Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Vuelta ZeroLite Comp 26" Wheelset Alternative?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 04-27-22, 02:39 PM
caffeinenyc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Currently building out an '86 Cannondale SM600 frame set. As I'm not looking to restore it to its original parts, I'm looking for a reliable hand built wheel set within the same price range and build quality to the Vuelta ZeroLite Comp which seems to be sold out everywhere.. I'm new to bike building and have slowly been buying parts for this frame set, hoping to get it all finished in a month or two.

If you have any suggestions in general for the frame set / words of wisdom or tips and tricks, please let me know!

Thanks!
Old 04-27-22, 11:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I don't know that you will find a handbuilt wheelset in that price point and I have my doubts that Vuelta is hand building those wheels at that price unless they are just using super cheap parts and even cheaper labor and still not charging for it but I have a feeling you could get 26" wheels pretty easily used that will be a much higher quality.
Old 04-28-22, 10:23 AM
caffeinenyc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have a feeling you could get 26" wheels pretty easily used that will be a much higher quality.
Heard that, thank you for the insight! When buying used wheel sets is there anything in particular that I should look for as far as red flags / solid wheel sets?
Old 04-28-22, 10:40 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by caffeinenyc
Heard that, thank you for the insight! When buying used wheel sets is there anything in particular that I should look for as far as red flags / solid wheel sets?
If they are dented or damaged, if the brake track is worn out if the spokes feel loose or the hub feels problematic. Look for good reliable parts from back in the day. LX and above from Shimano will generally give you good service life and potentially have a high chance of finding replacement parts. Make sure things are relatively in true and dish and you should be decent if any doubts meet the seller at your local shop and see if they can take a look at the wheels?
Old 04-28-22, 11:17 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 77 Posts
Velomine has an assortment worth checking out.

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...&cPath=122_363

Personally I went with Velocity Cliffhangers laced to Deore hubs