Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I hate flat tires...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I hate flat tires...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 08:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
Seriously, @jimmuller, you put a tubular on a 700c clincher rim? Wow.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-30-15, 04:32 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Seriously, @jimmuller, you put a tubular on a 700c clincher rim? Wow.
Well, yeah. I had seen it mentioned here in BF, C&V in fact. It was a "let's see how it works as we go along" experiment. The tire dropped nicely into the slot of the rim. I pumped it up enough to hold his weight and keep the tire on the rim, but nowhere near what I'd usually ride because I didn't want it to risk pulling the seam apart where it made poor contact in the well of the rim. I gave him a stern warning about not cornering hard and to keep his speed down with the front brake on the 30+mph hill we had to descend. Then we rode for 100yds or so, stopped and check it out. It creaked a bit but nothing seemed seriously amiss so we continued to a happy ending.
Old 06-30-15, 05:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Well, yeah. I had seen it mentioned here in BF, C&V in fact. It was a "let's see how it works as we go along" experiment. The tire dropped nicely into the slot of the rim. I pumped it up enough to hold his weight and keep the tire on the rim, but nowhere near what I'd usually ride because I didn't want it to risk pulling the seam apart where it made poor contact in the well of the rim. I gave him a stern warning about not cornering hard and to keep his speed down with the front brake on the 30+mph hill we had to descend. Then we rode for 100yds or so, stopped and check it out. It creaked a bit but nothing seemed seriously amiss so we continued to a happy ending.
I read about it here, too, and recently. I thought it works on 27" and not 700c. Or maybe it was the other way around. Well, you're the proof that it will work on at least one.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-06-15, 09:44 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Riding to the station in the twilight this morning, about 5:05 AM,I hit something with my front wheel, and immediately heard a fffft fffft fffft. I stopped and went back to see what I'd hit; it was an inconsequential looking pebble, about the size of half of a golf ball, but I guess it was a direct hit. Replaced the tube as quickly as I could, and got to the station just in time to see my train leaving. But the next one was only twenty minutes later, by which time I had the tube patched (classic snakebight, but one patch covered them both). I guess I should have had my tire inflated a little harder.
Old 07-06-15, 12:36 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
The other day I was riding home from work for the first time on my Eddy - an ambitious undertaking for me, as I am recovering from a recently dislocated knee and the 1000 ft elevation gain in 4 miles is one I usually attack with 34T cog, rather than the 26T on the Eddy. Brand new tubular tires, my first ever (less than 10 miles).

At exactly the halfway point I hear a 'pop' which is remarkable, with my terrible hearing, but no mistaking the instant deflation. No spare, of course, and I'm hiking up that hill instead of riding it. So this weekend I got my first crack at tearing into sew-ups to patch the tube, stitching and gluing it all back together again - what a PITA! Oh, well, I've learned an important bike-nerd skill and that tire should be solid now for awhile, right?

This morning, I set out down my long gravel driveway; I've gone not more than 100 yards and... 'pop.'

Wow, it's hard to believe those Vittoria Rallys are this fragile, but today I headed to work - an hour early, just in case - on my Eddy with the tubulars. One tire (the twice-repaired one) has just over 10 miles on it now, the other one installed fresh with zero miles, running about 90psi. I took the five-mile scenic route to work, being real careful about my descending speeds, just in case. I got well past all the hairy descents and short gravel stretch, but sure enough, about mile 4 on the dead-flat, ultra smooth and super clean paved waterfront MUP, the new tire flats. Dead-center in the tread gain, this time a small puncture rather than an explosive one.

Three flats in 14 miles is definitely a new record for me. I won't be buying any more Vittoria Rallys. Up next: Continental Sprinters. Wish me luck!
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 07-10-15, 05:03 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

I learned two things today. I commuted most of the last two weeks on bikes with either tubulars or high-end clinchers and had no flat at all, at all. So today I rode the Bianchi with Gatorskins which have generally been bombproof until today. Around the midpoint of my commute this morning I got a flat while on the smoothly-paved MinuteMan Bikeway. My first flat of the year, I think. Dang, swapped out the tube but couldn't find the cause, pumped up the tire and went on my way, got to work uneventfully. A few hours later I noticed the tire flat again. Dang. In the quiet of my office I found a tiny sliver of glass. Started to patch both tubes and discovered the tube of glue in my patch kit had gone dry. Uh-oh. I asked around the building, came up with one possible solution, some 3-M spray-on contact cement in one of the production stations. So I patched both tubes with it.

And what did I learn? First, that 3-M spray-on contact cement doesn't work very well for patching tires. Second, that those spiffy blue plastic Park Tool tire irons are worthless. The tire irons have a lip under the bottom which makes leveraging the tire off the rim nearly impossible, and also they like to pop off if you don't hold them so you can't use both hands to get the second one under the tire bead.

