Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 02:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4934 Post(s)
Liked 8,076 Times in 3,818 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I have a couple close friends that broke hips on GMR. Another guy I know crashed with a soft tire about 5 miles up while descending. I rode down got my vehicle then drove him home. He was out of it, broken ribs, fractured shoulder. He said he doesn't remember the ride home. Back in 2005 I used to bomb down the descent but too risky. Once had a forest ranger in my lane going the opposite direction cutting the turn almost take me out while I was heading back from the village. You never know what little thing can happen at speed. So I don't ride my brakes much but I don't push nowadays. I just want to get home in one piece.
My primary directive these days - Enjoy the ride...and keep it rubber-side down.
Old 01-15-21, 07:22 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Hit Santiago Cyn Road this morning. Left my house in the dark & enjoyed a nice sunrise peeking over Saddleback. Started to get a bit blustery heading up the hill from Jamboree but I was mentally committed so I put my head down & kept on (no brains no headaches right?). Seriously though the wind was more of a nuisance than a hazard. I never felt unsafe in the crosswinds. Only crossed 4 cyclists heading NW. The pavement from end-to-end is pristine. There is still roadwork on the southern end around Ridgeline for @ a 1/4 mile or so. Crews are manning each end to allow one-way traffic. Minor delay for me and riding through the construction area I had new road to myself just inside the cones. Coasted down the Aliso Creek Trail to Portola then made my way back to the SART & home. Nice & sunny felt like early October rather than January! little over 74 miles total.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 01-15-21, 07:57 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Figured a beach ride was due since it was a clear summer day in the mid 80s. Did my usual trek over Turnbull, SGRT South to PCH South to SART North.
Noticed the south side of PCH now has rumble strips for few miles starting at Seal Beach Blvd. Passed thru HB around noon and all the parking lots and street parking were full. Enjoyed the cool coastal breeze and all was well until about five miles inland.

The Santa Anas had different plans for me. For the next 13 miles until I exited at Tustin, the heat was on and punishing. I dropped from 20 mph to 14 mph. Stopped at Edna Park to refill my water bottles and was hit with strong gusts at mile markers 14 to 17 before crying uncle and getting off the SART.

80 miles and 3100 ft of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35025446
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-16-21, 03:18 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Which is your preferred way for Turnbull? Ascending from the Whittier side or the H. Heights side?

Thinking of adding that stretch to the rotation and can access it either way easily.
Old 01-16-21, 04:01 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

The Whittier side is about 2 miles with a little less pitch. The Hgts side is 1.6 miles with more punch but slightly less elevation gain.
For views, I like descending on the Hgts side. For fun and curves, descending the Whittier side is preferred.

Ascending, I prefer the Whittier side when legs are tired, otherwise, I enjoy them both.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-16-21, 08:16 PM
TGT1

Thanks

I've descended the Hacienda side from the top once and really liked it.

Popped out at the road head from the ridge trail a couple of years ago after a traverse of the range. There was a gaggle of MT bikers that told me I was on the wrong kind of bike.

"Got me here didn't it?

I'm 70 so my legs are always "tired"

I'll try it from the Whittier side.
Likes For TGT1:
Old 01-16-21, 09:30 PM
btppberk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
comparable. kitchen creek once into the pines for the last two miles or so...a 3-4.5. before that? a 6-7 on the closed part if you can avoid the scat.
lower down, it's an 8. scenery-south to north-was better than kitchen creek. solitude was about the same tho since kitchen creek is closed
for about a 1/3 of the ride and this was twice as long. if you liked kitchen creek, you'll like south main divide road.
bring your water and a snack bar/equivalent. did it with just a 12oz bottle of water in the back pocket and without eating
beforehand (9pm the night before) and it wasn't easy. refilled disposable water bottle at the 74/ca firefighter memorial,
crushed it and ditched it. definite boonies without support and the descent into the drainage is one of those "wtf am i getting myself into?" if you crave those kinda rides (as i do sometimes), recommended.

once you turn right at the initial part (at the tenaya/via volcano i-section), it gets downright bucolic. a less than half-mile stretch with an ascent that is signed "not recommended for bicycles or equestrians," but the route is safer than many socal mtn roads so it seems
like a nimby sign to discourage cyclists. the southern terminus/start of the south main divide road (clearly signed as "cleveland forest road" is in a hidden valley with mostly flat riding. really nice. can't wait to hit it again when the greenery sprouts up here in a month or two.

if my fave two mtn roads in socal-gmr+grr and east camino cielo (above santa barbara) are 10's for scenery, i'd give this a 7.
kitchen creek is a 5. east palomar...score it an 7.5/8. south palomar is a 6.5.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great route, despite the NIMBY sign. I just don't get some people's thing against cyclist. Yesterday on East Palomar, maybe 4 cars passed me on the way up. 1 of them gave us a honking punishment pass on a wide open stretch apparently just for the hell of it.

Interesting seeing your scenery rankings. I think I'd put Kitchen Creek up at least with East Palomar: I like how it moves through lots of different environments, from its almost desert beginning, to the narrow valley before the road closes, to the ridge top views both ways. In any event, I can't wait to try your gmr+grr and east camino cielo.

