Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need help with caliper/frame clearance issue please

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need help with caliper/frame clearance issue please

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-22, 12:59 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by kim791
There is no way for it to clear the frame without the washers, we tried sliding it all around.
OK, and I assume you have also slid it around WITH the washers, and you could not get the pads to not overhang?
Old 07-01-22, 01:20 PM
kim791

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Go ahead and order a QM12 adapter and any 160mm/2mm six-bolt rotor. You'll find quite a few 2mm thick rotors on eBay and elsewhere. The rotor neither needs to be Magura nor does it need to be pricy. Just take care of the issue once and for all.

So I went to a 160mm with the qm12 adapter. Can you tell me of it all looks right? Brakes work great but there a honking sound now
Old 07-01-22, 01:40 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Not sure what you mean by honking sound. What you need to do is shine a flashlight from the top and off the sides, have a peer at the pads and see how they hit the rotor. If you don't see any overhang, you're in the right place.

Next, make sure that the edge of the rotor isn't rubbing onto the underside of the caliper. If so, you got the adapter bolts (the ones facing us in the last picture) to play with.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 07-01-22 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-01-22, 01:44 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
They may need to bed in.
Old 07-01-22, 02:05 PM
kim791

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Not sure what you mean by honking sound. What you need to do is shine a flashlight from the top and off the sides, have a peer at the pads and see how they hit the rotor. If you don't see any overhang, you're in the right place.

Next, make sure that the edge of the rotor isn't rubbing onto the underside of the caliper. If so, you got the adapter bolts (the ones facing us in the last picture) to play with.

I think I found the issue...it was just BARELY touching right here...