Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are TPU Inner Tubes Repairable?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-23, 08:38 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

The pile of punctured rubber tubes in the garage keeps getting higher and higher, and because they're relatively inexpensive, it will probably keep growing until I sell it all to the nearest rubber fabricator for scrap.

I did a search and can't believe this hasn't been asked...

For the extra outlay, it would be worth it if TPU tubes may be patched.

What's the low-down on this?
Old 02-12-23, 09:04 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Yes…at least the Schwalbe Aerothan are. I’m riding one I patched two seasons ago with a Lezyne self-adhesive patch; I did prep the patch area with a wipe of isopropyl alcohol before applying the patch. It seems 100% in that it doesn’t leak down faster than the other, never damaged tube on the other wheel.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-13-23, 06:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
The pile of punctured rubber tubes in the garage keeps getting higher and higher, and because they're relatively inexpensive, it will probably keep growing until I sell it all to the nearest rubber fabricator for scrap.

I did a search and can't believe this hasn't been asked...

For the extra outlay, it would be worth it if TPU tubes may be patched.

What's the low-down on this?
In case nobody told you, all those rubber tubes can also be patched.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-13-23, 09:03 AM
MeganCook
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
TPU tubes can typically be patched using a compatible adhesive or patch kit. However, the patch's success will depend on the size and location of the puncture, as well as the quality of the adhesive or patch material used. It's best to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the specific TPU tube and patch kit you plan to use.
Old 02-13-23, 10:38 AM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
In case nobody told you, all those rubber tubes can also be patched.
Thx. Everytime I add to the pile, I tell myself, "One of these days...One of these days..." New tubes have been so reasonably priced that it's made me un-resourceful, perhaps lazy.

I did my first "find the leak" and patch when I was 6 or 7, part of mandatory training instilled by my late father -- right about the time when I was first reprimanded for blowing bubbles in my milk.

Last edited by michaelm101; 02-13-23 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-14-23, 12:26 PM
MeganCook
Banned.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's great that you have experience with bike maintenance and repair from a young age, and it's never too late to get back into it. Taking care of your bike can save you money and give you a sense of satisfaction, so don't hesitate to dive back in and tackle those repairs. And remember, even small repairs can make a big difference in the performance of your bike.
Old 02-14-23, 01:08 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,547 Times in 1,784 Posts
Always in search for an on-the-bike patch that will work on any tube, I found some self-adhesive TPU patches that are intended for air mattresses. They look pretty sturdy.

I'm going to try them out and will report back.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-14-23, 01:14 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Yes, I repaired one and it's fairly easy to do. BUT- it needs to dry overnight. Unlike rubber tubes where you can patch it on the side of the road and pump the tire up and continue riding. In other words you need to carry a spare tube and not just a patch kit if you are running TPU tubes.
Old 02-14-23, 01:19 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 441 Posts
In my opinion TPU tubes patch better than either butyl or latex, mainly because the punctures don't seem to tear/expand. I use glueless patches and they seem to work best at sealing the holes. In fact I'm running 2 punctured tpu tubes (now patched) on my road bike with no issues. Once patched, they can easily be put back into service.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 02-14-23, 01:22 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
I ordered a bunch of TPU tubes from AliExpress and they came with a TPU patch kit which I don't remember ordering. Haven't tried the patch kit or the tubes yet.

Old 02-14-23, 02:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Yes, I repaired one and it's fairly easy to do. BUT- it needs to dry overnight.
I would be surprised if that were true, as it was not in my experience; I pumped it up, it held air, and I’ve not looked at it since.
Old 08-16-23, 05:28 PM
danallen

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I just got my first tpu inner tubes. Also got a patch kit. The patch kit says the glue needs to dry for 30 minutes. I don't know if overnight is better or there is something different about the patches and tubes I got.

But I will tell you this. That tube sprung a leak within 3 days installation. Really slow leak, so I pulled out the tube, using a bucket of water found the leak. I am here to tell you, the hole is invisible. I used a jewler's loup and that hole is so small you cannot see it. Only the bubbles and the fait sound of airflow with hole right at the opening of my ear, showed me where the hole is.
I've had tiny holes in butyl inner tubes, but you can see them (until the rubber cement goes on). I will say it again, the hole in this tpu tube is invisible.
Old 08-16-23, 05:32 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
But I will tell you this. That tube sprung a leak within 3 days installation. Really slow leak, so I pulled out the tube, using a bucket of water found the leak. I am here to tell you, the hole is invisible. I used a jewler's loup and that hole is so small you cannot see it. Only the bubbles and the fait sound of airflow with hole right at the opening of my ear, showed me where the hole is.
I've had tiny holes in butyl inner tubes, but you can see them (until the rubber cement goes on). I will say it again, the hole in this tpu tube is invisible.
So is this a new puncture unrelated to the patch? Or is it leaking at the edge of the patch?
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 09-04-23, 03:39 PM
danallen

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It was a hole in a tube that had not been patched. It happened on two tubes in a row. I don't yet know the cause.