least on the flats (which, haven't worked for anyone else in those races either).
Likes For furiousferret:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.