Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What carbon bikes should I consider?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-21, 09:15 PM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I am fairly financially comfortable (though make far less than many of you) and have a great (Mosaic) titanium bike I love. I suppose I could be happy forever with my Mosaic, but that would violate the N+1 rule.

I had a 2012 Cervelo R3 I really liked, but the limitation of 23mm tires got old. (Mosaic has recently been found to take 28s.)

Suppose I have more money than sense. (That likely says more about my sense than my money.) If I want a carbon fiber bike, what should I get? (Don't 'splain to me, just answer the question.) I would like to go fast and comfortably. I will want a power meter and nice deep wheels (if I have to add on, okay). Looking online, Trek Madone is highly recommended (although I must admit I don't love the looks), Cannondale SystemSix and SuperSix Evo, and Specialized Aethos and S Works Creo (okay this is getting even more expensive than my imagination, but if it's that good, let me know). Some of the Canyon bikes look pretty great too, but I'm shy about ordering online. What bike would make you envious when you see a rider less talented than you riding it? That's my goal!
Old 04-23-21, 09:26 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I personally am not jealous of others bike purchases. I think each person enjoys the bike they want. You need to find what fits, what you would enjoy riding and not worry about what others think about what you are riding. It you like the Madone, but dont like the base package, go Project 1, and you can get it looking like you want.

Old 04-23-21, 09:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
There is clearly only one bike that meets your criteria, the ******** **** *******.

On edit: I don't know why, but the name of the bike keeps getting deleted by the forum software.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-23-21, 11:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Get a custom steel bike. Steel contains carbon atoms.
Old 04-24-21, 01:39 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
On Bike Forums there are a whole cadre of people who are absolutely disgusted that anyone would spend more than they did on anything. From everyone else, there can be appreciation when they see a nice bike, sure, but envy? Nah.

I suppose it's easier to think of the bike that elicits the opposite reaction from envy, and that would be the chuckle of seeing a bike with a rider who doesn't know themselves. Don't get a bike that has a geometry requiring too much compromise to match your fit. Don't go for ridiculously deep wheels if you have difficulty handling crosswinds or are spending most of your effort struggling up climbs, or featherweight tubulars that suggests a misguided belief that you're tackling HC mountains on the regular if you JRA in plains of the Midwest where the steepest pitches are the interstate overpasses (at least that's how I remembered my childhood in Chi-town).

Or, don't care what others think and ride around happily and confidently on anything.

P.S. if you get a Creo, which is an ebike, the most likely emotion you'll evoke from others is relief when they realize its motor is how you made up for the gap in talent.

Last edited by surak; 04-24-21 at 10:44 AM.
Likes For surak:
Old 04-24-21, 06:08 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by surak
P.S. if you get a Creo, which is an ebike, the most likely emotion you're evoke from others is relief when they realize its motor is how you made up for the gap in talent.
LOL....I was riding a MUP one day and I was cruising along about 18 -20 and I noticed some people up ahead of me by about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. They seemed to be on upright bikes just based on the profile an I just noted that to be aware of my surroundings. It took me about 4 miles to catch them, and when I did I realized they were on e-bikes, cause I was seriously questioning my speed showing on my computer. As I was making my way back, they put those things into turbo and rode by me.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-24-21, 06:32 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
If you like your Cervelo, check this out: Caledonia
Likes For jwalther:
Old 04-24-21, 07:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Current Cervelo R-series will take a 28-30mm, depending up the rims and tires used and then there's the previously mentioned Caledonia/Caledonia 5 which will take larger. If you really want to go larger and do fast gravel, there's the Aspero series.
Old 04-24-21, 07:34 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If you buy a $15,000 bike that's less than your new car will depreciate in 3 years.

It seems the "sweet" spot for a great bike is the $4000-$5000 range. You can get a really nice frame with Ultegra and nice wheels.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-24-21, 12:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
It seems the "sweet" spot for a great bike is the $4000-$5000 range.
As surak pointed out, if that's not what I spent then it can't be the sweet spot ... for anybody.
Old 04-24-21, 12:44 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Not whatever the top level is. I swear that just exists to make the second-tier stuff look affordable.