I thought the tubes had patched up nicely so I mounted one. But as I was about to leave for home I noticed the tired flat again. Hmm, I thought maybe if I pumped it up it would leak slowly enough that I could put down some miles before pumping it up again. That's exactly what I did, stopping every 2 or 3 miles after it started to feel soft. Eventually I pushed my luck too far because I head it go pfffst and then it would hold no air. Probably a pinch flat. Put on the other tube, went through the same procedure, made it to Belmont Wheelworks to buy some new tubes, a patch kit, and a set of tire irons, and eventually made it home.

One observation, when the rear tire goes soft enough I could feel the bike get squirrelly.

Don't try this at home, boys and girls.
Old 07-11-15, 08:39 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts

And what did I learn? First, that 3-M spray-on contact cement doesn't work very well for patching tires. Second, that those spiffy blue plastic Park Tool tire irons are worthless. The tire irons have a lip under the bottom which makes leveraging the tire off the rim nearly impossible, and also they like to pop off if you don't hold them so you can't use both hands to get the second one under the tire bead.

I think I'd rather use spoons, or screwdrivers than those POC Park levers. Might I recommend Michelin and Pedro's. I use one of each.

Old 07-11-15, 10:49 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
@jimmuller, there's a karmic irony in your tale. I must refer you to @oldskool and his memorable signature line. With all the riding you do, about as much as I, I can't believe you've had only one puncture this year. I must have had a dozen by now. I am not happy about this, but at least I learned long ago that you must always carry at least one unopened tube of vulcanizing rubber cement. This is obligatory. Additional tubes of glue are a good idea, and one assumes there's an opened one in the kit as well. It may be useful, but don't count on it. An extra inner tube is a kind of fail safe, to be used only when the valve is compromised. As for those Park tire irons, they are a kind of lucky rabbit's foot. If they make you feel lucky, you will be lucky. Clearly they have worked for you got these many months, and I congratulate you. But with your good fortune you have, I'm sorry, grown complacent. Karma has a cure for that.

Don't get me wrong: there is no gloating, no Schadenfreude, here. Flat tires suck. But they stop us only for a little while. Ride on!
Old 07-11-15, 12:40 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

... came up with one possible solution, some 3-M spray-on contact cement in one of the production stations. So I patched both tubes with it.
Just from how poorly that worked on some reupholstery projects I've done, I wouldn't expect that stuff to hold well enough to fix a tube.

Second, that those spiffy blue plastic Park Tool tire irons are worthless. The tire irons have a lip under the bottom which makes leveraging the tire off the rim nearly impossible, and also they like to pop off if you don't hold them so you can't use both hands to get the second one under the tire bead.
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I think I'd rather use spoons, or screwdrivers than those POC Park levers. Might I recommend Michelin and Pedro's. I use one of each.

I've punctured enough newly patched tubes with screwdrivers not to go that route anymore. But I'll try the other ones you mentioned. My latest castastrophic failure, I think I actually managed to damage the tire's casing along the wire bead while installing it. Brand-new Panaracer Paselas 700x23, inflated to 110 PSI (10 under the max) tire tore off of the bead, fortunately at only about 15mph, and on the rear wheel.

I think I remember using the blue Park levers and struggling mightily to get that last 8 inches over the rim. First time I've had a tire fail in this manner, and I think it was my fault.

● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 07-11-15 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-11-15, 01:08 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
^^ Sucks when they go from brand-new to trash like that.

I've had no fewer than four flats on my new commuter with Michelin Country Rock tires. In about three weeks. All on the rear. Currently seeking some lurking issue I haven't noticed yet.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 07-11-15, 03:45 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by rhm
jimmuller, there's a karmic irony in your tale. ... With all the riding you do, about as much as I, I can't believe you've had only one puncture this year. ... I learned long ago that you must always carry at least one unopened tube of vulcanizing rubber cement. This is obligatory.
rhm, thank you thank you thank you for getting all of my flats so I didn't have to deal with them. That was so incredibly kind of you.

The funny thing is, I have this small Jannd seat bag just big enough to hold a tube and a patch kit and tire irons and maybe my cell phone if I'm running out of space in my handlebar bag because lunch is too big. I've swapped it between a few bikes as a security blanket. It handled that job nicely, made me feel secure. I just haven't had a flat in so long on either of those bikes that I've been taking it for granted. The only thing it couldn't do was actually patch a tire. Whodathunkit?

I've been buying patch kits to fix all the other flats I've found on tires sitting in the basement, or to carry on the bikes where that Jannd bag would obscure the blinky taillight. I found that one of my bikes had two patch kits. Now, how did that happen, I wonder?

Caveman, that's a real bummer!
Old 07-20-15, 11:08 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

I rode the Motobecane to work today and when I walked into my office I noticed the rear tire flat. The cause was a tiny thorn of glass. In the quiet of my office I got to swap out the sew-up for one I repaired some months ago, my first repair. On the way home I'll get to see how well I did or if it rides lumpy.
Old 07-20-15, 05:22 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have to say, Unfrozen Caveman, that as much as I like the occasional Panaracer Pasela which functions as advertised, I've had more trouble with them than most other tires I've used.
And J Ox, I've had none with Michellin Countrys. Years and years with nary a flat.

