Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Missed it by that much!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Missed it by that much!

Old 06-07-22, 11:01 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Missed it by that much!

I spent a couple of days this weekend sanding down a Nitto Tecnomic stem to fit a French steerer. It took some work, but I got it down to size and then spent some time with progressively finer grit sandpaper and finally a bit of Mother's Mag polish to get it looking like new. I was waiting for a Soma HWY One handlebar to be delivered, and it arrived last night. So with great anticipation, I slid the stem onto the bar, only to find that it wouldn't clear the bend at the drops. I've got like six other bikes using these same bars with Tecnomic stems, so this came as quite a surprise to me. As I was rotating the stem around to various angles trying to get it to pass, it dawned on me what was wrong. This particular Tecnomic stem has a 25.4 mm clamp diameter, and all the ones I've used with these bars are 26.0. Even if I had gotten it around the bend, it wasn't going to work.

Does anyone know of a compact handlebar with a 25.4 mm clamp diameter that comes in silver? Or do I need to get the right stem for my Soma bars and start over with the sanding? I've got a 25.4 mm bar with a more traditional bend, but it's going to put the reach out a lot further than the Soma bars would.
Old 06-07-22, 11:10 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Use a reamer to ream out the 25.4 clamp opening to make it 26.0. I did it once with a brake cylinder honing setup. It took I think 3 sets of honing stones. In hindsight though I should have put an aluminum spacer in the gap. The edge there is what wore down the stones rapidly.
Old 06-07-22, 11:14 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I've heard tales of a unicorn bar called the Nitto 174, but it is hard to find. It's like a short reach Noodle with 25.4 clamp diameter. Blue Lug has it in 38mm and 40mm, which are too narrow for me, but I am on the "notify me" list for 42mm and 44mm. https://global.bluelug.com/catalog/p...view/id/30320/
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 06-07-22, 11:30 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Perhaps look here?

https://whatbars.com/
Likes For nlerner:
Old 06-07-22, 12:05 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
Don't forget that much of the time you won't need to sand down a Nitto stem to fit a metric/French/Swiss steerer if you (a) run a brake cylinder hone down the inside of the steerer tube to remove any corrosion and smooth it up and (b) make sure that the top of the locknut entry is opened out. Allegedly, Nitto stems are actually 21.9. I used this method successfully to fit a Technomic in a Nervor metric steerer on an Allegro - though I don't recall if I had to open up the Motobecane-made-by-Stronglight headset locknut on mine or not.
Old 06-07-22, 01:02 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by nlerner
Perhaps look here?

https://whatbars.com/
Cool site! I wish they had the bar clamp diameter in the table and more drop bars.
Old 06-07-22, 01:05 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Don't forget that much of the time you won't need to sand down a Nitto stem to fit a metric/French/Swiss steerer if you (a) run a brake cylinder hone down the inside of the steerer tube to remove any corrosion and smooth it up and (b) make sure that the top of the locknut entry is opened out. Allegedly, Nitto stems are actually 21.9. I used this method successfully to fit a Technomic in a Nervor metric steerer on an Allegro - though I don't recall if I had to open up the Motobecane-made-by-Stronglight headset locknut on mine or not.
I'm about 50-50 on that. I've had a few fit without modification, including a Soma Sutro. This is the second Nitto I've had to sand down. I was measuring as I went (easier than walking over to the frame constantly to see how I was doing) and it started out pretty close to 22.2.
Old 06-07-22, 01:07 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Use a reamer to ream out the 25.4 clamp opening to make it 26.0. I did it once with a brake cylinder honing setup. It took I think 3 sets of honing stones. In hindsight though I should have put an aluminum spacer in the gap. The edge there is what wore down the stones rapidly.
I kind of like this idea, but I feel like this poor stem has been through enough. Plus, not having a reamer, I can probably sand down another stem with the proper bar clamp size just as easily.
Old 06-07-22, 01:23 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I'm about 50-50 on that. I've had a few fit without modification, including a Soma Sutro. This is the second Nitto I've had to sand down. I was measuring as I went (easier than walking over to the frame constantly to see how I was doing) and it started out pretty close to 22.2.
If you want to offset the cost of a new stem, you'd likely have good luck selling yours here since it's a time-consuming mod many of us would want for ourselves and appreciate not having to undertake.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 06-07-22, 04:03 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
I can't help with a suggestion for bars, but I can confirm that I've also had the unpleasant surprise of finding a Technomic with a 25.4mm handlebar diameter opening when I had previously only encountered ones with a 26.0mm opening. They are out there.

