Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rotator Cuff shoulder pain following long-ish rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-18, 04:55 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi, don't know if that makes a lot of sense, but I recently upgraded from 10yo Specialized Roubaix to Cervelo R3 and love the new bike a lot! The only problem is that I started having a shoulder pain (long-standing Rotator Cuff problem), usually following longish rides. Also, my hands get numb on rough roads on a new bike, which almost never happened on the old bike.
One of the things I am suspecting is an increased amount of handlebars vibration on the new bike, Cervelo being much stiffer than my old Roubaix.
Any thoughts? Would carbon handlebars help here?
Thanks!
Old 10-08-18, 06:58 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vtje
Hi, don't know if that makes a lot of sense, but I recently upgraded from 10yo Specialized Roubaix to Cervelo R3 and love the new bike a lot! The only problem is that I started having a shoulder pain (long-standing Rotator Cuff problem), usually following longish rides. Also, my hands get numb on rough roads on a new bike, which almost never happened on the old bike.
One of the things I am suspecting is an increased amount of handlebars vibration on the new bike, Cervelo being much stiffer than my old Roubaix.
Any thoughts? Would carbon handlebars help here?
Thanks!
I think the issue is related to your overall fit on the new bike. The symptom is showing up in the shoulder, but it’s cause probably lies elsewhere.
Old 10-08-18, 08:39 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Could be Bursitis, I found hot water directed on the shoulder during the after-ride shower keeps it in check. Wet heat.
Old 10-08-18, 09:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
It's fit not vibrations. You can still buy carbon bars, though.
Old 10-08-18, 10:02 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Two bikes have different geometries. Older Roubaix's have some of the tallest stack in the industry.
You likely have more weight on your hands with the Cervelo. You can compare stack and reach of each geometry chart and what stem you had/have on each to determine the position difference.
Old 10-09-18, 04:02 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I completely tore my rotator cuff 5 years ago, if you are sure it is really pain there, I agree with the fit (especially reach) recommendations. After surgery, I was told to avoid fully extended arm exercises and straight up overhead weight lifting. The more slammed your stem, the more your arms are stretched out on the bike, the closer you get to those conditions.
Old 10-09-18, 09:17 AM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think you guys nailed it, the stack is about 25mm lower on a new bike. Ironically, one of the requirements for the upgrade was to get a more aggressive position on the bike.
Thank you all, there are some ways to increase stack, I will try it
Old 10-09-18, 01:34 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If your reach is too short or too long, you will have less or more than ideal shoulder rotation, which will inevitably lead to added work for rotator cuffs. Your upper arms should roughly have a right degree angle with your torso.
Old 10-09-18, 01:47 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Could be Bursitis, I found hot water directed on the shoulder during the after-ride shower keeps it in check. Wet heat.
Could be anything, he didn't describe the symptoms. Although numb hands would indicate poor circulation, so in that case thicker cushion bar tape and/or padded/gel gloves might be the answer.
Old 10-09-18, 01:54 PM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Could be anything, he didn't describe the symptoms. Although numb hands would indicate poor circulation, so in that case thicker cushion bar tape and/or padded/gel gloves might be the answer.
He did describe the symptoms. He said his rotator cuffs have pain after long rides coupled with numbness in hands. Both of those symptoms are indicative of too much pressure on hands related to poor fit, assuming that his symptoms only occur after cycling (which sounds like the case).
Old 10-09-18, 02:06 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Brofessor
He did describe the symptoms. He said his rotator cuffs have pain after long rides coupled with numbness in hands. Both of those symptoms are indicative of too much pressure on hands related to poor fit, assuming that his symptoms only occur after cycling (which sounds like the case).
Pain? That description is grossly insufficient. Especially considering the complexity of the shoulder/rotator cuff.
Old 10-09-18, 02:24 PM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Pain? That description is grossly insufficient. Especially considering the complexity of the shoulder/rotator cuff.
The insufficiency of the description doesn't change the fact that it is a "symptom". I am not a physician, but I don't see anything complex about the rotator cuff itself. It looks like a single tendon among many others in the shoulder. Correct me if I am wrong there.
Old 10-09-18, 03:40 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If your reach is too short or too long, you will have less or more than ideal shoulder rotation, which will inevitably lead to added work for rotator cuffs. Your upper arms should roughly have a right degree angle with your torso.
This would be very nice (and most of my bikes are set up this way) but this sticks you WAY up into the wind and is like riding with the brakes on into the wind or at speed.
Old 10-10-18, 11:02 AM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclintom
This would be very nice (and most of my bikes are set up this way) but this sticks you WAY up into the wind and is like riding with the brakes on into the wind or at speed.
You can have a right degree angle between your upper arms and torso in a more aero position. If you have a longer stem, you can lean forward more and bend your elbows more to achieve the same angle. Like this guy:
Old 10-10-18, 12:24 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can have a right degree angle between your upper arms and torso in a more aero position. If you have a longer stem, you can lean forward more and bend your elbows more to achieve the same angle. Like this guy:
This is a racing position and it sucks to ride any distance like this for someone that is going to turn 74 in two weeks. What I am doing is reversing my stem so that it is flat as in your picture and then riding in my normal upright position but lower overall.
Old 10-10-18, 12:51 PM
Brofessor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a racing position and it sucks to ride any distance like this for someone that is going to turn 74 in two weeks. What I am doing is reversing my stem so that it is flat as in your picture and then riding in my normal upright position but lower overall.
That sounds like a happy medium between a racy position and a "riding against the wind" position.
Old 10-10-18, 01:03 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That sounds like a happy medium between a racy position and a "riding against the wind" position.
I'll let you know how It turns out. I just reversed the stem and it worries me a little but we'll see.

