Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ultegra Vs Dura-Ace

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ultegra Vs Dura-Ace

Old 11-30-21, 12:03 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
A Dura Ace groupset will make you look much faster at the coffee shops.
fify
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-30-21, 12:07 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
<cough>Record<cough>
Old 11-30-21, 12:14 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
11 speed is so last year and SRAM is well, SRAM. 12 is the here and now. It may be time for some Italian flair.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-30-21, 12:19 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
<cough>Record<cough>
I have given this some thought as well. I am a Shimano believer but had campy stuff way back when.
Old 11-30-21, 01:27 PM
dfrench52 

Bikes: Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Isn't Campy rebuildable? With all of the discussion about tough to find Shimano components, I'd imagine having some components capable of being rebuilt would be an advantage... especially since OP isn't too concerned over cost. (This from a guy who rides a seven-speed.)
Old 11-30-21, 01:55 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by dfrench52
Isn't Campy rebuildable? With all of the discussion about tough to find Shimano components, I'd imagine having some components capable of being rebuilt would be an advantage... especially since OP isn't too concerned over cost. (This from a guy who rides a seven-speed.)
I'm somewhat concerned with cost ....I am building up a 20 year old frame after all. My biggest concern is if I will find it in stock or without a 6-8 month wait. If I can't find it in stock I may have to adjust my plans to reflect that. Used on Ebay is one option I would entertain but I hate scratched up stuff.

Campy is an option .....just not a cheap one....and supply issues from Italy as far as motorcycles are concerned are legendary. They make beautiful stuff but they also take lots of vacations.
Old 12-01-21, 10:00 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I have given this some thought as well. I am a Shimano believer but had campy stuff way back when.

I just re-did my Litespeed Classic - mines a little newer ('02 or '03) but not by much . I Used 10 speed Record carbon. You werent kidding about very good condition Dura Ace 7700 and Record being expensive still --- but in my case it wasnt about saving money so much as using a groupset i already had. But it still had to look good. When i realized i wouldnt need a long cage rear derailleur to run the 12-26 cassette, i looked for a VGC short or mid cage rear derailleur and prices were still high .

For me i deviated from Campagnolo on the crankset because i wanted to use compact gearing, so had a near NOS condition FSA crankset in 50/34 to use along with the 12-26 . The darn thing will climb ! even if i cant

Good luck with your project and whichever way you go with the build !

Old 12-01-21, 10:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I just re-did my Litespeed Classic - mines a little newer ('02 or '03) but not by much . I Used 10 speed Record carbon. You werent kidding about very good condition Dura Ace 7700 and Record being expensive still --- but in my case it wasnt about saving money so much as using a groupset i already had. But it still had to look good. When i realized i wouldnt need a long cage rear derailleur to run the 12-26 cassette, i looked for a VGC short or mid cage rear derailleur and prices were still high .

For me i deviated from Campagnolo on the crankset because i wanted to use compact gearing, so had a near NOS condition FSA crankset in 50/34 to use along with the 12-26 . The darn thing will climb ! even if i cant

Good luck with your project and whichever way you go with the build !

That's hot! 5 arm cranks are so much better looking than the modern 4 arm bulky looking ones.(At least to me) That crank is somewhat reminiscent of the awesome Stronglight star cranks from way BITD.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...40d57&Enum=115
Old 12-01-21, 10:45 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by seypat
That's hot! 5 arm cranks are so much better looking than the modern 4 arm bulky looking ones.(At least to me) That crank is somewhat reminiscent of the awesome Stronglight star cranks from way BITD.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...40d57&Enum=115
Thanks ! I hesitated on deviating from Campy on this, but i really liked the look of the carbon crank and it complements the look of the rest of the group well. This particular group had an alloy triple originally
Old 12-03-21, 05:39 AM
Vavida52

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I am in the middle of a bike build (2000 Litespeed Classic) and after Christmas will be picking a component group. I have a Trek SLR 6 with mechanical Ultegra. Really nice bike. My old Trek 2.3 has lots of old Dura Ace gear on it (7700 acquired through ebay mostly). I am seriously considering buying a Dura Ace 9100 mechanical set for this build.

Will the new Dura Ace components work with a frame of this vintage ? It seems like it will but if anyone knows why it wouldn't I would love to hear it.. I already have a fork, bottom bracket and headset. Steerer tube shim and spacers. Ordering a stem next week.

