Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Homebrew chain clean and homebrew hot wax

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-14-18, 03:50 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

I tried cleaning and waxing my chain this weekend. After reading much of the controversy surrounding wax vs oil I chose to use hot wax. The tipping point for me? I don't like getting oil on may right pant leg.

I wanted to clean the chain with chemicals I had lying around because a) I am a cheap bastard and b) I don't want some kid living next to an oil refinery in Houston to get sick because I bought more chemicals that I didn't need.

I did a lot of research and tried to combine as many good ideas as I could. Here are the steps I took:

1. Clean: Soak/agitate in a cocktail of: automatic transmission fluid (borrowed from my mother in law's garage), kerosene, and some chemical intake cleaner I also borrowed from my mother in law. NOTE - to do over, I would avoid transmission fluid. It's high in detergent but it leaves a heavy, oily residue which is hard to remove. I think I will stick to mineral spirits or MEK next time.

2. Rinse: in 70% isopropyl alchohol

3. Water bath: boiled 3-5 times using my BBQ side burner. I used a rag and wire brush to continue to clean. I also "boiled dry"

4. Hot wax: using a crock pot, I melted 1 wax ring, leftover from a toiled install which I never used and some paraffin wax. I soaked the chain, agitating once in a while until bubbles no longer appeared.

5. Air dry

All in all it looks great, it feels like the factory lube that John Allen wrote about in his article. There's still a lot of excess wax between the plates and the inner links making the chain feel "tight". I am hoping this condition rectifies itself after the 1st several miles of riding, otherwise, I will just boil it down and start over with just straight paraffin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dirtychain.jpg (29.6 KB, 336 views)
washcocktail.jpg (21.2 KB, 336 views)
allmixed.jpg (19.1 KB, 336 views)
boiled.jpg (18.1 KB, 334 views)
wax ring.jpg (20.7 KB, 337 views)
addparaffin.jpg (15.6 KB, 334 views)
hotwax.jpg (18.2 KB, 335 views)
chain1.jpg (107.1 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by davei1980; 01-14-18 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 05:17 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Nice. I was looking into getting an ultrasonic cleaner for the cleaning part (and using degreaser + water).
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 01-14-18, 05:26 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Nice. I was looking into getting an ultrasonic cleaner for the cleaning part (and using degreaser + water).
Yes!! That’s awesome- just wait for a jewelery store to go bankrupt
Old 01-14-18, 10:46 PM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I finally switched over to wax this weekend too, but with a simpler recipe. I just used two rounds of odorless mineral spirits for cleaning, and then hot Gulf Wax paraffin for lube. Good results for the first 27 miles, but that's not much of a test.
Old 01-14-18, 10:52 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I use a new chain and strip the oil it is packed in with white gas, dry it, and then put it in molten paraffin for a few minutes. I try to stir it around a bit too, but nothing extreme.

I leave the chain on the bike for the life of the chain, and just wipe it off and appy Squirt every 100 miles or so.
Old 01-14-18, 11:14 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by BritishV8
I finally switched over to wax this weekend too, but with a simpler recipe. I just used two rounds of odorless mineral spirits for cleaning, and then hot Gulf Wax paraffin for lube. Good results for the first 27 miles, but that's not much of a test.
We’ll have to let each other know how it goes!
Old 01-14-18, 11:15 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by wgscott
I use a new chain and strip the oil it is packed in with white gas, dry it, and then put it in molten paraffin for a few minutes. I try to stir it around a bit too, but nothing extreme.

I leave the chain on the bike for the life of the chain, and just wipe it off and appy Squirt every 100 miles or so.
What do you “squirt”? Liquid oil? Hot wax? Thanks!
Old 01-14-18, 11:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
As I understand the conventional wisdom it's wet lube (oil) for wet conditions (rain and mud) and dry lube (wax) for dry conditions (dust). Am I off base?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-15-18, 12:15 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by davei1980
What do you “squirt”? Liquid oil? Hot wax? Thanks!
Just Google "Squirt!" What could possibly go wrong?
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-15-18, 12:38 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
For me a chain (and a drivetrain) is just a consumable ... is your time free? Just run them and replace them ... you should be getting many thousands of kms of a drivetrain.

I'm still running the original chain on by FGSS and will run it until it snaps in half. I'll wash the bike once this summer.
Old 01-15-18, 09:27 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I've been using a waxed chain for about the last 2500 miles or so.

I like it, though I wouldn't quite recommend it in a place that truly gets winter, if you are going to ride through salt/snow/slush, etc.

Benefits: Chain is never dirty. You could generally grab it with a white cloth and not have it stained. Certainly not enough dirt would transfer to stain a normal pair of pants. Less maintenance (caveat: once you've got a chain stripped of grease and a dedicated crockpot ready). Tested to be faster than an oiled chain by a few watts.

