Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

62 mile city ride hills

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

62 mile city ride hills

Old 08-15-21, 08:54 AM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
62 mile city ride hills

I'm planning for a big ride event coming at the end of this month. I've been riding all of my bikes the past few weeks more often, they are a few fixed gears and singlespeeds but for this big ride I don't think they will be suitable. For right now all I have is a Giant Trinity A0 tri bike that is my only bike with gears. I know the ride is harsh and the terrain maybe be crazy hills and potholes so will it be possible or should I plan on getting my first road bike?
Old 08-15-21, 09:13 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
More details. Is this a ‘fun’ charity-type event or a Fondo/Sportive? What are the longest and steepest grades? You could put a smaller gear on the single speed if most of the time is being spent climbing, and you can coast downhill on single speed. You’ll give up some speed on the flats but if there is truly an large amount of climbing this won’t matter too much in the overall scheme of things. With less than two weeks to go you’re almost certainly better off on a bike you know rather than trying to set up a new bike.
Old 08-15-21, 09:21 AM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
It is pedal PGH a once a year ride event and there are different routes. I'm pretty sure it is just a fun charity event and no competition but I want to take the longest route, which will be my 2nd time I did it on a hybrid Giant FCR years ago.