Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't be these guys (two abreast in traffic)

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Don't be these guys (two abreast in traffic)

Old 02-07-22, 08:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by making
I always do whatever I think is safest at a light, I look at the biggest threat around me and try to prevent it. If I come to a light with traffic I follow the rules just like in my pick up truck. If I come to an intersection that has no traffic as far as I can see I go thru, why wait for a car to show up and run over me while I am waiting at the light?
I agree with that, that's how I handle it. Also, there are lights in my state that a bicyclist cannot trigger to change. I know where several of them are, and can only really deal with them as if they were stop signs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-07-22, 08:12 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I am a fan of the Idaho stop.

Stopping at a Red light, a fellow that I know was run over and killed. Lady said she did not see him, despite bright colors and flashing light.

OP......you are just wrong, wrong, wrong.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-07-22, 08:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Zaskar
My points about the time and location are key. Of course we have the right to the lane. BUT, we need to also be considerate. That is a horrible road to ride on at any time on any day. But these guys picked then (maybe late start because of the cold) and there to ride, running lights... staying in the way. There are hundreds of roads around here. Why head into the busiest part of town? I don't buy the argument that they live there - they'd know 15 faster, safer routes than the one they were on.

That "Idaho stop" thing is very inconsiderate - it forces motorist to keep passing the riders. The motorists finally get past the cyclists... who then roll past the line, run the light... and are in front of the row of cars again.

It hasn't occurred to you that the reason they're riding in the busiest part of town is probably the same that you're driving in the busiest part of town? It's the busiest part of town because it's either where people are coming from, going to, or the shortest distance between those two points. You aren't complaining because they didn't pick a "safer" route, you're complaining because they made traffic a little slower. Also, that's complete nonsense, If the cyclists going 15 mph are able to pass you AFTER you've passed them, they're obviously not slowing up traffic much below the speed that the lights are allowing you to travel. You're defying math here.

So your attitude as a driver is that cyclists need to justify being in a particular part of town at a particular time of day? No wonder why people hate drivers.

Also, why didn't you just move over a lane and quit whining?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-07-22, 09:43 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
My points about the time and location are key. Of course we have the right to the lane. BUT, we need to also be considerate. That is a horrible road to ride on at any time on any day. But these guys picked then (maybe late start because of the cold) and there to ride, running lights... staying in the way. There are hundreds of roads around here. Why head into the busiest part of town? I don't buy the argument that they live there - they'd know 15 faster, safer routes than the one they were on.

That "Idaho stop" thing is very inconsiderate - it forces motorist to keep passing the riders. The motorists finally get past the cyclists... who then roll past the line, run the light... and are in front of the row of cars again.
We cyclists shouldn't be held to that standard of not riding on bad roads during the busiest traffic times. I ride on a road just as bad, during heavy traffic times (Mayport Road). I do wish I had an alternate route, and for some of it I could take backstreets, but that would mean doing a lot of zigzagging and stopping for a ton of stop signs -- not exactly an alternate route. I choose to ride on the main thoroughfare.

I kind of agree with the Idaho stop thing, I don't practice it (except at stop signs), because I don't feel like being passed up by the same vehicles, especially the large trucks.

What's the name of the street and intersection in the photo? I'm kind of interested in looking at it from google street view.

Old 02-07-22, 10:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by work4bike
We cyclists shouldn't be held to that standard of not riding on bad roads during the busiest traffic times. I ride on a road just as bad, during heavy traffic times (Mayport Road). I do wish I had an alternate route, and for some of it I could take backstreets, but that would mean doing a lot of zigzagging and stopping for a ton of stop signs -- not exactly an alternate route. I choose to ride on the main thoroughfare.

I kind of agree with the Idaho stop thing, I don't practice it (except at stop signs), because I don't feel like being passed up by the same vehicles, especially the large trucks.

What's the name of the street and intersection in the photo? I'm kind of interested in looking at it from google street view.

I think this is it, but I could be wrong: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8146...7i16384!8i8192

If I'm right about the location, the "road" to the right is actually a driveway for a parking lot, not sure where I'd see a lot of room for indignation for not waiting out that traffic light.

It should probably be noted that the time that OP considers unreasonable for this is a Sunday afternoon, not exactly a rush hour. Not that it matters in that I agree with you that's not a standard we need to impose on ourselves, but if that's not the time for a ride on that road, when is?

