Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Front rack on 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-22, 03:30 PM
tachoknight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Hey all-

My wife and I are doing our first RAGBRAI this year on our tandem 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2. I was wondering if there's any way to mount a front rack to the Fatty fork; there only seems to be eyelets for a fender and nothing else.

Thanks for any info!
Old 02-26-22, 02:47 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
The fender eyelets on the dropouts are used to mount the vertical rack supports and the fork center hole provides the mount for the stainless steel bracket. This is how I have my front rack on my Cannondale, albeit being mounted to a steel fork. However, the thicker fork blades may necessitate the use of a longer bolt with a spacer. This is the typical front rack mount, not to be confused with a lowrider rack mount. That entails brackets to grab the fork blades. Touring forks have threaded braze ons or through holes for lowriders on the fork blades mid points.

Is there a reason you want a front rack and not just a handlebar bag? Alternatively, why not a rear rack? Pretty sure all Cannondales have the needed braze-ons for quick rear rack mounting. My two do.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-28-22, 10:44 AM
tachoknight

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, that does help; I had forgotten spacers are a thing . I couldn't post a pic (haven't posted ten times yet), but the bike does have a back rack already and a pretty good handlebar bag. The idea for the front rack is to support us on tours where it's just us and we have to bring the camp stove, freeze-dried foods, and the most important piece of gear: the camp coffee canteen.
Old 03-04-22, 01:03 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Yes, coffee is a must. I have a camp stove espresso machine that has turned a few heads. Although we haven't bicycle toured with it, we have been car camping in some remote places. When people see our double lattes with foam and powdered chocolate on top, they can't quite believe their eyes. I get the coffee thing!
Old 03-06-22, 07:53 AM
Juke41

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
I was in the process of doing the very same thing. Originally, the tandem had steel raked forks, but I wanted to upgrade to discs all round so got a set of Fatty tandem forks, these had no eyelets for a front low rider carrier so i got some clamps from Tubus that fitted on the fork legs.
These were ok, but not very aesthetically pleasing and despite protecting the fork legs with pieces of inner tube and tape, the bolts marked the paint work which caused water to penetrate and blister.
I got some solid aluminium bar and made a couple of brackets which I JB welded on, drilled and tapped the centre for the fixing bolt.
Just need to prep for paint and the jobs done.

Old 03-06-22, 03:59 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
We have this one on our 2011 edition.

https://www.axiomgear.com/products/r...disc-lowrider/
Old 03-07-22, 01:11 PM
tachoknight

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Wow that looks really nice! I have access to a welder myself...
Old 03-07-22, 02:36 PM
Juke41

I thought about TIG welding it but didnt want to risk putting too much heat into the blades and they becoming "softer" than they should.
Also thought about drilling the fork and tapping it out, again I didnt want to risk weakening the blades.
I've used JB Weld on similar projects that dont take too much load, they seem solid enough now
Old 04-09-22, 09:56 AM
Juke41

So painted the forks and assembled back together
Old 04-09-22, 09:57 AM
Juke41