Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Snapping Biceps Femoris Tendon

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-22, 04:23 AM
cinekkk1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, first sorry of my english.I only know that is name snapping biceps femoris tendon (videos on YT). The ultrasound result was good, the doctors said that it shouldn't be dangerous, and only worry about how it would hurt. The physiotherapist recommended stretching and rolling the back of the thigh, but no avail. I ride a bike a bit (about 500-600 km a month), so I am writing a post asking if it is a typical cycling ailment? Maybe someone has it too or had it and healed it?
Old 06-23-22, 11:14 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
No ailment is normal to biking. If you get an injury due to biking, your bike fit is incorrect for you, or you overdid it, and biked too much before you were ready. See a bike fitter. Do what your doctor and you physical therapist says.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-25-22, 12:54 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
You snapped a tendon and your doctor said it shouldn't be dangerous? I think you need to see another doctor. Tendons can take a very long time to heal. Tendons and ligaments are not particularly vascular so they don't get direct blood flow and that really prolongs healing time as all the little mechanisms that heal and repair have to migrate through this tough, avascular tissue. And for the life of me, I cannot see how stretching a damaged tendon is going to benefit you at all. But I'm not a physical therapy nurse. I would still question this treatment though.

And if I may as, in what country do you live?
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 06-25-22, 03:45 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I believe the condition describes a sliding of the tendon upon flexion of the joint. It does not, in English, refer to rupture of the tendon.
If I were in the position the original poster, I would try to look up the physician who treats a local cycling team. He will be experienced, good, and biased toward keeping the patients active in their chosen sports.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 06-25-22, 04:47 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
I believe the condition describes a sliding of the tendon upon flexion of the joint. It does not, in English, refer to rupture of the tendon.
If I were in the position the original poster, I would try to look up the physician who treats a local cycling team. He will be experienced, good, and biased toward keeping the patients active in their chosen sports.
I hope you're right. An actual rupture of a tendon is not something to be taken lightly. I'll assume that what the OP's doctor is saying is "lost in translation". I think referring to a doctor that sees a lot of cyclists is an excellent idea. OP, do that.
Old 06-25-22, 09:59 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I had my arm’s bicep tendon snapped off my forearm. Football injury not biking. Had it reattached and this is something that needs to be done sooner rather than later or it cannot be successfully done,

If your relatively young (like under 50). I highly recommend corrective surgery.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 06-25-22, 10:51 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
That's gotta hurt... Now what was the actual diagnosis? CT? MRI? Sonogram? What degree of Avulsion is it. You most likely need to have the leg immobilized with the knee at a 90° angle. And that's for a long time unless ya get surgery. Then again if in Poland with National Health Care you may have received the diagnosis based on symptoms. Tendon healing can take longer than bone fracture healing.Do your own research and demand some answers if you can. Many of the very best Physical Therapists and Trainers in the USA come from Poland. Wishing you the best...

https://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/s...endon-avulsion

As to the OP:
Originally Posted by cinekkk1
...I am writing a post asking if it is a typical cycling ailment? Maybe someone has it too or had it and healed it?
I don't remember this being a common injury in bicycling on or off road. I have seen the injury with off road motorcycling and Track racing. Those that did have it had many other more serious injuries to be concerned with at the time...

Last edited by zandoval; 06-25-22 at 11:00 PM.