Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sidi Genius 7 vs 10

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sidi Genius 7 vs 10

Old 05-31-22, 02:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Sidi Genius 7 vs 10

I know that shoes are HIGHLY personal, but worth poking the collective anyway.

I like Sidi shoes because they run narrow. I actually loved their "S" which are extra narrow but they don't make them anymore.

I have been using Genius 7 for the past few years, and they are starting to wear out. I am considering buying a new pair but also considering the Genius 10.

Anyone use both to comment on the differences in fit or quality?? I know the 10 uses a boa instead of velcro, which I am willing to consider, but I am wondering if any other obvious differences you noticed.
Old 06-01-22, 04:33 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
My experience with BOA fasteners is less than good, and is quite unsatisfactory. My son has had the same experience. Both of us have had to replace the fasteners on our shoes several times. My son finally gave up and scored some Sidi Genius with the buckle system. I am still using the shoes with BOA only because they sent me a few extras that will allow me to get a few more seasons out of them. Have to replace them every year, sometimes one of the fasteners will fail mid season.
If it makes any difference the BOA shoes are Specialized Sworks.
For comparison I have three pair of Sidi shoes with the buckle set up and they are all 15 years plus in age and work perfectly.
Old 06-01-22, 04:35 PM
MCHunt

Bikes: 2020 Trek Top Fuel 9.8, 2019 Argon 18 Dark Matter, 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc, 2000 Steve Rex custom, 1996 Guerciotti Genius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Narrow Sidis

You may want to try the Shot. I too loved the narrow Genius, but felt that the non-narrow version wasn't snug enough. I think that the Shot, with the Boas in the middle is easier to tighten down.
Likes For MCHunt:
Old 06-01-22, 05:51 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My experience with BOA fasteners is less than good, and is quite unsatisfactory. My son has had the same experience. Both of us have had to replace the fasteners on our shoes several times. My son finally gave up and scored some Sidi Genius with the buckle system. I am still using the shoes with BOA only because they sent me a few extras that will allow me to get a few more seasons out of them. Have to replace them every year, sometimes one of the fasteners will fail mid season.
If it makes any difference the BOA shoes are Specialized Sworks.
For comparison I have three pair of Sidi shoes with the buckle set up and they are all 15 years plus in age and work perfectly.
FWIW, the "boa" system Sidi uses is not actual Boa (tm). It is their own proprietary system. The wire laces concept is the same, but the tightening/loosening dial thingy operates significantly differently. I don't know is it's better or worse mechanically. But it's not same design at all. So the boa issue may or may not be a factor. I'm on my first "boa" shoe (I put "boa" in quotes because it's a Sidi shoe, not a true Boa(tm)) They work fine, but I'll have to say, I am still stuck on preferring my old velcro + buckle strap Sidi. We'll see how this old man adapts.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-02-22, 07:22 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Huh. My Sidi “boa” system works flawlessly. They’ve been in the rain and even the washing machine and work great after 1000’s of miles and abuse.

Plus you can buy a whole new Boa if it breaks.

Id never get another shoe with Velcro.
Old 06-02-22, 12:52 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I’ve had very good luck with the 10s and never had a problem with them.
Old 06-07-22, 03:00 PM
greysquirrel

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Huh. My Sidi “boa” system works flawlessly. They’ve been in the rain and even the washing machine and work great after 1000’s of miles and abuse.

Plus you can buy a whole new Boa if it breaks.

Id never get another shoe with Velcro.
One time I was doing some gravel riding and some spots were very sandy. I had a crash and the side of my shoe landed in some sand. After the ride, it was almost impossible to "unspool" my Sidi "boa" and my foot was basically stuck in my shoe. After prying my foot out of my shoe, it took a lot of effort to clean/lube the mechanism. My previous Sidis had all Velcro but i do prefer the "boas" for adjustment/fit.
Likes For greysquirrel:
Old 06-08-22, 05:19 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by MCHunt
You may want to try the Shot. I too loved the narrow Genius, but felt that the non-narrow version wasn't snug enough. I think that the Shot, with the Boas in the middle is easier to tighten down.
Looks great, but nfw I can spend over $500 for a pair of shoes. Even the Genius is a stretch.
Old 06-09-22, 05:15 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
The genuine Boas are IMO more usable than the Sidi version. You release the Boas by pulling them out, after which they stay released and you can just pull off the shoe. The Sidis only release while you squeeze the tabs, and unless you're an octopus you're only going to squeeze one at a time. With the Boas unlocked you pull on the tongue a little open the shoe, step in, and tighten them. This ability to stay unlocked is a significant plus IMO. The other is when you're and reach down to tighten it a bit it's far easier with the Boa - all you have to do is turn it. With the Sidis you have to fiddle to locate the tab and fold it out; easy while sitting on a chair, not so easy while riding. The left Boa rotates the opposite direction as well, but that's neither here or there as far as I'm concerned and makes no difference.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 06-15-22, 04:45 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts

I have/had every Sidi Genius/Dragon since the series 2. I have never actually "worn out" a pair to the point of it no longer being serviceable. These are 2 pairs that I have under my work desk currently. I have around 1500 miles on the "Boa" shoes (work great, no issues), and 10,000+ on the velcro ones. Best shoe out there if they fit.

ETA- To better answer the OP- I actually didn't feel any real difference in the fit, and could not detect any feeling that the thin cables dug into my foot etc. They feel very similar.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 06-15-22 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 06-16-23, 07:33 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bump. It’s been a year.

I am still riding my Genius 7 shoes and they are ok but now have easily 40k miles on them. Last year one instep strap broke but I was able to get a spare part and the shoes are still ok but I do believe it’s getting close to relegating these to the trainer and buying a new pair.

I can still find NOS Genius 7’s for about $200 while the 10’s are more like $250-300.

I am inclined to simply get another pair of the 7’s but open to comments/suggestions.
Old 06-16-23, 08:43 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Looks great, but nfw I can spend over $500 for a pair of shoes. Even the Genius is a stretch.
Check bike closet... i got my Shot 2 shoes for under $300. (mine are the limited edition "rust" ones for even less.
Old 07-09-23, 05:11 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bump/update.

I was able to get a pair of new Genius 7 off ScamBay for $125 so should be in good shoes for another 5 years/40k miles.

Likes For datlas:
Old 07-09-23, 06:19 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I'm still working thru my stash of Sidi 6.6 48 mega. Now that they don't offer Mega in the good shoes, I am forked. Guessing I have another year left on the current pair.
Old 07-09-23, 12:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
The other is when you're and reach down to tighten it a bit it's far easier with the Boa - all you have to do is turn it. With the Sidis you have to fiddle to locate the tab and fold it out; easy while sitting on a chair, not so easy while riding.
Yeah, that’s kind of a pain with the lower level Sidis. But, if you buy the more expensive Sidis, they have a little red button that makes the tab pop up.
Old 07-11-23, 12:13 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Shop around online, if you know Sidi shoes fit you. For example, Sidi Genius 10 - regular and mega - for $324 at Western Bike Works. Others too.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I'm still working thru my stash of Sidi 6.6 48 mega. Now that they don't offer Mega in the good shoes, I am forked. Guessing I have another year left on the current pair.
Have you looked? I haven't looked sizes, but I've seen Mega for sale in more than one place. (see above). Also check Bike Tires Direct

Last edited by Camilo; 07-11-23 at 12:16 AM.