I own a Trek so for them it'd be something like an SL7 with Ultegra Di2 and Pro level wheels and not the Dura Ace and RSL wheels. I ended up ordering an SLR7 Domane simply because the SL7 wouldn't be available until 2022.
Old 04-24-21, 12:47 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22585 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Your goal is to make other riders envious?

Hmm....
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-24-21, 03:56 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I'd reach out to trekmogul, he'll have advice on what to get.
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 04-24-21, 04:47 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by profjmb
What bike would make you envious when you see a rider less talented than you riding it? That's my goal!
None.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-24-21, 05:26 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by guachi
Not whatever the top level is. I swear that just exists to make the second-tier stuff look affordable.

I own a Trek so for them it'd be something like an SL7 with Ultegra Di2 and Pro level wheels and not the Dura Ace and RSL wheels. I ended up ordering an SLR7 Domane simply because the SL7 wouldn't be available until 2022.

Same here....

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-24-21, 05:27 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
The try-hards are doing Factor bikes these days.
Old 04-24-21, 05:31 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
I'd reach out to trekmogul, he'll have advice on what to get.
$$$$$$$$

Did I put enough dollar signs in?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-24-21, 06:22 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
if you really want a carbon bike , or just a bike upgrade , try to just get a newer bike with disc brakes , new bikes depreciate in value so fast , i saw a robioux 2018 at 1000 usd WTF
also you really need to nail down what you main style of riding will be , the madone is super fast on flat , but requires a more skilled climber to bring up hills as easy as a pure climbing bike , some times you need to figure out the trade off...
if you want a slick aero bike you can always convert an older tt or tri bike to road bars !!

for specialized the allez elite at 1200ish and sprint around 2000 are just as fast as sworks venge ( imo aethos is a POS )
the new cannondale has a few proprietary parts that kinda make it suck m if you break one of those parts you will have rely on them being available or your shop being able to oder , and that might leave you without a bike for weeks .
you could look at the new BMC roadmachine , super slick bike not to expensive .

id really recommend building up from a frame , you can get more value for your money rather than being forced to ride on what the factory gives you , but i wouldn't spend more than 5k on a bike .

id be hyped to see any bike that just set up nice , i like Chinese carbon american steel , as long as its set up and personalized , that shows you actual know what you are doing rather than just spending money !
Old 04-25-21, 03:38 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22585 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
$$$$$$$$

Did I put enough dollar signs in?
You forgot to make them sideways.
Old 04-25-21, 02:48 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13706 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 2,502 Posts
Allied Cycle Works - USA Made Carbon Fiber Road Bikes
Likes For rjones28:
Old 04-25-21, 04:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I wouldn't buy based totally on frame material. Figure out what components you want on the bike and whether weight or aero means more to you.

You probably won't find many bikes in your area with top tier components on them that are anything but carbon, maybe a few aluminum.

I say spend as much as you care to spend. You can't take it with you, money or bike.
Old 04-26-21, 01:07 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I'll put in a vote for the aethos. I haven't ridden it yet but based on what specialized claims to have done, I think it's closer to the future (and yes, also the past) of carbon bikes than any other bike on the market right now.

The structure/shape of a frame heavily influences how stiff it is, how it rides, etc. Material alone is probably less than half the story. The reason early aero bikes sucked is that it's hard to make efficient structures that aren't shaped optimally for the load they bear. The only reason aero bikes etc exist is that the UCI doesn't allow fairings. IMO any frame that caters even slightly to the wind is fundamentally compromised from a structural point of view. I'll even extend that to wheels, but maybe that's a bit extreme.

Last edited by smashndash; 04-26-21 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-26-21, 01:40 AM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
I'm sure this sounds trite but all carbon bikes by major manufacturers are good these days so find what fits. Don't worry if its got 105, Ultegra or whatever, unless you have to have Di2, of course

I bought a Spesh Tarmac SL6 Sport and everyone slags it for vfm but it fits me like a glove and is comfy to ride, and I wasnt going to spend SL7 money for proprietary components that can't be sourced elsewhere.

Out of what you mention, I'd go Aethos as its a classic design with modern tech, so parts are interchangeable
Old 04-26-21, 05:18 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Well, consider the DeRosa Merak - read the review in recent issue of Cyclist magazine.
Old 04-26-21, 05:47 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
In the for what it's worth category, I too own and ride a Merlin Ti bike that is really a great bike. I also own and ride an Orbea Orca Gold that I also love.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.