Old 07-20-15, 05:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I have to say, Unfrozen Caveman, that as much as I like the occasional Panaracer Pasela which functions as advertised, I've had more trouble with them than most other tires I've used.
And J Ox, I've had none with Michellin Countrys. Years and years with nary a flat.
I agree, but I still like Paselas a lot. Tires have to balance a lot of criteria: dry weather traction, wet weather traction, puncture protection, ride quality, durability, price, and others I can't think of now. The Pasela's ride quality is great for its price. Puncture protection (and ripped sidewalls) are not great, but for a fairly low priced tire that rides this well, I'm not complaining. If you want to optimize more criteria, you have to give up on price.

I have Vittoria Voyager Hypers on my Bianchi Volpe. They ride about as nicely. I expect them to last longer and get fewer flats. I paid more for them.

Old 07-21-15, 10:03 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I recently set up a bike with 700 x 32 Paselas (kevlar bead) on some Matrix rims I had previously used (with steel bead tires) with no trouble and no flats for a few years. The rear Pasela flatted repeatedly, always in the same area, across from the valve stem, and always on the rim side of the tube. I scrutinized the tire and the rim, and found nothing wrong with the tire and not a hint of spoke showing. Finally I spotted a small area where the rim tape wasn't quite centered and extended slightly into the bead seat area. I re-applied it, and no more flats (so far). I guess the kevlar bead just couldn't quite seat correctly, and was allowing the tube to get sucked in and pinched.
Old 07-21-15, 11:12 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Had a mishap yesterday where I dropped a pedal I was carrying while riding, ran over it, and got a pinch flat. No big deal, I'm a pretty quick tire changer. Then I realize that I have two spare tubes: a thin one good for tires up to 27 x 1-1/8 (this is for a 27 x 1-1/4 tire), or a schrader valve tube in the right size. The rim will fit the schrader valve, but I'm carrying a Silca pump that won't fit. Okay, put in the right size tube with the wrong valve and walk back to the LBS to pump it up. Got me home fine, but this morning the tire is only halfway pumped up. I think the spare tube must have a slow leak, so I'll be changing tubes again tonight. I hate flats, too.
Old 07-21-15, 11:57 AM
youngbull

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bummer! i never get flats but one day i will and i wont be prepared!! thats going to be one expensive taxi!
Old 07-21-15, 04:04 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by youngbull
bummer! i never get flats but one day i will and i wont be prepared!! thats going to be one expensive taxi!
Hence the adage to carry a spare or don't ride farther than you'd want to walk.
Old 07-21-15, 07:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by youngbull
Start practicing in the comfort of your home.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-22-15, 04:51 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Hence the adage to carry a spare or don't ride farther than you'd want to walk.
I fix my flats roadside and carry a phone just in case. Walking 50-70mi wont work, neither will my restricting myself to walkable distances.
Old 07-22-15, 12:47 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Your official "I Hate Flat Tires" pic o' the day:

Gee, ya think maybe I'd better get a new tire on this rim?

Pumped up the tires on the Grandis to about 90psi just before heading out for a 2 mile sprint to the auto shop to pick up my daughter's Honda. About halfway there, just flying past rush hour traffic in my dedicated bike lane, I noticed a bit of a thump coming from the front tire. Yikes! Depressurized the tire to about 45psi (as in the photo) and hoped for the best.

Made it! I think my luck may be turning.

Old 07-22-15, 02:06 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

LC, that bump looks, um, significant.

Speaking of luck, I rode home the other day on the sewup I'd repaired a few months ago and it seemed to do just fine until I got about halfway home when a bump appeared. I rode home with no incident but after looking closely I found a bump that corresponded to a jagged cut in the tread. I don't think that's the spot where I patched it. So it appears that I ran over something that cut some of the casing cords. The tire seems destined for the discard pile.

So today I rode the Gazelle which has 23mm Veloflex Master clinchers. I got 3/4ths of the way and the rear developed a leak. I couldn't find the cause or anything piercing the tire so I threw on another tube and rode to work. At the office I was able to find and patch the tiny hole.
Old 07-22-15, 03:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@jimmuller, the problem might prove to be in your stitching. I never could get my stitching to make the tire non-lumpy. I didn't learn that X-pattern stitch, and I just did an overhand stitch.

Old 07-22-15, 03:56 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
As a result of my most recent flat I ended up walking 12 miles to get back home. Luckily, I was wearing my Sidi touring shoes and not a pair of my cleated shoes; even so my arches were killing me when I got home well after midnight. Guess it could've been worse; could've been raining

My first ride on the Spinella after getting it back from storage at scozim's place, too.

DD
Old 07-22-15, 05:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Drillium Dude, you have to tell us more about how you got a flat you couldn't fix 12 miles from home. How long does it take to walk 12 miles?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.