Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984 Trek 850

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1984 Trek 850

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-22, 06:39 PM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
1984 Trek 850

After a few weeks of navigating the messed up algorithms of facebook marketplace and endless craigslist ads, I finally came across an early all-terrain bike that was my size. Making the drive from Atlanta to Charlotte was a lot, but I was able to add in some track racing at the velodrome in Rock Hill, South Carolina to help make the driving worthwhile. Here is what I brought home!

Old 06-19-22, 06:47 PM
theblackbullet

So some questions, if you're willing and able to help:
Does anyone know the original seatpost diameter for this bike? It came with a 27.0 seatpost and a chopped up wald 13/16" to 7/8" shim. I currently have a 27.2 seatpost in there with a coke can and a half shim. It seems a 27.4 might be the right fit?
At some point someone tried to touch up paint with black spray paint covering up the original beautiful metallic flake. I'd like to try and remove what I can without damaging the original paint. I don't mind the nicks on the frame but the dull black spray paint really bugs me. Any suggestions on how to best approach this?
I love the original stem, but I'd like to consider a wider bar. Do I have any options with this double clamp? I don't think there is a bulge at the clamps. I'll have to measure my diameter when I get a chance.
Old 06-19-22, 06:50 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
Those hardtail biggies are tough to find, ain't they. You just have to make sure the knurling on the new bar is in the right spots and it will certainly work. Those double clamp bars came in several widths. Try to load up with cromo one, the weight difference is noticeable.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 06-19-22 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-19-22, 06:54 PM
theblackbullet

A bonus shot of the bike "as-found" at the velodrome.
Likes For theblackbullet:
Old 06-19-22, 06:57 PM
theblackbullet

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Those hardtail biggies are tough to find, ain't they. You just have to make sure the knurling on the new bar is in the right spots and it will certainly work. Those double clamp bars came in several widths. Try to load up with cromo one, the weight difference is noticeable.
I don't think I'll regret making the drive for this one! It's a completely different ride than my 1991 Ironhorse MT600r. I'm really enjoying the loooong stays.
Old 06-19-22, 08:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
I don't think I'll regret making the drive for this one! It's a completely different ride than my 1991 Ironhorse MT600r. I'm really enjoying the loooong stays.
If you haven't been, Vintage Trek is the resource you need. Here's where you can date it; once you've done that, find the brochure and/or tech manual for it here. HTH. Oh, and make sure to show us pics as you get her back in working order!
Old 06-19-22, 08:36 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Terrific find from the era when solid axles were used even for the high-end mountain bikes, since it was assumed that QR axles wouldn't hold up to the rigors of hard off-road riding.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-20-22, 06:40 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Terrific find from the era when solid axles were used even for the high-end mountain bikes, since it was assumed that QR axles wouldn't hold up to the rigors of hard off-road riding.
Those Deore XT hubs were derived from Dura-Ace track hubs. The front hub uses a 10mm axle with flats milled to fit in a 9mm fork end.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-20-22, 08:42 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
So some questions, if you're willing and able to help:
Does anyone know the original seatpost diameter for this bike? It came with a 27.0 seatpost and a chopped up wald 13/16" to 7/8" shim. I currently have a 27.2 seatpost in there with a coke can and a half shim. It seems a 27.4 might be the right fit?
At some point someone tried to touch up paint with black spray paint covering up the original beautiful metallic flake. I'd like to try and remove what I can without damaging the original paint. I don't mind the nicks on the frame but the dull black spray paint really bugs me. Any suggestions on how to best approach this?
I love the original stem, but I'd like to consider a wider bar. Do I have any options with this double clamp? I don't think there is a bulge at the clamps. I'll have to measure my diameter when I get a chance.
Sheldon Brown's site lists 27.2 as the most likely candidate, but you have one in place now plus a shim so another 2mm may be it. As far as the spray bomb touch-up goes; I have used acetone on a rag to remove it. Trek paint is tough, so if you don't go overboard with the acetone it should take care of the problem without harming the original paint - be careful around decals though. Nice bike.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 06-20-22, 10:59 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
+1 on the acetone. The paint might have been cured for too long for the acetone to work effectively but that would be my first try. It may take some rubbing and some exposure time for the acetone to work. I was doing some repair work to the hood of my car and discovered that I had two primer drips on my fender after two weeks. It came off. It took some time for the acetone to soften the paint and then some rubbing. I used paper towel. Cotton cloth would have been better but the fenders will get blended in the next few weeks.

The second try would be 1000 grit sandpaper followed by 2000 grit. Use a firm sanding block or a piece of wood or aluminum as a backer. The idea would be to remove the spray paint without removing too much of the original paint. This should leave just the spray paint in the paint divot.

Nice find. I like the lugged frame, lugged fork and character of the bike. Was that made in Wisconsin?

That is a good looking velodrome I had not seen pictures of it until now.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 06-20-22, 11:06 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I like the lugged frame, lugged fork and character of the bike. Was that made in Wisconsin?
The main triangles were brazed in Waterloo, fork and rear triangle subassemblies were made in Japan and joined with frames in Waterloo before painting. Early production used Reynolds 531 "All Terrain" tubing, later production used Tange Prestige tubing.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-20-22, 07:45 PM
theblackbullet

I will definitely give the acetone a go. Wish me luck!