Last edited by cyclintom; 10-10-18 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 04:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Oddly enough, with a proper bike fit that 90° angle stays very close to the same throughout the various riding positions. Whatever your torso angle, do try to get that 90° angle through stem adjustment. Also, most people have their saddle further forward than makes sense, so there's that adjustment, too.
Old 10-10-18, 04:07 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I also have a torn cuff and at 73, who knows what else. I keep my shoulders pain-free on the bike by doing dumbbell work in the gym, especially in the fall. Works like a charm. I keep my starting weights at the level of discomfort, a good notch below pain.
Old 10-10-18, 05:19 PM
vtje

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, guys, I fiddled with my fit using BFF Elite app and turned saddle nose slightly upward, did a quick 30 miler last night and seems like there is much less weight on my arms, shoulder did not bother either.
Old 10-10-18, 05:51 PM
bleui

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vtje
Thanks, guys, I fiddled with my fit using BFF Elite app and turned saddle nose slightly upward, did a quick 30 miler last night and seems like there is much less weight on my arms, shoulder did not bother either.
is the saddle level (parallel to the earth) to begin with? because for me, angling the saddle up do make the hand/shoulder less fatigue but it puts pressure on the private part
Old 10-11-18, 07:44 AM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Oddly enough, with a proper bike fit that 90° angle stays very close to the same throughout the various riding positions. Whatever your torso angle, do try to get that 90° angle through stem adjustment. Also, most people have their saddle further forward than makes sense, so there's that adjustment, too.
Taking the bike out of the stand and down on the ground the change seems hardly noticeable.
Old 10-12-18, 06:10 AM
itchyjoe

Bikes: S Works Aethos/Spec Roubaix/S Works Tarmac

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had "shoulder impingement" last summer that got progressively worse thru the riding season. Got on a regular stretching and strengthening routine (Youtube) which wasn't helping. Supination, especially bicep curls, really hurt. Two months into the offseason I finally figured out the problem was in my neck upon discovering I couldn't put chin to shoulder on the affected side. Starting and staying on a good neck stretching routine has fixed the problem. No pain at all thru this season and supination with curls is equal on both sides--and I'm on the same bikes with no position changes. Extending our heads for long periods on road bikes is an abnormal position --unless you're a ceiling painter--so neck attention is important. When stretching your neck don't grind your head around in circles; rather use 6 dedicated directions: side-side, forward-backward, and lateral-lateral. And holding a bit of pressure at each position for extra stretch is OK if it doesn't hurt. Heat helps relax the muscles too, either a rolled up heating pad or rice sock. Hope this helps!
Old 10-12-18, 11:38 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by itchyjoe
I had "shoulder impingement" last summer that got progressively worse thru the riding season. Got on a regular stretching and strengthening routine (Youtube) which wasn't helping. Supination, especially bicep curls, really hurt. Two months into the offseason I finally figured out the problem was in my neck upon discovering I couldn't put chin to shoulder on the affected side. Starting and staying on a good neck stretching routine has fixed the problem. No pain at all thru this season and supination with curls is equal on both sides--and I'm on the same bikes with no position changes. Extending our heads for long periods on road bikes is an abnormal position --unless you're a ceiling painter--so neck attention is important. When stretching your neck don't grind your head around in circles; rather use 6 dedicated directions: side-side, forward-backward, and lateral-lateral. And holding a bit of pressure at each position for extra stretch is OK if it doesn't hurt. Heat helps relax the muscles too, either a rolled up heating pad or rice sock. Hope this helps!
Great advice Joe. Do you have a youtube video to reference for your neck stretching regiment? My neck has always been my achilles heel on the bike and has always kept me from riding more slammed.
Old 10-13-18, 05:00 AM
itchyjoe

Bikes: S Works Aethos/Spec Roubaix/S Works Tarmac

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like this one because she shows the six directions without grinding in a circle. For adding heat we made a "rice sock" using a tube sock filled with slow cooking rice. Put it in the microwave for a few minutes then lay it around your neck like a horseshoe. Great way to relax after a hard day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.