Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

In Defense of a Bag Nobody Likes Very Much

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 09:02 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts

There's a bag design that gets a lot of flak. The best that gets said about it is something like, "They'll do OK, I guess, at least until you can get some real bags."

I am, of course, talking about the folding-pannier rack trunk bag.

One-a-deese:

No love. No respect, even. Jack of all trades, mediocre at everything. Yadda, yadda, yadda.
I respectfully dissent.

Because these bags are not, in fact, a jack of all trades. They are the master of one trade. The trade of living full-time on the rack of a sport-touring bike.

In this role, their lack of capacity isn't an issue, 'cuz they ain't on yer tourin' bike. The rack trunk holds everything you might want for a day ride. But if you ride past a cool store, or a winery / brewery / cheesery, or whatever, and you see something that you wanna take home, you pop out a pannier and shove it in. I can fit a couple of days worth of groceries in it, although frozen pizzas don't quite fit.

Empty, the weight is unnoticeable. The rig doesn't sway or hit the backs of your legs like a similar-size saddlebag might, especially if it's not attached to some kind of support. Which a lighter sport-touring rack does work well for, but the rack trunk draws much less attention to itself when it's not loaded up with stuff. I've had a traditional saddlebag, and I liked it a lot, and I want another one. But this one will spend much more time on the bike.

Sport-touring bikes are cool. They're even cooler with sport-touring bags. And I submit that the zip-out-pannier rack trunk is a great sport-touring bag.

--Shannon
Old 10-01-20, 10:21 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
Who has the time or the inclination to give flak for the type of bag you have on your rack?
If anything, I would give you some flak on the dry rot in your fencing
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 10-01-20, 10:32 PM
VitSports6

Bikes: '92 Trek sour grape 850, DS2 '95 CA&S ZXT tandem, '15 Specialized Rock Hopper 29'r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I’ve used a similar case on the back of my Rock hopper for a few years, run what you brung, it’s your bike, who cares what others use, if it works for you, that’s the key!
Likes For VitSports6:
Old 10-01-20, 11:06 PM
ShannonM

Oh, I'm not worried about what people think of my bike! We've all got preferences, and we all have different ones, and we're all almost always right.

I just figured that these bags needed some promotion, 'cuz I think they're cool, and since they get dissed, I framed around that. Plus the sport-touring angle, which is another thing that I think is cool and deserves a little horn-tooting.

--Shannon
Old 10-01-20, 11:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Sorry, but no horn tooting. We don’t toot horns. Scares the hell out of me when cars come up from behind and do that . Nice bag tho.

Old 10-02-20, 01:49 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I cordially, and respectfully offer my perspective that, “looks do matter”. In this case it is a matter of style. Sure, the functionality you @ShannonM assert is valid, even persuasive. Like Bio-Pace chainring, fanny packs, sheep skin seat covers, and “extension / dual-pull / safety / suicide" brake levers, great ideas often fall out of style. Alas, were never in style.

Offered without prejudice, or judgement.🙂
Old 10-02-20, 02:19 AM
ShannonM

Originally Posted by jlmonte
I cordially, and respectfully offer my perspective that, “looks do matter”. In this case it is a matter of style. Sure, the functionality you @ShannonM assert is valid, even persuasive. Like Bio-Pace chainring, fanny packs, sheep skin seat covers, and “extension / dual-pull / safety / suicide" brake levers, great ideas often fall out of style. Alas, were never in style.

Offered without prejudice, or judgement.🙂
This particular bag isn't particularly stylish, I'll admit. But I don't think I'd agree that this style of bag cannot have style. Unless one simply dislikes the rectangular-bag-on-top-of-a-rack look, which is a preference that I understand but do not share.

Nor do I think the examples you cite are relevant to the merits of the folding-pannier rack trunk, as all of those things were functionally bogus and mostly just kinda sucked. In contrast, the folding-pannier rack trunk is most decidedly un-bogus, and does not suck. And even mine isn't what you'd really call ugly, even if it ain't good-lookin' neither.

I don't think anyone makes a blingy, Giles Berthoud-y one, but it'd be hella sweet if someone did, and if I could afford it.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 10-02-20, 04:55 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Nor do I think the examples you cite are relevant to the merits of the folding-pannier rack trunk, as all of those things were functionally bogus and mostly just kinda sucked.--Shannon
All of the cited examples are at least as functional and otherwise meritorious as the folding rack trunk; the only difference is that those examples, unlike the example of the folding bag, have been vilified, however unjustly, and then defended from time to time.
Old 10-02-20, 05:05 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I rode the GAP trail and my riding buddy had a set of those on his bike, Spent two days watching the side panniers flap around like a set of old man testicles and getting cut up by his tire. Finally just couldn't take it anymore, so when he stopped for a head break I cinched the side flaps up over the top with a web belt.