Some of the Idaho stop discussion here is getting conflated with the issue of filtering up. The cyclists in the picture aren't behind anyone as they get to the intersection, there's no issue of getting passed twice (which I also think is a non-issue, but that's an opinion).
Old 02-07-22, 11:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
*smh* It often allows cyclists to stay ahead of motorists. It would be particularly useful here in Philly, with its many narrow streets. When there are two lanes, one might be blocked by a delivery truck. If I don't have to wait for the light I can easily get ahead of traffic and change lanes to pass the stopped vehicle without traffic bearing down on me.

You're not considering all scenarios. I think you are just angry that you were inconvenienced during your drive.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-07-22, 11:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
I don't buy the argument that they live there - they'd know 15 faster, safer routes than the one they were on.
It's not an argument. It's a possibility, albeit an inconvenient one for your narrative. I work in a usually busy part of my city. I can see numerous residential buildings from my office window, including one right across the street. Or maybe they were heading to lunch at a place that was on or near that street. While they don't need one, there could be thousand explanations for why they chose the route they did. Come to think of it, why were you there?

My recommendation is that you stop digging. The hole is getting deeper.

And please don't instigate a road rage incident because you feel cyclists shouldn't be in certain places and you don't want to change lanes.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-07-22, 11:30 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I'm not familiar with Atlanta but sometimes you need to ride more congested areas because that's all that's available. If they are out there doing a snail's pace, then you have a point.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-07-22, 11:55 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Buckhead is rich. Why such skinny roads, no shoulder, no bike lane.

Don't be that selfish, nasty little town.
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2015/12/1...-bike-lanes-no

We could have had bike lanes on this exact stretch of road. Buckhead would rather sit in traffic with all of the other cars and complain that bicycles are the problem.
Likes For theblackbullet:
Old 02-07-22, 12:13 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
OP should return their driver's license for a full refund.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-07-22, 12:17 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Once I was at two abreast at an intersection. Then later, I had discovered my trunk bag was gone. We think it was stolen.

But that's not the case with these two.
Old 02-07-22, 12:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Does the OP understand that a 35 zone means that 35 mph is the maximum speed, not the minimum?
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-07-22, 12:23 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2015/12/1...-bike-lanes-no

We could have had bike lanes on this exact stretch of road. Buckhead would rather sit in traffic with all of the other cars and complain that bicycles are the problem.
To be fair, as your own link explains, what that proposal would have done was to reserve the lane the cyclists are sitting in for their exclusive use.

Instead of four lanes, it would have been two car lanes, a center turn lane, and bike lanes.
Old 02-07-22, 12:28 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
OP should return their driver's license for a full refund.
In a way what they've done is demonstrate the fundamental problem.

When even some cyclists looking at this picture could conclude that the side-by-side bikes are taking up an unreasonable amount of the road width, it's no surprise that much of the non-cycling, driving public would.

It takes some degree of actual road-cycling smarts and experience to recognize that this is the minimum, possibly safe, way to ride that road.

The challenge we face is changing that recognition from one requiring insight and a second look, to a general public awareness.

The sign I want to see is "bicyclists shall use full lane" - not "may" but "shall" Technically sharrows mean that, but they're poorly understood. And the infamous "share the road" signs lead to more misunderstanding than understanding.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 02-07-22, 12:36 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
[QUOTE=Zaskar;22401064]Buckhead/in-town Atlanta at 1:30 on Sunday afternoon on a very busy road - two lanes each way with single and double turning lanes; 35 zone. Traffic was backed up for a couple blocks because of these guys. They were not making any attempt to ride with traffic - more of a chit-chat pace (12-15 mph), side-by-side... just out for a stroll with a "cars can *#@% themselves" attitude.

Yes - they're allowed to. Yes - they're "vehicles" with the right to the lane. But if that were a car going 14 mph in a 35 zone, would you think "Oh hey, it's cool - you do you. We'll hangout back here til you get where you're going". This is a city of 6 million people. We have plenty of roads that don't go through the heart of town. THIS is why motorists hate us.

Don't be these guys. And yeah, they ran this light... of course they did.

[ On a Sunday afternoon with light traffic, is this a great sin? This is especially true since it appears to be a 4 lane road. Just move to the left lane and pass them!!!! And backed up?? There is not even a car behind the blue car at the stop light, look at the picture.