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Those Deore XT hubs were derived from Dura-Ace track hubs. The front hub uses a 10mm axle with flats milled to fit in a 9mm fork end.
The hubs are one of my favorite parts of the bike! They're spinning smooth as butter.

The main triangles were brazed in Waterloo, fork and rear triangle subassemblies were made in Japan and joined with frames in Waterloo before painting. Early production used Reynolds 531 "All Terrain" tubing, later production used Tange Prestige tubing.
That's awesome! I thought it was odd that the catalog spec'd the 531 for the main tubes but Tange Champion for the stays. Any idea why the rear triangles we done in Japan instead of trying to do the whole frame in Waterloo?

Last edited by theblackbullet; 06-21-22 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-21-22, 06:45 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

I Any idea why the rear triangles we done in Japan instead of trying to do the whole frame in Waterloo?
The imported subassemblies could be done cheaper in Japan and didn't carry the same import tariff a complete bike would pay.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-21-22, 07:15 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Very Cool. I stopped looking at 850s because they weren’t lugged.
Old 06-21-22, 07:31 AM
theblackbullet

The imported subassemblies could be done cheaper in Japan and didn't carry the same import tariff a complete bike would pay.
Very interesting. Thanks for the insight! This quirkiness makes me love this bike even more!

Originally Posted by Classtime
Very Cool. I stopped looking at 850s because they weren’t lugged.
I started looking for 850s because I realized that the early ones were! haha
Old 06-21-22, 04:25 PM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Was wondering who picked it up. It was for sale for several weeks. Sounds like it's going to a good home...glad it worked out for you.
Old 06-22-22, 03:53 AM
theblackbullet

Originally Posted by OutnBack
Was wondering who picked it up. It was for sale for several weeks. Sounds like it's going to a good home...glad it worked out for you.
I was surprised how old the listing was when I saw it. Couldn't believe it hadn't come up in any of my earlier searches. I was somewhat surprised when the seller responded and it was still available!
Old 06-22-22, 04:02 AM
theblackbullet

Some small changes/personal touches
Old 07-15-22, 04:23 AM
theblackbullet

Thursday evening cruise.

Old 07-15-22, 09:09 AM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
Nice find. I picked up mine a year or two ago. Mine was painted at RRB bike shop in Chicago and has years of wear and tear, though I fully appreciate the wabi sabi of it.
It is a very comfortable bike.

Old 07-15-22, 02:00 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Nice bike! I have an '84 also. Well it's an 830 - one model down - built with Reynolds 501. It needs a little work:

I got a good deal on it. Free. Just had to drive 15 miles to go get it. It had been in a flood in 2016 and was under water for a week or two. When the water receded, there it sat, in the same spot under a shed, until the owner called me up and said come get it, about four years later. So when I got it home I gave it a preliminary scrubbing:

The seatpost and stem were not stuck. The Suntour cartridge bearing hubs still turn as smooth as butter!
I was the original owner of this bike. I bought it new in '84 and sold it after about two or three years, around 1987, give or take. Well, the guy I sold it to, who was a friend, called me and said it was going in the trash, unless I wanted it, around 2020. I think it will be salvageable. It doesn't seem to have too much rust. Maybe it was protected by the layer of bayou scum and toxic waste that remained on it ever since the 2016 flood.
I also got a '69 Schwinn Super Sport at the same time, with the same story (I was the original owner, etc.). My friend bought both bikes from me around the same time, and gave them both back to me thirty six years later.

Last edited by Hobbiano; 07-15-22 at 03:41 PM.
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 10-16-22, 06:52 PM
theblackbullet

Some more changes:
I built up a wheelset with a white industries eno hub! I have been having tons of fun with this thing as a singlespeed

And then in preparation for a 200k gravel ride, I decided to build up a 700c wheelset. It looks like it was meant to have the larger wheels. I'm comfortably clearing Panaracer Gravelking Slick in 700x38 I this is my favorite version of the bike yet! As pictured without bottles or bag, it weighs in at 23.6lbs. Not too bad for a 24.5" mtb frame from 1984!

Old 10-17-22, 12:56 AM
jesuislepop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike!
Old 10-17-22, 03:38 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 138 Posts
Some more changes:
And then in preparation for a 200k gravel ride, I decided to build up a 700c wheelset. It looks like it was meant to have the larger wheels. I'm comfortably clearing Panaracer Gravelking Slick in 700x38 I this is my favorite version of the bike yet! As pictured without bottles or bag, it weighs in at 23.6lbs. Not too bad for a 24.5" mtb frame from 1984!

Whoa, I could not have envisioned this.
Nicely done, clearly an All Terrain, Multi-Dimensional Bike.
Looks like tons of fun.

Last edited by OTS; 10-17-22 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-17-22, 09:28 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
It does look like it was meant for 700c wheels. Larger frames with 26" wheels can loon a bit cartoonish.

I really like it as a single speed.

What brakes did you use to get to 700c, just regular V brakes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.