Drawbacks: Initial setup. Not bad...basically process that the OP showed, though he went slightly overboard with the grease strip IMO. I let mine soak in mineral spirits in an old water bottle overnight, with an occasional shake. Rinsed it with simple green, then water, then let it dry in a hot garage. Chain is slightly louder than a freshly oiled chain. Not the greatest in wet climates. TBH, it really doesn't perform any worse as far as I can tell in the wet, but the issue is that just like an oiled chain..you've got to re-lube much more frequently if the chain is getting wet repeatedly. So basically riding through snow makes an oiled chain and waxed chain have to be relubed about just as often.

Re-waxing a chain is not bad at all. But it is more time consuming than slapping some oil on a chain. It would be a pain if you had to do it every few days rather than once a month. The process for re-waxing is basically: use a quicklink to remove chain from bike. toss it in a crockpot full of wax. Leave it there for a few minutes, then take it out, cool for 5 minutes, and put it on the bike.
Old 01-15-18, 09:30 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by wgscott
Just Google "Squirt!" What could possibly go wrong?
I will make sure to do that from my computer at my firm!
Old 01-15-18, 09:32 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
As I understand the conventional wisdom it's wet lube (oil) for wet conditions (rain and mud) and dry lube (wax) for dry conditions (dust). Am I off base?
I have absolutely no idea! That sounds like it could be right.... I live in the mtn west in a semi arid climate so I guess I picked correctly!
Old 01-15-18, 09:37 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by acidfast7
For me a chain (and a drivetrain) is just a consumable ... is your time free? Just run them and replace them ... you should be getting many thousands of kms of a drivetrain.

I'm still running the original chain on by FGSS and will run it until it snaps in half. I'll wash the bike once this summer.
I couldn’t agree more- I run the $8 KMC specials from my LBS.

This chain; however, came on my Langster- I looked it up and it appears to be a $40 Japanese-made chain.

Also I was bored and curious because it’s January... I love to tinker

Last edited by davei1980; 01-15-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 09:40 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I've been using a waxed chain for about the last 2500 miles or so.

I like it, though I wouldn't quite recommend it in a place that truly gets winter, if you are going to ride through salt/snow/slush, etc.

Benefits: Chain is never dirty. You could generally grab it with a white cloth and not have it stained. Certainly not enough dirt would transfer to stain a normal pair of pants. Less maintenance (caveat: once you've got a chain stripped of grease and a dedicated crockpot ready). Tested to be faster than an oiled chain by a few watts.

Drawbacks: Initial setup. Not bad...basically process that the OP showed, though he went slightly overboard with the grease strip IMO. I let mine soak in mineral spirits in an old water bottle overnight, with an occasional shake. Rinsed it with simple green, then water, then let it dry in a hot garage. Chain is slightly louder than a freshly oiled chain. Not the greatest in wet climates. TBH, it really doesn't perform any worse as far as I can tell in the wet, but the issue is that just like an oiled chain..you've got to re-lube much more frequently if the chain is getting wet repeatedly. So basically riding through snow makes an oiled chain and waxed chain have to be relubed about just as often.

Re-waxing a chain is not bad at all. But it is more time consuming than slapping some oil on a chain. It would be a pain if you had to do it every few days rather than once a month. The process for re-waxing is basically: use a quicklink to remove chain from bike. toss it in a crockpot full of wax. Leave it there for a few minutes, then take it out, cool for 5 minutes, and put it on the bike.
To do over I would change my cleaning regimen to close to yours. I think I read too many opinions.

So you don’t recommend re-cleaning prior to re waxing? That makes it easy. I plan on just letting the extra wax harden in the crockpot until I need it again

I had a quick link lying around so I made sure to add that before reinstalling.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

Last edited by davei1980; 01-15-18 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 10:12 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Old 01-16-18, 08:58 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
I tried cleaning and waxing my chain this weekend. After reading much of the controversy surrounding wax vs oil I chose to use hot wax. The tipping point for me? I don't like getting oil on may right pant leg.

I wanted to clean the chain with chemicals I had lying around because a) I am a cheap bastard and b) I don't want some kid living next to an oil refinery in Houston to get sick because I bought more chemicals that I didn't need.

I did a lot of research and tried to combine as many good ideas as I could. Here are the steps I took:

1. Clean: Soak/agitate in a cocktail of: automatic transmission fluid (borrowed from my mother in law's garage), kerosene, and some chemical intake cleaner I also borrowed from my mother in law. NOTE - to do over, I would avoid transmission fluid. It's high in detergent but it leaves a heavy, oily residue which is hard to remove. I think I will stick to mineral spirits or MEK next time.

2. Rinse: in 70% isopropyl alchohol

3. Water bath: boiled 3-5 times using my BBQ side burner. I used a rag and wire brush to continue to clean. I also "boiled dry"

4. Hot wax: using a crock pot, I melted 1 wax ring, leftover from a toiled install which I never used and some paraffin wax. I soaked the chain, agitating once in a while until bubbles no longer appeared.