Their lack of popularity isn't due to looks, they just don't work very well.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 10-02-20, 05:14 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
If anything, I would give you some flak on the dry rot in your fencing
- who has time for yard maintenance when there's roads to ride and trunks to fill!

I'm one of the hectors who would criticize the trunk-bag styling. I cannot point to why. The utility is obvious. Virtually no reduction in aerodynamics. I have a Jandd version that gets used for bike-camping occasionally.
My next long trek where I might need rain gear (or a stop at a brewery with an empty growler) - I will have to re-think my trunk!

cycling through headhunter country....
Old 10-02-20, 05:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
I couldn’t care less one way or another.
Old 10-02-20, 06:26 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Who has the time or the inclination to give flak for the type of bag you have on your rack?...
...have you read bikeforums?
Old 10-02-20, 06:52 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BobbyG
...have you read bikeforums?
You’ve got a point there.
Old 10-02-20, 06:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
(Last sentence) "I submit that the zip-out-pannier rack trunk is a great sport-touring bag."
You buried the lede.

Last edited by BobbyG; 10-02-20 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-02-20, 07:21 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
I have to say, I never knew that type of bag existed.

I have a trunk bag that lives on the rack on our tandem. I have regular rear panniers, and open basket-type panniers intended for groceries.

I like the looks of the bag you just showed. It would be more convenient for those trips on the tandem when not everything fits in the trunk bag (for example, a trip to a picnic spot; or a trip in cool weather when we'll need jackets after we stop pedaling, to walk around a farmer's market or street fair or some such). Putting on a full pannier is sometimes overkill, not to mention that putting on a pannier without removing the trunk bag can be a little awkward sometimes.

Thanks, I learned something today.

Last edited by noimagination; 10-02-20 at 07:28 AM.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 10-02-20, 07:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
"Igor, help me with the bags."

"Certainly. You take the blonde, and I'll take the one in the turban."

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 10-02-20 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-02-20, 08:05 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
There's a bag design that gets a lot of flak.
Lot of flak about this bag design? From whom? Where do you encounter all this "flak?"
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-02-20, 08:40 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I rode the GAP trail and my riding buddy had a set of those on his bike, Spent two days watching the side panniers flap around like a set of old man testicles and getting cut up by his tire. Finally just couldn't take it anymore, so when he stopped for a head break I cinched the side flaps up over the top with a web belt.

I LOL'd at the testicle reference.

Apparently, though, Pandemic boredom has ramped up enough that people are now vigorously defending their cycling luggage from unseen attacks.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 10-02-20, 09:03 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I think that one's luggage can be a reflection of one's personality...

Animal prints will be big in 2021, if I read the chicken bones correctly.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-02-20, 09:11 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

Now there’s a visual I didn’t need. LOL. Now I will never see that bag the same way. Thanks Barack Obama.

Old 10-02-20, 11:59 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,458 Times in 3,193 Posts
Trunk bags are rather hideous looking.
Old 10-02-20, 12:45 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have everything i need in this for my riding which ranges from 20-100 miles at a time.

I guess i don't have old man nut sack syndrome.

But if you're bikepacking... it's a different story.
Old 10-02-20, 03:32 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
There's a bag design that gets a lot of flak. The best that gets said about it is something like, "They'll do OK, I guess, at least until you can get some real bags."

I am, of course, talking about the folding-pannier rack trunk bag.

--Shannon
I'm actually looking into getting one of those for commutes. I think they make a lot of sense for commuting, since the amount of work stuff I need to take home each day varies depending on current workload, season, weather, etc.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 10-02-20, 05:57 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GlennR
I have everything i need in this for my riding which ranges from 20-100 miles at a time.

I guess i don't have old man nut sack syndrome.

But if you're bikepacking... it's a different story.
Her bag has other uses besides bikepacking:

“But if you ride past a cool store, or a winery / brewery / cheesery, or whatever, and you see something that you wanna take home, you pop out a pannier and shove it in. I can fit a couple of days worth of groceries in it, although frozen pizzas don't quite fit.”
Old 10-02-20, 06:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Her bag has other uses besides bikepacking:

“But if you ride past a cool store, or a winery / brewery / cheesery, or whatever, and you see something that you wanna take home, you pop out a pannier and shove it in. I can fit a couple of days worth of groceries in it, although frozen pizzas don't quite fit.”
The type of rides we do is different, I ride specifically for exercise. I don't stop and shop but I do understand many ride more casually and they make stops here and there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.