Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Heavy rider and hybrid bike rims

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-04-22, 05:20 PM
bikesandtrucks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, I own a Specialized Sirrus hybrid bike. I'm quiet heavy (around 300 pounds). My rear rim wiggles even after spokes adjustment. My LBS suggests to adjust the spokes.

I would like to change the rim and tire to feel secure for longer rides. (I'm a lil bit anxious). What would you suggest? My budget is around 200 - 300 $ CAD.

Presently my tire is a Nimbus 700 - 32c
Old 06-04-22, 05:35 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Here is the Specialized 2022 Rider / Bike Weight Limit Appendix: 0000171141.pdf

Go to page 8 (Acrobat p. 9). Which version do you have? The more basic models are all good up to 300 lbs.

What do you mean by the rear rim wiggles? Does it happen when you are both pedaling and just freewheeling?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-04-22, 05:41 PM
bikesandtrucks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry for my bad english (My everyday language is french). Well the bike is ok .. I would like to change rims and tires because my rear rim when rotates goes from left to right.

Last edited by bikesandtrucks; 06-04-22 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-04-22, 06:00 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by bikesandtrucks
Sorry for my bad english (My everyday language is french). Well the bike is ok .. I would like to change rims and tires because my rear rim when rotates goes from left to right.
Je comprends.

Perhaps your tire is just not mounted properly and/or your wheel needs to be trued.

If you mount your bike on a work stand (or place it upside down on the floor) and turn the crank by hand (in the direction you would pedal), does the wheel and tire wobble left and right as they rotate?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-04-22, 06:34 PM
bikesandtrucks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes (not now because the spokes were adjusted). If I ride it 1-2 times they will do it again. Do you have a suggestion of a sturdy type of rims and puncture proof tires?
Old 06-04-22, 06:51 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Yes (not now because the spokes were adjusted). If I ride it 1-2 times they will do it again.
I see. So after every ride (or every two rides) the spoke tension gets all out of whack and the wheel starts to wobble, right?

Do you have a suggestion of a sturdy type of rims and puncture proof tires?
Sorry, no. How many spokes are there on your current rear wheel? Hopefully not < 32?

The entry level hybrid bikes from every manufacturer (Trek FX, Cannondale Quick, Specialized Sirrus, etc.) tend to come with the most basic wheels. If you weigh > 300 lbs., you may want to have a local bike shop or wheel builder build you a set of custom wheels. Slightly wider tires (e.g., 35 mm or 38 mm wide) at a slightly lower pressures may also reduce the stresses on the wheels as you are riding along.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-04-22, 07:20 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Yes (not now because the spokes were adjusted). If I ride it 1-2 times they will do it again. Do you have a suggestion of a sturdy type of rims and puncture proof tires?
That does sound like your spokes or nipples are bad, rather than your rims - but maybe.
It also sounds like your shop is blowing you off - maybe try another who will listen to you.
If you're settled on different wheels, we really don't have enough info to go on, and your budget is a little thin for custom.
300 pounds is not too much weight for the right wheels though - so don't lose hope.
Maybe check eBay and other places and find some examples you can link to so we can help evaluate them for you.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-04-22, 07:35 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Do spokes or nipples 'go bad' ?

obviously spokes can break and nipples can fail at the threads - but is it possible the tech is not truing the wheel ideally (or properly) and using the correct amount of tension and/or pre-tensioning or whatever they do to ensure the wheel remains true ?
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-04-22, 07:40 PM
bikesandtrucks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What do you think of those Wheel Shop Evo Tour 16 700C Wheel? Can't put a link not enough messages sorry
Likes For bikesandtrucks:
Old 06-04-22, 08:41 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
Many of them!
Ryde Andra 30 -- probably the strongest
Velocity Atlas and many others

Do you have QR or thru axle hubs? Disc or rim brakes? What is the widest tire you can fit?

Maybe the stock wheels you have are not that bad. As you said, you need to adjust the spokes. You need to bring them to the proper tension trying to keep the tension even across the spokes. You will have have one value for the right (drive side) and another value for the left (non drive side) spokes.