I guess I am wondering if the Dura Ace is worth it. I have no illusions about my need for pro level gear. I am old and slow AF. I just want this bike to be light and have the best gear I can afford on it.

This rules out any DI2 stuff.

It looks like the biggest difference between Ultegra and DA is the weight savings. If there is any real world advantage other than that I would be interested to know.

I don't need to spend 2x as much for the DA stuff but honestly I can and have wanted to have a bike with full DA for along time. This is my shot. If you want to try and talk me out of it. Go for it. If you want to validate my decision that is cool too !!
I did similar with my vintage CAD2. Swapped out the old 2x7 RSX Shifters for Dura Ace 9001 mechanical STIs and Also dura ace 9000 brakes (Rest is ultegra R8000). It is just amazing. I also ride Ultegra R8000 disc Groupset and to be honest I don't feel so much of a difference. Both are great Groupsets.
​​​
Likes For Vavida52:
Old 12-03-21, 11:29 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Well , I solved the dilemma by ordering a Dura Ace9100 rim brake/mechanical group set last night. Should be at my door by Monday or Tuesday. My wife told me to quit messing around and "just order it for god sake" LoL.

Same crank arm length and compact chainring as the group set on my SLR 6 Ultegra model. 11/30 in the back as opposed to 11/34 (I think) on my Trek. Next up will be wheels and tires. The brakes are good up to 28's but there is no way that old Litespeed will handle tires that big so I imagine 25's is all I can get on there. Too bad because I like the larger tires on my SLR.

Already have a stem coming and will need a handlebar, seat and seat post too but getting there.. Hopefully will be doing some shake down rides around mid February. Usually can start getting some real rides in mid-march so that works out perfectly.

All told I'm hoping this build comes in at a touch more than half the price of the SLR 6 I just bought.

You guys are terrible at talking me out of things
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 12-03-21, 02:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Well , I solved the dilemma by ordering a Dura Ace9100 rim brake/mechanical group set last night. Should be at my door by Monday or Tuesday. My wife told me to quit messing around and "just order it for god sake" LoL.

Same crank arm length and compact chainring as the group set on my SLR 6 Ultegra model. 11/30 in the back as opposed to 11/34 (I think) on my Trek. Next up will be wheels and tires. The brakes are good up to 28's but there is no way that old Litespeed will handle tires that big so I imagine 25's is all I can get on there. Too bad because I like the larger tires on my SLR.

Already have a stem coming and will need a handlebar, seat and seat post too but getting there.. Hopefully will be doing some shake down rides around mid February. Usually can start getting some real rides in mid-march so that works out perfectly.

All told I'm hoping this build comes in at a touch more than half the price of the SLR 6 I just bought.

But do you feel validated? That was option 2.

Enjoy.
Old 12-03-21, 02:22 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by livedarklions
But do you feel validated? That was option 2.

Enjoy.
Lol . As much as a beat up ne'er do well like myself can !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 12-03-21, 03:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Lol . As much as a beat up ne'er do well like myself can !!

Treat yourself to a new pair of ne'er do wells next.
Old 12-03-21, 03:45 PM
DMC707

There ya go!
Old 12-04-21, 02:45 AM
Vavida52

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

My setup with Dura Ace 9000 STIs and brakes.works really well!
Likes For Vavida52:
Old 12-04-21, 09:49 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by Vavida52
My setup with Dura Ace 9000 STIs and brakes.works really well!
Good looking bike.!! I'm taking lots of pics along the way so hopefully I will have a neat build thread in a few months.
Old 12-04-21, 02:02 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Without reading all of the posts- I did read yours- I just put a down payment on a new bike and went with the Ultegra group set. It's a lot of money for only a small amount of weight, and I couldn't justify the extra expense. From the reading I've read and discussions I've had, the functionality is almost identical except for the small amount of weight vs a large increase in cost.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 12-04-21, 04:59 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Without reading all of the posts- I did read yours- I just put a down payment on a new bike and went with the Ultegra group set. It's a lot of money for only a small amount of weight, and I couldn't justify the extra expense. From the reading I've read and discussions I've had, the functionality is almost identical except for the small amount of weight vs a large increase in cost.
I own a bike with the new Ultegra group and it works great. If it was only functionality I would go Ultegra for sure. This is quite a project for me and for once in my life I have the money to do what I want in some respects. I have saved a load of money by purchasing an older vintage frame so I am splurging on components. I can always use them later on a different build if I want.

Also it will be the last mechanical DA group so thats kinda neat too !
Likes For Rdmonster69: