Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Considering going electronic

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-27-20, 08:03 PM
Cassopher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I have an Allez Sprint Disc with a 105 groupset and I’m considering upgrading to ultegra di2. I’ve had di2 on a Venge that I used to own and I loved the smoothness of the shifting, the ability to shift under load, and to shift from one side of the cassette to the other effortlessly.
105 is a perfectly fine group for my level of cycling but di2 and its garmin functionality is something else that I miss. Anyone care to offer insight on if it’s worth upgrading the Allez sprint to an electronic groupset?
Old 10-27-20, 08:56 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Another 'should I upgrade do Di2' thread? How do you guys manage to pick out socks in the morning w/o outside assistance? Jesus, you've already owned Di2 and you still have to ask for help?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-27-20, 11:08 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Another 'should I upgrade do Di2' thread? How do you guys manage to pick out socks in the morning w/o outside assistance? Jesus, you've already owned Di2 and you still have to ask for help?
There are several very active sock forums on the internet. Most have a stickie devoted to morning sock selection.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-27-20, 11:23 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
No one is forcing you to read or comment on these threads. The title was quite clear.
Nothing wrong with a fellow cyclist looking for 2nd and 3rd opinions. Sometimes the answer is a given, but people would still like some validity for their decision.
Perhaps the OP wants a devil's advocate, to either reinforce their decision or talk them out of it.
One person's trash post is another person's bike saving thread.
Don't judge
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 10-28-20, 03:10 AM
Cassopher

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I didn’t mean offense, the question if you read the post is if the Allez Sprint frame is worth the di2 upgrade. Sorry for the trouble of having you read another post on the internet about electronic shifting.
Old 10-28-20, 04:55 AM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Seems like you’re already sold on di2, why worry about whether or not the frameset is worthy?

Heck, there’s no rules against putting a 2016 Corvette LS engine into a 1975 Mercury Bobcat- you can put di2 onto a Centurion Ironman or a Surly Cross Check if that’s what boats your goat.

You can even mix di2 with non-carbon wheels, even non-aero wheels!

shucks, now I want to see a GMC Denali frameset with di2 and sun cr-18 wheels.

———

personally, I think that if you must have gears and you have enough disposable income, Rohloff on a Riv Roadeo is the only answer. Painted red, of course.

Last edited by hsuBM; 10-28-20 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-28-20, 06:15 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I think both electronic group sets are interesting. However, they are expensive and the longevity of any electronic device that is used outside is going to be limited. Replacement and repair of key parts of these group sets is expensive. I believe a blown motor in the RD is about $1,000.

So when I compare them to something I know will last more than a decade before inexpensive maintenance like Campy Chorus and Record, even Super Record the value proposition is weak for electronic drivetrains. Campy Record slots in between them cost-wise, while Super Record is a few hundred more than SRAM.

Not convinced it is a good way to go.
Old 10-28-20, 06:20 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Curious.. what would be the cost of a full conversion to Di2?
Old 10-28-20, 06:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
I think both electronic group sets are interesting. However, they are expensive and the longevity of any electronic device that is used outside is going to be limited. Replacement and repair of key parts of these group sets is expensive. I believe a blown motor in the RD is about $1,000.

So when I compare them to something I know will last more than a decade before inexpensive maintenance like Campy Chorus and Record, even Super Record the value proposition is weak for electronic drivetrains. Campy Record slots in between them cost-wise, while Super Record is a few hundred more than SRAM.

Are you high?
Old 10-28-20, 06:39 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Are you high?
No just smart, very smart. I have a keen awareness for value, especially long term.

I put electronic shifting basically in the same bucket as disk brakes and tubeless road tires. Nice, interesting but with questionable performance benefits, more headaches and higher cost, especially over the long-term.

As for comparing Record and Super Record, anyone that would pick those two electronic group sets over those is definitely high.
Old 10-28-20, 06:41 AM
Koyote

No just smart, very smart. I have a keen awareness for value, especially long term.

I put electronic shifting basically the same bucket as disk brakes and tubeless road tires. Nice, interesting but with questionable performance benefits, more headaches and higher cost.
If you're so very very smart, find me an entire RD, of any type or brand, that costs $1,000.

You're just making stuff up, with no basis in reality.
Old 10-28-20, 07:04 AM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Loving this new direction of the thread.

ultegra di2 rd: ~$250 in 2020C.E.
DA di2 rd: ~$600 in 2020C.E.

regardless of the cost of a motor, it certainly would be a pain to replace. You’d have to be a serious tinkering fetishist to want to undertake that, even if the motor costs only $5, rather than to just buy a new derailer (or since were talking about 8-16 years into the future when compatability becomes a question, just get a new groupset).

———

I still vote Rohloff.

———
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 10-28-20, 07:05 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts

I put electronic shifting basically in the same bucket as disk brakes and tubeless road tires. Nice, interesting but with questionable performance benefits, more headaches and higher cost, especially over the long-term.
Then don't get it....

We all value things differently.

My wife had a hard time letting me spend $700 on a complete bike for her. Maybe she's smarter than you?
Old 10-28-20, 07:06 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
What??

