Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tires for Mavic UST rims?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 08:59 AM
City Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Hi all,
Been running Mavic Yksion Pro UST 25mm tires that came with the set of Mavic Ksyrium Elie UST wheels. The tires have been performing well, but I have been surprised by the relatively quick wear after about 1000 miles. So was hoping some Mavic UST wheel users can provide a recommendation for a tubeless tire that will fit on to the Mavic UST rims relatively easily.
I will say that the Mavic Yksion Pro tires were easy to install on the Mavic UST rims, and the tire beads easily seated onto the rim with a simple floor pump. I have read many posts about the problems some people experience with fitting tubeless tires and want to avoid those frustrations.
The Mavic USA website shows Yksion UST tires as being out-of-stock now for quite a while. I have read that Mavic is dealing with serious financial problems, and wonder if the company will be able to continue operations.

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-09-20, 09:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The lack of tire options is, unfortunately, the main reason that I've been hesitant to recommend the UST system to those just setting out on the tubeless journey. I don't keep track too closely (other than idle curiosity, I don't have a reason to), but I haven't seen any non-Mavic UST road tires out there. That said, if rumors are to be believed, some newer tires, like the Schwalble Pro 1 Addix TLE, are being manufactured to the not-yet-announced ETRTO tubeless standard, which is supposedly largely based on UST specs. There also the Hutchinson angle - Mavic doesn't make their own tires and Hutchinson is supposedly the manufacturer that makes Mavic's UST tires. Does this mean that Hutchinson's own tires are made to the same spec? Not at all, but it might be a lead worth investigating along with the ETRTO aspect.
Old 07-09-20, 10:16 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I'm surprised at the wear on your tires. I've been running the exact system on both my road bikes. I'd guess 1-1.5 k mi. on each set and they still have a lot of life in them. I wonder if it's because every night I drink a bourbon toast to the Gods of Cycling.

Last edited by bruce19; 07-10-20 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-09-20, 02:58 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I fit Schwalbe Pro One TL to Aksum UST without too much of a fuss.
Old 07-09-20, 07:00 PM
Drago1010

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc.Cannondale Synapse, Fuji Tread 1.0, Marin Larkspur

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I've been riding my original set of 28 mm Mavic Yksion Pros for 15 months and have 2000+ miles on them. Still have some life left on them. I will probably change them soon since I've had a few punctures on the rear tire - one of which required a plug. Mavic has replaced Yksion Pro's with Yiksion Pro II's which supposedly wear better. I did buy a 2 new Ykison Pro tires on ebay from a seller in Romania - got the pair for $65 + shipping (~$80 total).
Old 07-09-20, 08:25 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Curious about this myself. Suffered a cut on the sidewall of my Yksion Pro UST tire recently and I’m debating with myself whether it needs to be replaced. Not sure it will still work tubeless. Would have plenty of life left otherwise. Maybe 300 miles on it at this point. I think I can get more out of it with a tube though.

Either way, I’ll be looking to replace them at some point and will be curious as to what has been tried and tested.
Old 07-12-20, 06:27 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Originally Posted by fried bake
I fit Schwalbe Pro One TL to Aksum UST without too much of a fuss.
“Without too much fuss” sounds like there was some fuss. Care to elaborate? Backcountry/CC has these on sale for $35.
Old 07-12-20, 06:39 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vandalarchitect
“Without too much fuss” sounds like there was some fuss. Care to elaborate? Backcountry/CC has these on sale for $35.
I used one tire lever and tires seated the first time. (No soap or other extraordinary measures.) Inflated with a floor pump to 90 psi and both tires held air, no leaks. After an half hour, I deflated tires, installed Mavic supplied sealant through the valve core and inflated to working pressures (50/55). These are 30mm tires on 19 IRD wheels and I love them. They lose a few psi per day but nothing extraordinary. Had my first puncture the other day and it sealed with no drama.
Likes For fried bake:
Old 07-16-20, 10:19 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

I put the Schwalbe Pro One TL on my Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL UST wheel. It was tight. If it wasn’t for fried bake’s comment above that they would fit, I might have given up. Needed a lever but managed to mount them. Set the beads using a standard floor pump and no soapy water or the special lube Schwalbe says to use. It took too much pumping and I’ll use some water next time.

Initial impression was not as pliable as the Yksion Pro it’s replacing but 40 miles today and everything was fine. No complaints so far. Not sure I’ll be buying them again though. We’ll see how they hold up.

For comparison, I was able to mount the Yksion Pro UST tires with just my hands and easily set the beads with the floor pump.
Old 07-17-20, 06:23 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by vandalarchitect
I put the Schwalbe Pro One TL on my Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL UST wheel. It was tight. If it wasn’t for fried bake’s comment above that they would fit, I might have given up. Needed a lever but managed to mount them. Set the beads using a standard floor pump and no soapy water or the special lube Schwalbe says to use. It took too much pumping and I’ll use some water next time.

Initial impression was not as pliable as the Yksion Pro it’s replacing but 40 miles today and everything was fine. No complaints so far. Not sure I’ll be buying them again though. We’ll see how they hold up.

For comparison, I was able to mount the Yksion Pro UST tires with just my hands and easily set the beads with the floor pump.
That's the previous gen tire - the one with the Addix compound is the current gen and is supposedly made to ETRTO tubeless standards. CC/BC calls the new model the Pro 1 "Evolution," others differentiate with "Addix" or TLE. It's an unfortunate cluster**** of naming/differentiation. I've got about 1k miles on mine now, and they're very much better than the Hutchinson that they replaced (which is damn near identical to the Yksion Pro).
Old 07-17-20, 10:28 AM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's the previous gen tire - the one with the Addix compound is the current gen and is supposedly made to ETRTO tubeless standards. CC/BC calls the new model the Pro 1 "Evolution," others differentiate with "Addix" or TLE. It's an unfortunate cluster**** of naming/differentiation. I've got about 1k miles on mine now, and they're very much better than the Hutchinson that they replaced (which is damn near identical to the Yksion Pro).
You’re correct. It is the previous gen, and it is a naming CF. I knew what I was getting though when I purchased it. If the newer gen isn’t quite as tight of a fit, all the better.

As for the naming, ironic that CC/BC use the “evolution” terminology to indicate the newer tires. The ones I got from CC/BC have a big “evolution” on the side of the box even though they are the older tire. “Evolution” simply indicates the tire is in that line from schwalbe. They also have the “performance line” and “active line” ... SMH. “Addix” would be better all around until they come out with a newer version that also uses that same compound.
Old 07-17-20, 12:07 PM
City Guy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for sharing the information.

At some point in the future I might try the Schwalbe new version TLE Pro 1, but the unfortunate naming just adds more confusion.

In the interim I’m going back to tubes and standard clinchers on this bike.
Riding the new Bontrager R3 25 mm clinchers and impressed with these tires on the Mavic wheels,
a tight fit but installed using 1 tire iron.
My initial thoughts are road tubeless still needs more development and a real standardization.

Old 07-17-20, 04:40 PM
aaronwalker11

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
May be its due to covid, otherwise the operations should work normally
Old 07-17-20, 05:04 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I'm curious if anyone is running the Panaracer Race A Evo3 tubeless with the Mavic UST road wheels? If I could just get my DT Swiss R460 wheels to hold air, I would be really stoked about running these Panaracer Race A Evo3 tubeless tires. They seem to have a very grippy compound.
Old 07-17-20, 05:32 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by City Guy
My initial thoughts are road tubeless still needs more development and a real standardization.
With all due respect, you bought in to a "closed" system and now that decision is giving you troubles. You really don't have an informed opinion on the general state of road tubeless.

While I'm no bike mechanic, I've at least got a four years worth of experience and I've used several makes/models of tires mixed and matched among five different wheelsets. The only combinations that gave me trouble were those that happened early on; since they were considerably easier when revisited, I'm going to chalk those troubles up to being behind the learning curve.