5. Air dry

All in all it looks great, it feels like the factory lube that John Allen wrote about in his article. There's still a lot of excess wax between the plates and the inner links making the chain feel "tight". I am hoping this condition rectifies itself after the 1st several miles of riding, otherwise, I will just boil it down and start over with just straight paraffin.
Why, oh why, oh why do people come up with these complicated cleaning methods for chains? They make absolutely no chemical sense...that answers that question...and are often counter productive.

Your cleaning "method" is overly complicated and has too many unnecessary steps. Let's start with your "mixture". Kerosene by itself would do the job. No need for the transmission fluid nor the intake cleaner. I'm not a huge fan of kerosene since it is a bit oily and doesn't evaporate cleanly. If you had used mineral spirits, you could have stopped right there and skipped to step 4 with a little bit of air drying in between.

Everything else you did...the alcohol soak, the excessive water treatment (5 times really!?) and the bake out of the water...were totally unnecessary and possibly damaging. The alcohol soak wouldn't have damaged the chain but boiling it in water up to 5 times just encourages oxidation of the steel.

Finally, there is the "hot wax". I've tried it in the past but never found it to be a superior method. All hot wax is is liquid wax. There are other ways to liquify the wax without heating it up. Solvents work just as well as heat and make the wax a whole lot easier to apply.

Yes, I'm talking about wax based lubricants. Drip it on, let the solvent evaporate and ride. Easy peasy. Don't make it hard when you can keep it simple and get the same result.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-16-18, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Am I off base?
In my experience, yes. I've used oil based lubricants in the past from Triflow to Phil's Tenacious oil. For the last 20 years I've been using White Lightning exclusively on all my bikes in all kinds of conditions. That includes while touring in the eastern US and during winter here in Colorado. I get about 3500 miles out of a chain and I only lubricate them about every 600 miles which is just about what everyone who uses oil reports for mileage and lubrication duration.

The one thing I don't have to deal with anymore is disgustingly dirty chains and the constant need to clean them. Tenacious oil is about the worst but Triflow is nearly as bad. I clean chains once when I install them and then never have to deal with it again. I don't have to clean crud out of the cassettes nor do I have to worry about touching the chain nor what the chain touches. Personally, even if I got half the mileage of oil lubricate chains, the cleanliness would be worth the price.

One final point that someone is bound to bring up: the need to apply dry lubricant after it rains. You really do need to apply oil lubricant after rain as well. The oil and water form an emulsion and the water will eventually come to rest on the steel of the chain where it can merrily oxidize away at the steel. You just don't notice it because the process is masked by the oil.

With a wax based lubricant, the oxidation is more noticeable because it will start to squeak since the wax doesn't move back in to cover up the noise. It's provides more of a early warning of something that is occurring whether you use wax or oil in wet conditions.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-16-18, 09:16 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Close but no cigar. You don't need to soak it overnight in mineral spirits. Shake it for about 30 seconds and fish it out, let it dry. Full stop. Not need for Simple Green or water or bourbon or unicorn urine or anything else. The mineral spirits will strip any wax or oil from the chain and all the other steps are superfluous.

Old 01-16-18, 09:59 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Close but no cigar. You don't need to soak it overnight in mineral spirits. Shake it for about 30 seconds and fish it out, let it dry. Full stop. Not need for Simple Green or water or bourbon or unicorn urine or anything else. The mineral spirits will strip any wax or oil from the chain and all the other steps are superfluous.
Close but no cigar.

The bourbon is ALWAYS necessary.
Old 01-16-18, 11:02 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Wax ring, I would not use. Increased viscosity and tackiness, no benefit, some cost to future cleanliness. Just stick w/ canning paraffin. (I used to work in a wax factory). Also, yes, either mineral spirits or kerosene is all you need to clean. No reason to mix them if you have both onhand, just choose one. And make sure it's all gone before you apply wax.

Last edited by HardyWeinberg; 01-16-18 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-16-18, 11:03 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not so sure about using a toilet ring. That's beeswax. Paraffin is likely better, although I don't really have a reason why.
Old 01-16-18, 11:07 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Not so sure about using a toilet ring. That's beeswax. Paraffin is likely better, although I don't really have a reason why.
It's not just beeswax, it's mixed with other stuff for room temp pliability and stickiness.
Old 01-16-18, 12:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Dumb lube-noob question; why mineral spirits? Wouldn't Simple Green, or Dawn, or maybe a citrus based de-greaser work?
Old 01-16-18, 12:56 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by Korina
Dumb lube-noob question; why mineral spirits? Wouldn't Simple Green, or Dawn, or maybe a citrus based de-greaser work?
Yes.

The other stuff just works a little better/faster. It stinks more though. And burns. And kills stuff...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.