I am a heavy rider at 280# myself, and what I described worked for me with a 32H stock wheel.
Likes For csport:
Old 06-04-22, 09:55 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
There are several different versions of Specialized Sirrus bicycles. Which specific model do you have? Different models have different wheels
Old 06-04-22, 10:08 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
What do you think of those Wheel Shop Evo Tour 16 700C Wheel? Can't put a link not enough messages sorry
You'd probably be satisfied with those. I might try looking for similar with 36 spokes though.

And you can't post a link but you can fake it... like this.
https:// www. rei.com. /product/202024/evo-tour-20-black-700c-rear-wheel
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-05-22, 05:04 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
here is an exampled of pretty heavy duty wheel set 36h rim https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...qec58jacv1mnn3

and here is a tire idea balances performance and tough https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...tr=3755&sg=505

a lot depends on your location. Many people shop UK bikes shops online. I have purchased from UK, Germany and italy in the last 3 months

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-08-22, 01:40 PM
bikesandtrucks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found some Mavic 32h rims that fits my budget (MAVIC XM819 29''). This season I don't have much money for my bike it will be temporary.

Is it worth to change my original rim for this one? It won't be perfect but I want it to be more durable so I won't readjust rims each week.

Is it possible to correct the wobble without expensive tools (Do it myself?)

Also, is it a good idea to change for a new tire to reduce punctures? Is it true that some tire a really puncture proof or it's just marketing?
Old 06-08-22, 03:54 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
I found some Mavic 32h rims that fits my budget (MAVIC XM819 29''). Is it worth to change my original rim for this one?
IMO you should go with a 36 hole setup. A 32 hole heavy duty setup may be OK but I would rather have the extra strength of the 36 hole for your weight.
Old 06-08-22, 05:59 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
IMO you should go with a 36 hole setup. A 32 hole heavy duty setup may be OK but I would rather have the extra strength of the 36 hole for your weight.
Does having 32 vs. 36 spokes really make much of a difference nowadays given contemporary metallurgy?
Old 06-08-22, 10:05 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
Also, is it a good idea to change for a new tire to reduce punctures? Is it true that some tire a really puncture proof or it's just marketing?
How many punctures did you have? Is this the link to your tire: https://www.greggscycles.com/product...c-77865-1.htm? It lists the weight of this tire in 700x32c size as 740g, this is already very heavy. Schwalbe Marathon Plus is probably even tougher. It is not just marketing, these tires are more puncture proof, but they are have and (my subjective opinion) can give you a harsh ride.

You can also try ligher, wider and more supple tires at less pressure (e.g., Panaracer Pasela ProTite or similar). I have ridden Supple Vitesse tires, very light (pretty much clones of Rene Herse tires), only had one puncture in 1,000 miles. The Everwears have some puncture protection. Schwalbe Marathon Supreme are good light tires as well. It all depends on where you ride.

Is it possible to correct the wobble without expensive tools (Do it myself?)
Yes. You need a good spoke wrench. Spoke wrench guide -- most likely you need SW-0, if this is the case get the SW-40, it grips the nipple better.

It is also good to have a tensiometer (example of an ultra cheap one -- calibration may go wrong over time etc., but you should still be able to check that the tension is equal). You can also get a more expensive one by Park Tool, or some other established brand.

Do not overtighten the spokes.

Maybe your spokes are not tightened, and the nipples unscrew because of this?

I found some Mavic 32h rims that fits my budget (MAVIC XM819 29''). This season I don't have much money for my bike it will be temporary.
Is it worth to change my original rim for this one? It won't be perfect but I want it to be more durable so I won't readjust rims each week.
Are you going to reuse the hub you have? You may need new spokes as well. See this site for spoke length calculator. You will need to use the mentioned tools for your own build anyway.

We may be able to help you, but you need to give more info on the wheel specs, I and alcjphil asked and you did not reply anything. You can upload the photo of the wheel to your profile, we will be able to see it there.
Do you have disk or rim brakes? If disc, it the wheel quick release or thru axle?
Old 06-09-22, 12:57 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Does having 32 vs. 36 spokes really make much of a difference nowadays given contemporary metallurgy?
The total weight of me, bike, and groceries and stuff weigh more than the OP and I get along fine with 32h wheels, but my 32h wheels were hand built knowing the weight and usage. If I were going to by random machine built wheels off the internet I'd go 36.
Old 06-09-22, 03:48 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Hi, I own a Specialized Sirrus hybrid bike. I'm quiet heavy (around 300 pounds). My rear rim wiggles even after spokes adjustment ... I would like to change the rim and tire to feel secure for longer rides.
IMO, many (even most) wheel combinations that come with factory bicycles often aren't up to the task, particularly if a person is heavier, or the riding or route tougher.

If over 300 lbs, I would suggest an after-market wheelset. Something strongly built, with great components. Probably 36H, strong spokes and nipples, with a somewhat larger (higher-volume) tire to help soften the load.

Take a look at the wheels available on Velomine.com, if you might be considering a new wheelset. Velomine has a variety of well-made wheelsets, with many of them at great prices.

Road Bike wheelsets:
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...ndex&cPath=235

Wheelsets with Velocity rims:
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...&cPath=235_350

Wheelsets for touring, heavy-duty:
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...&cPath=235_312

Something like this, perhaps -- Velocity Cliffhanger rims, 36H, for centerlock disc brakes, Shimano Deore hubs, for US $289 (the pair of wheels):
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=5768

Just ensure the wheelset you choose matches your brake type, brake mount type (centerlock or ISO 6-bolt disc, or rim brake), for the cassette type you have, and with the width of rim suitable for your preferred tire. Add the rim tape and tires, mount your cassette to the hub, and you're ready to go.

BTW, I am heavier and have experience with the Velocity Dyad and the Velocity Cliffhanger rims. If well-built, put together with strong DT Swiss (or similar) spokes, it can be a heavy-duty wheel that easily handles a heavier rider+bike+load.
Old 06-09-22, 07:33 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
If you are having issues with your wheels talk to a competent wheel builder and see what they recommend. A handbuilt wheel is the way to go really for anyone but especially for those of us with a bit more to love. A good wheel builder can suggest the right components to build a good strong durable wheel. I highly recommend something with 36 spokes but the important thing is that everything works together. You want a complete package that will work together so you need a hub and rim that will handle heavier duty spokes. I like Sapim Strong or DT Swiss Alpine III in terms of spokes and Sapim Secure lock nipples or DT Swiss Pro Lock nipples in brass. For hubs you want something with a steel or titanium freehub body and rims something strong for touring and e-bikes. However again a good wheel builder will be able to suggest some good stuff and build a wheel that should last quite a long time. However you will want to still bring the bike in for regular service so they can check the wheels and such.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-09-22, 07:56 AM
Tawraste666

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
If you want to understand the strength of wheels and how their construction deals with cyclic forces spend some time watching Bill Mould on youtube.
Bill's explanations are excellent, and he likes to prove what he is saying.
Here's proof that a sapim spoke can hold 300 pounds on it's own:
https:// youtu.be/ZaLZzJLzr6Qh
there's also a vid of a bicycle wheel supporting the weight of a car being driven.
Likes For Tawraste666:
Old 06-09-22, 08:42 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Get a new rear wheel built with a good hub and new rim. You can get a good double wall rim with 36 spokes and a Shimano freehub rear hub, and find a competent wheel builder to lace it up. A heavier rider needs the maximum spoke tension allowed by the rim and hub.

It might be possible to get your existing rim to work properly as the shop suggested, and even if it doesn't last forever, the only thing that will fail are the spokes, and broken spokes usually allow you to ride home safely.
Old 06-09-22, 06:43 PM
bikesandtrucks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had 1-2 punctures but on 20 rides. Yes my tires now are Nimbus but 700 x 32c.
Old 06-09-22, 08:01 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Hi, I own a Specialized Sirrus hybrid bike. I'm quiet heavy (around 300 pounds). My rear rim wiggles even after spokes adjustment. My LBS suggests to adjust the spokes.

I would like to change the rim and tire to feel secure for longer rides. (I'm a lil bit anxious). What would you suggest? My budget is around 200 - 300 $ CAD.

Presently my tire is a Nimbus 700 - 32c
Your problem isn’t the rim. It’s the spoke. The rim gets all the glory but does very little of the job of strength. This article does a very good job of explaining why. I don’t know of anyone that makes wheels commercially with triple butted spokes but you might be able to find someone that will build them for you. It’s also possible to teach yourself how to build wheels which may be the only way to get the wheels you need.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!