Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tire Question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubeless Tire Question

Old 06-19-22, 05:06 PM
davidjaxson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Tubeless Tire Question

One of my Topstone has tires that are set up tubeless. The bike has been on my smart trainer for the last year or so without have being ridden outside. I am going on a trip at the end of the month and would like to take this bike with me. What do I need to do in order to get the tires ready since the have not been rotated in a year. Thank you.
Old 06-19-22, 05:22 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjaxson
One of my Topstone has tires that are set up tubeless. The bike has been on my smart trainer for the last year or so without have being ridden outside. I am going on a trip at the end of the month and would like to take this bike with me. What do I need to do in order to get the tires ready since the have not been rotated in a year. Thank you.
By rotated do you mean spinning like when you are riding on the road, or rotated as in swapping front and rear. No reason for the latter. Most likely a fresh shot of sealant would be in order but it they are holding pressure, maybe just take the sealant along with you and add some if you get leakage issues.
Old 06-19-22, 05:27 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I would deflate the tire, remove the valve core, and dip a dipstick into the valve to see how much (if any) liquid sealant is remaining in the tire. If it hasn't been topped off in a year, I'm guessing it'll be pretty dry in there. If so, add sealant through the valve, using either the Stan's drip bottle or a plastic syringe. You want a couple of ounces of liquid in the tire. Once dispensed, replace the valve core, tighten it up, and inflate. Spin and bounce the tire a bit to distribute the sealant, and you're good to go.

Here's a video of the process, if that isn't clear.

Old 06-19-22, 06:32 PM
davidjaxson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I would deflate the tire, remove the valve core, and dip a dipstick into the valve to see how much (if any) liquid sealant is remaining in the tire. If it hasn't been topped off in a year, I'm guessing it'll be pretty dry in there. If so, add sealant through the valve, using either the Stan's drip bottle or a plastic syringe. You want a couple of ounces of liquid in the tire. Once dispensed, replace the valve core, tighten it up, and inflate. Spin and bounce the tire a bit to distribute the sealant, and you're good to go.

Here's a video of the process, if that isn't clear.

https://youtu.be/3p6v0KMxWDc
Thanks for the video.
Old 06-20-22, 10:41 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
My tubeless setups all go flat after a few months of inactivity.

If I were the OP, I'd definitely remove the tires from the wheels, and clean out the old/dried up sealant first. It's likely to be one big glob in there if the wheels have been sitting for a year without moving.

After doing that, I'd clean up the wheel, check the tape job to make sure it's still good, then re-install/seat the tire and add new sealant.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-21-22, 06:12 AM
strathconaman

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 22 Posts
Definitely remove tires and change sealant.