Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn PDG series 30 mountain bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-23, 01:14 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts

Listed locally (SW Ohio) very good condition . They are asking $345 says 21 in frame. Is it worth that? If not what is it worth? Thanks for the information
Old 05-19-23, 01:19 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked 7,680 Times in 4,076 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
Listed locally (SW Ohio) very good condition . They are asking $345 says 21 in frame. Is it worth that? If not what is it worth? Thanks for the information
Nope. I don't think I'd wanna pay more than $100 personally, but maybe people are going nuts for 'em, who knows.

I probably wouldn't bother buying anything other than a 90 or a 70 personally. Well, maybe a 1991 pdg50, just because the paint job is so damn hot!!!

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-19-23 at 01:23 PM.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 05-19-23, 01:40 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Nope. I don't think I'd wanna pay more than $100 personally, but maybe people are going nuts for 'em, who knows.

I probably wouldn't bother buying anything other than a 90 or a 70 personally. Well, maybe a 1991 pdg50, just because the paint job is so damn hot!!!

Thanks I appreciate your input. I have seen fromm &100 to $400 in my market I was thinking $200 -$250 though $345 was high. plus I already have 7 bikes
Old 05-19-23, 07:22 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Not a 21 inch frame. Looks much smaller to me. Otherwise, nice bike. I had a similar one and it was very nice. Asking price is too high.
Old 05-19-23, 07:24 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked 7,680 Times in 4,076 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Not a 21 inch frame. Looks much smaller to me. Otherwise, nice bike. I had a similar one and it was very nice. Asking price is too high.
The pics aren't of the bike in question, just a pic of the lowest model PDG I'd consider for purchase.
Old 05-19-23, 08:45 PM
TugaDude

The pics aren't of the bike in question, just a pic of the lowest model PDG I'd consider for purchase.
My bad!
Old 05-20-23, 05:40 AM
plumberroy

I told him he was way to high he didn't appreciate it 😭
Old 05-20-23, 06:58 AM
TugaDude

I told him he was way to high he didn't appreciate it 😭
The great thing about bikes is they are plentiful. With a few exceptions, those you have to jump on immediately because they are highly sought after, most of the time the environment is target rich.

So if this one doesn't work out, then another will appear. And who knows, it might be even better.

I always tread lightly because some think their bike is rare, one of a kind even, when they aren't. I even had one fellow claim that the bike he had was a tribute to someone's daughter, having her name painted on the top tube by the manufacturer. Surely had to be a custom frame, right? No, it was just the model name and thousands were made just like it.

Imaginations are interesting things. But I try to give their dreams a soft landing and am just matter-of-fact. I never accuse or try to make them feel silly.

Maybe this person will realize after nobody offers them close to asking price, that they have been a little too optimistic.

If not, then another will appear as I said.

Good luck. And I appreciate your signature. I agree, and have family that never made it back. I'll never forget their sacrifice.
Old 05-20-23, 07:10 AM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude

So if this one doesn't work out, then another will appear. And who knows, it might be even better.

I always tread lightly because some think their bike is rare...

Imaginations are interesting things. But I try to give their dreams a soft landing and am just matter-of-fact. I never accuse or try to make them feel silly.
A little off topic, but along those lines -- there's a ratty, mid-80's Porsche 944 for sale in the local classifieds, and the seller describes it as having the 'rare wide body,' when, in fact, it just has the standard fender flares that every single Porsche 944 ever built had as standard issue. I thought about messaging the guy to correct him, but thought why? Someone who's less diplomatic than myself will probably point it out to him eventually, or, the next lucky owner will continue to propogate the myth, but in the end, what does it matter? People in the know won't be interested in the car in the first place.
Likes For Maxey:
Old 05-20-23, 10:37 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
A little off topic, but along those lines -- there's a ratty, mid-80's Porsche 944 for sale in the local classifieds, and the seller describes it as having the 'rare wide body,' when, in fact, it just has the standard fender flares that every single Porsche 944 ever built had as standard issue. I thought about messaging the guy to correct him, but thought why? Someone who's less diplomatic than myself will probably point it out to him eventually, or, the next lucky owner will continue to propogate the myth, but in the end, what does it matter? People in the know won't be interested in the car in the first place.
This.
”’Tis a fools task to correct others who feel they are expert in the matter”
Old 05-20-23, 12:16 PM
plumberroy

First thing if I don't get a bike it's no big deal I have 3 Surly's (Steamroller, LHT and Cross Check) a Raleigh Sports 1975 that looks new. Electra loft, a Univega mountain bike that I have done a drop bar conversion and a Bikesdirect 29 plus bike.

There is a specialized rock hopper that looks like they just put new tires on and had serviced in the area. It may be to small though . @ $135 asking is probably a better deal of course unless it's something special you never pay asking price.. if not I will find something interesting.
Or I could find thumb shifters and brake levers and change my Univega to butterfly bar .
Old 05-20-23, 07:43 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
pdg40

I have a PDG40, with complete Deore group and Tange Tube . It's an excellent bike , but 50 series and higher were probably the better ones. I only paid $120. Its almost unused . I bought it off a guy that had worked at the local Schwinn shop.
FYI..

Last edited by rossiny; 05-20-23 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-20-23, 09:39 PM
plumberroy

It's more of a N+1 thing anyway you guys have confirmed what I was thinking I appreciate it. I will find a new toy sooner or later. I would pick up a Raleigh steel C30 if I found one. Since I have several bikes I can wait till I find something that I find interesting at the price I want to pay. The pandemic is over and people are dumping bikes
Old 05-21-23, 07:25 AM
TugaDude

It's more of a N+1 thing anyway you guys have confirmed what I was thinking I appreciate it. I will find a new toy sooner or later. I would pick up a Raleigh steel C30 if I found one. Since I have several bikes I can wait till I find something that I find interesting at the price I want to pay. The pandemic is over and people are dumping bikes
I think you are right about the bike dumping, I do see some of that in my area. Some newer bikes, many of good quality are suddenly appearing.

In the end it is like any other purchase, be prepared to walk away unless the deal is "right". My father taught me that and I've put it into practice on many occasions. When you fall in love with something, that's when you are at the seller's mercy.
Old 05-21-23, 12:41 PM
plumberroy

Yeah I offered him $200 because I liked the bike and it is in very good condition. He came back at $230 . He got miffed when I told him $200 was very generous. . Bikes run a little higher here because there are 2 colleges local
Like I said I don't need another bike so it's not hard for me to Walk away. I may go look at a Specialized hardrock nice looking bike night be too small
Old 05-22-23, 06:36 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 3,736 Times in 1,835 Posts

I looking at the picture and agreeing with you, Good looking bike . . . wait a minute, that's my bike . . . was anyway. Too small for me, sold it a couple of years ago. I bought it, with an nearly new extra set of rims w/ nice street tires for $150, at the height of the Covid price spikes.
Old 05-23-23, 04:22 PM
plumberroy

I ended up buying a 90's Specialized Hardrock in very good condition mustard yellow . 19 inch frame . New tires
$100
Bikes run a little high here because of 2 major colleges local
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 05-25-23, 07:32 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts

the 1991 series 50 and 70 TIG’d frame and fork are basically the same (and an upgrade over the series 30) - so the 50 is a good buy also (in addition to the series 70 and 90)

and I agree about the paint (red marble)