Amazon sells the 11-speed Dura Ace Di2 for under $600, and the Ultegra 11-speed Di2 rear for under $300.

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Dura-...3890098&sr=8-2

Are you including the labor to replace just the blown motor in your $1000?
Likes For redcon1:
Old 10-28-20, 07:25 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
The Allez Sprint Disc is a really cool and solid frame. An Ultegra Di2 version of this bike sounds awesome to me, but I am wondering if the frame is set up to deal with the wiring and junction boxes, etc? SRAM's wireless system is definitely the way I'd go.

A SRAM Red AXS eTAP rear derailleur is like $700, so I'd probably go with Force. Because... motors 'n stuff.
Old 10-28-20, 07:29 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by msu2001la
The Allez Sprint Disc is a really cool and solid frame. An Ultegra Di2 version of this bike sounds awesome to me, but I am wondering if the frame is set up to deal with the wiring and junction boxes, etc? SRAM's wireless system is definitely the way I'd go.

A SRAM Red AXS eTAP rear derailleur is like $700, so I'd probably go with Force. Because... motors 'n stuff.
OP is asking about Di2.
Old 10-28-20, 07:34 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Koyote
OP is asking about Di2.
Cool. I responded about Di2 and gave my opinion about its use on an Allez Sprint Disc.

What is going on with this thread?
Old 10-28-20, 07:47 AM
Koyote

Cool. I responded about Di2 and gave my opinion about its use on an Allez Sprint Disc.

What is going on with this thread?
Good point, sorry about that. I went to the Spec website, and it appears (could be wrong) that the frame is not drilled for Di2.

Still, even a top-of-the-line electronic RD from SRAM is well under $1,000. Still waiting for Mulberry20 to explain how it's sooo expensive to repair a RD.
Old 10-28-20, 08:08 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Mulberry20 wrote:

However, they are expensive and the longevity of any electronic device that is used outside is going to be limited..

False. The electronic units likely last longer in crappy conditions than a mechanical as the system is pretty much not affected by rain, mud, etc... Is why they are actually an advantage on mt. bikes.

I believe a blown motor in the RD is about $1,000.

False again. An Ultegra Di2 rear derailer is $285
Old 10-28-20, 08:35 AM
msu2001la

Not to belabor the point, but is it even possible to replace just the motor in a Di2 rear derailleur?

Does Shimano sell parts like this? I assume the whole thing is sold as a complete assembly, and not designed to allow dismantling and replacing of individual internal/electronic parts.
Old 10-28-20, 08:44 AM
Koyote

Not to belabor the point, but is it even possible to replace just the motor in a Di2 rear derailleur?

Does Shimano sell parts like this? I assume the whole thing is sold as a complete assembly, and not designed to allow dismantling and replacing of individual internal/electronic parts.
Yes, that is the other ridiculous part of Mulberry20 's post. You know, along with the part about spending $1,000 to repair a derailleur that costs....A lot less than $1,000.

I swear, I know some people really don't like electronic systems. But if you're gonna lie about them, at least make it slightly plausible.

The funny thing is that Mulberry20 started a thread, just yesterday, asking people for opinions on eTap vs Di2. Seems like trolling to come in, just a day later, and start slamming electronic shifting.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-28-20, 09:32 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
Amazon sells the 11-speed Dura Ace Di2 for under $600, and the Ultegra 11-speed Di2 rear for under $300. Are you including the labor to replace just the blown motor in your $1000?
I second this info. I had to replace my Ultegra Di2 RD last year due to an instant catastrophic failure while JRA. $300 installed at the LBS.
Old 10-28-20, 09:33 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I second this info. I had to replace my Ultegra Di2 RD last year due to an instant catastrophic failure while JRA. $300 installed at the LBS.
Did you give a $700 tip?

FYI.. Sram Red eTap RD $399
https://bikecloset.com/product/sram-...m-wifli-black/

Last edited by GlennR; 10-28-20 at 09:42 AM.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-28-20, 10:29 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
It is worth it if you like the bike, like electronic shifters, and more importantly, have the disposable income to afford it. Only you can decide, but if you like it enough, the value others place on your bike is irrelevant. The shifters may make you enjoy the bike even more. Don't ask what I would do though, I still run friction.
Old 10-28-20, 10:33 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassopher
I have an Allez Sprint Disc with a 105 groupset and I’m considering upgrading to ultegra di2. I’ve had di2 on a Venge that I used to own and I loved the smoothness of the shifting, the ability to shift under load, and to shift from one side of the cassette to the other effortlessly.
105 is a perfectly fine group for my level of cycling but di2 and its garmin functionality is something else that I miss. Anyone care to offer insight on if it’s worth upgrading the Allez sprint to an electronic groupset?
Specifically because this would be pretty much like making your current ride more like what you had, then I'd say to go for it. I think it's one (or two) levels beyond swapping your computer from one bike to another, and because you found a use for Di2 that's more than just shifting gears, then it sounds like a worthwhile upgrade to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.