Last edited by rydabent; 02-10-22 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-07-22, 12:50 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8161129,-84.3900232,15
This appears to be a map of the general area where this took place. Wonder if the OP could point out a parallel route that is faster than the road the cyclists are on. The area appears to be a maze of meandering streets and cul de sacs. If they are actually going to where this road will take them it is no wonder that they are using it
Old 02-07-22, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by UniChris
In a way what they've done is demonstrate the fundamental problem.

When even some cyclists looking at this picture could conclude that the side-by-side bikes are taking up an unreasonable amount of the road width, it's no surprise that much of the non-cycling, driving public would.

It takes some degree of actual road-cycling smarts and experience to recognize that this is the minimum, possibly safe, way to ride that road.

The challenge we face is changing that recognition from one requiring insight and a second look, to a general public awareness.

The sign I want to see is "bicyclists shall use full lane" - not "may" but "shall" Technically sharrows mean that, but they're poorly understood. And the infamous "share the road" signs lead to more misunderstanding than understanding.

OP has demonstrated a whole bunch of attitudinal problems in addition to that, but here's just two. One is the assumption that motor vehicle drivers should have the privilege of speed uninhibited by anything other than other motor vehicles. The second is an assumption that the driver's reasons for driving on a crowded road are somehow more legitimate than those of a cyclist.
Old 02-07-22, 01:06 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by livedarklions
OP has demonstrated a whole bunch of attitudinal problems in addition to that, but here's just two. One is the assumption that motor vehicle drivers should have the privilege of speed uninhibited by anything other than other motor vehicles. The second is an assumption that the driver's reasons for driving on a crowded road are somehow more legitimate than those of a cyclist.
Sure, by my point was that those views are as common as they are mistaken.

That even a sometimes cyclist would hold them indicates what a challenge we have in educating the non-cycling public about basic facts of law and safety.

There's also some unintended irony in that the way lots of road-redo projects now include mandatory cycling inclusion, can have an effect of promoting the idea (and literal arguments from many cyclists) that roads without any specific cycling provision are not for cyclists' use.

I'd probably be happier there if the painted bike lane proposal had gone through. But what's shown is a mode of cycling usage that's supposed to work - the cases where it doesn't are a public education problem. A very widespread driver and even cyclist education problem.

Last edited by UniChris; 02-07-22 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-07-22, 01:12 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts

Looking at this photo, even if cyclist in green was single file with the other one, there still would not be sufficient space for a car to pass them without leaving the lane. The lane is much too narrow to share with a cyclist while passing safely
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 02-07-22, 01:14 PM
Comfort is King

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
This road looks like it could use "road diet", where they make it one lane in each direction with a turning lane and bike lanes. They have been proven to make the streets much safer for all users. Unless there's more than 10k cars per day, if memory serves, a road diet works without appreciably slowing down traffic.
Old 02-07-22, 01:31 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Not that this really adds to the discussion, but it reminds me of an negative interaction I had with a motorist a few years ago on a very similar looking road, while I was sitting at a red light, much like in the photo in the OP. The major differences were that I was a single cyclist and I was behind about 2 or 3 cars in line.

I was sitting about the same position as the cyclist in the hi-viz jersey and the motorist behind me attempted to creep ahead of me by going all the way to the right, adjacent to the curb. I looked at him with a look on my face and moved more into the center of the lane to block him. He never really looked at me...that was just crazy.

Old 02-07-22, 01:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by UniChris
Sure, by my point was that those views are as common as they are mistaken.

That even a sometimes cyclist would hold them indicates what a challenge we have in educating the non-cycling public about basic facts of law and safety.

I think there's a argument to be made that a Dunning Kruger effect among "sometimes cyclists" might actually pose a bigger challenge.
Old 02-07-22, 02:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!! We have a winner!

This is the assumption that's inherent in most "Roads are for cars!" arguments - that people driving cars are always doing something more important than cyclists.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-07-22, 02:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
What is the suggestion for vehicles that consistently drive 10 to 15 mph under the speed limit? Those are pretty annoying to me. And I encounter them more often than I do cyclist.

Maybe patience is something we all need more of.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-07-22, 02:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genejockey
DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!! We have a winner!

This is the assumption that's inherent in most "Roads are for cars!" arguments - that people driving cars are always doing something more important than cyclists.

I have to say, though, that I'm a bit surprised at the nakedness of that assumption in the OP--how dare they ride THAT road on a Sunday afternoon!
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.