Andy, if you could work with a (non-compact) "anatomic" model, I've got some 44cm (center-to-center) bars with a 25.4mm center section.
Old 06-07-22, 06:30 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Andy, if you could work with a (non-compact) "anatomic" model, I've got some 44cm (center-to-center) bars with a 25.4mm center section.
Compact handlebars and a tall stem are already going to be jarring enough on this bike (1960's Peugeot). While I kind of like anatomic handlebars, I'm afraid vintage bike lovers might storm my garage with pitchforks and torches if I did that. More relevantly, I was extremely surprised a few years back to discover that not only can I feel the difference between 42cm bars (which is what I normally use) and 44cm bars, but the difference is significant enough that I don't like 44's.

In related news, my search led me to this, which was worth the effort if only for comic value: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832378814097.html -- From "SEE bikes" Ali Express offers the "breaking wind bent hander"! I have been known to break wind while on the bike, and this looks like exactly what I was after, but I'm not sure I'm ready to trust my teeth to $8 handlebars from an unknown source.

The buyer Q&A section had this helpful bit of information:

Q: how to think mining machinery set out it?
A: You can put, but will look Collective

I should note that (1) being a typical American I only speak one language, and (2) being a software developer I've probably unleashed worse things on the world than the software that translated that Q&A, but I still got a nice chuckle out of it.

I also enjoyed that each picture says "SEE" in big letters in the corner. Yes, I do see.
Old 06-08-22, 05:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

In related news, my search led me to this, which was worth the effort if only for comic value: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832378814097.html -- From "SEE bikes" Ali Express offers the "breaking wind bent hander"! I have been known to break wind while on the bike, and this looks like exactly what I was after, but I'm not sure I'm ready to trust my teeth to $8 handlebars from an unknown source.
I like the look of that handlebar. What could possibly go wrong? This might be a good time for @nlerner to tell us about those carbon rims bought on aliexpress.
Old 06-08-22, 10:49 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by rhm
I like the look of that handlebar. What could possibly go wrong? This might be a good time for @nlerner to tell us about those carbon rims bought on aliexpress.
I'd be interested to hear about @nlerner's experience. I did decide to order these handlebars. They gave me a coupon for $3, so I figured for $18, shipping included, it was worth a gamble just to see what they look like in person. I figure that all of us who are into vintage bikes take chances on components of unknown safety all the time, so why should I let lack of rebranding keep me away from these?

I realized I'm probably going to have the same issue with getting the stem onto these that I did with the Soma bars, since the problem there was related to the curvature of the bars, not just the stem clamp diameter. But with these bars being so cheap I'd be willing to play around with ideas like crimping the inside of the bend to get the stem past.
Old 06-08-22, 11:31 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Am I the only one here who sometimes puts an Allen wrench into the slot in front of the clamp and with a little twist achieve that .6mm? Forget the hammer as it won't work in this case.
Old 06-08-22, 11:52 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
I'd be interested to hear about @nlerner's experience. I did decide to order these handlebars. They gave me a coupon for $3, so I figured for $18, shipping included, it was worth a gamble just to see what they look like in person. I figure that all of us who are into vintage bikes take chances on components of unknown safety all the time, so why should I let lack of rebranding keep me away from these?

I realized I'm probably going to have the same issue with getting the stem onto these that I did with the Soma bars, since the problem there was related to the curvature of the bars, not just the stem clamp diameter. But with these bars being so cheap I'd be willing to play around with ideas like crimping the inside of the bend to get the stem past.
Pothole at speed + carbon lightweight rims =

Old 06-08-22, 12:03 PM
Andy_K 

Ouch!

Of course, it's well known that carbon assplodes at the first opportunity.
Old 06-08-22, 12:07 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
The bulged and knurled center section on those bars looks EXACTLY like on the handlebar that I broke after some years of cyclocross racing on it (and which I replaced with a Nitto component).
It endured a lot of hard sprinting-mode use before it failed, though I am not a heavy rider.
The Nitto replacement bar had visibly thicker wall thickness at the ends, for what that's worth.

Today's light/cheap bars are likely going to be at least as durable as many of the old French handlebars imo.

I sought a self-aligning method for reaming out stems from 25.4mm to 26.0mm, so came up with this.
The "sandpaper" is heavy-duty and is stiff, cut from a sanding belt (important features for use with this method).
Notice the Allen key in the clamp slot, for adjusting the grip force. The key was withdrawn incrementally during the reaming process.
I got to 25.8mm and called it good (the bar measured 25.9mm avg diameter).
Ironically enough, I could have ordered the exact same stem with a 26.0 diameter clamp.
Oh, and these Origin8/Kalloy stem's quill measures an actual 22mm diameter, so fit all French steerers perfectly (and not wobbly even in a 22.2mm steerer).
One more tidbit:
Many French stem quills measure an actual 21.8mm, who knew!

The ride/handling improvements from changing this bike's narrow/short bar and stem was profound!

Last edited by dddd; 06-08-22 at 12:11 PM.