Speaking of greenery, I read the flowers in the spring (Marchish) after a fire in the chaparral are supposed to be spectacular, though maybe not enough rain this year.
Old 01-16-21, 10:52 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by btppberk
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great route, despite the NIMBY sign. I just don't get some people's thing against cyclist. Yesterday on East Palomar, maybe 4 cars passed me on the way up. 1 of them gave us a honking punishment pass on a wide open stretch apparently just for the hell of it.

Interesting seeing your scenery rankings. I think I'd put Kitchen Creek up at least with East Palomar: I like how it moves through lots of different environments, from its almost desert beginning, to the narrow valley before the road closes, to the ridge top views both ways. In any event, I can't wait to try your gmr+grr and east camino cielo.

Speaking of greenery, I read the flowers in the spring (Marchish) after a fire in the chaparral are supposed to be spectacular, though maybe not enough rain this year.
sorry about the punishment honk on east pal. i've been lucky i guess. usually see maybe a total of <10 cars/motorcycles both sides
of the road in 11 miles.

kitchen creek isn't my fave. i'd rather take pine creek rd (steeper between pine valley and north of mt. laguna store) for scenery. not every climb
works for everybody. kitchen creek does have a lot of solitude and is a must do for any san diego co/socal cyclist. there's just climbs i like better.
east pal has better views and the descent is awesome. the descent on kitchen creek...not so much.

and yah...you need to get your assets up to gmr/grr and east camino cielo. we all do.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-16-21 at 10:58 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-16-21, 11:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4934 Post(s)
Liked 8,076 Times in 3,818 Posts
UCantTouchThis I did it. For the first time in nearly 20 years, I did the Hwy 39-East Fork-GMR loop. It pushed my current level of fitness to the absolute limit, way past my comfort level. The GMR descent was every bit as awesome as I remembered it. Despite not pushing nearly as hard as I did when I was young and indestructible, I haven't forgotten good cornering technique, and blowing by a few riders made this old guy smile. It made me (almost) forget about all the riders who I couldn't stay with on the uphill part of the ride. Bonus: GMR is closed to car traffic from East Fork to Glendora.

Top of GMR on a warm winter day in So Cal...

Rolling across East Fork Rd on the way to the toughest part of the loop...

Last edited by Eric F; 01-16-21 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-17-21, 07:25 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

a quick descent down texas street into mission valley to hit a taco shop for lunch, then westward to the old town
train station. train up to oceanside and then a ride along the coast back to the haus. about 52 miles all told.
really nice day in the low 70's. no fog or clouds on the coast.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-17-21, 07:34 PM
CAT7RDR

Did a loop from home connecting Turnbull/SGRT/Sierra Madre/Baseline/Wheeler+Esperanza/SanDimas Ave/Badillo/Grand/PathfinderRd.
Clear, great views of the SGV and 80's with a pitstop at San Dimas Regional Park for the shade and cold water.
Will try to extend to Mountain Ave-Shinn next time. Should put me close to a century.

74 miles and 5K of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35038115
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-19-21, 12:19 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
No wind at 7:00 a.m. Hoping to get in some miles, I took off around 8 with very light breezes. Two blocks from my house I got blasted by a crosswind that nearly pushed me over. Wind increased exponentially for the next mile and I bagged it. Gusts over 20 and the windows are rattling.

When it drops off, I get to thinking I could have stayed out and then a minute later, wind just explodes. Oh well.
Old 01-19-21, 06:52 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

took the 6:02am amtrak from old town san diego up to d-town santa ana. got off just before 8am and started making my way back
via east 4th st > irvine blvd > trabuco rd > marguerite pkwy. relatively low traffic and road quality solid. dropped down
into the sjc mission area then caught the bike path that shoots you right out to doheny state beach. straightforward
coastal run southwards from there. no issues with camp pendleton access today (with base pass, of course). wind
muted in oc but once onto the base just inside the las flores gate, it started to come and go. by the time i got to carlsbad,
it was more ubiquitous than phil collins in the 80's-and hairier. didn't really let up until just past ucsd. seemed to be intermittent
little rain showers here and there but luckily sidestepped them all for once. decent amount of cyclists out given how breezy it was.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4649365225
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-20-21, 08:13 AM
CAT7RDR

^^^^^Ooga, I have to chuckle. Spent part of yesterday cleaning up roof material from my next door neighbor's roof from 40+ mph wind gusts.
Hope you had some strong tail winds part of the way.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-20-21, 10:13 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
^^^^^Ooga, I have to chuckle. Spent part of yesterday cleaning up roof material from my next door neighbor's roof from 40+ mph wind gusts.
Hope you had some strong tail winds part of the way.
no such luck but i knew what i was getting into
based on the forecasts. figured if it got too bad, could just hop on the train back to the start.
Old 01-20-21, 07:29 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

25-miler in north county san diego along the 15 fwy corridor. still monster winds out and about coming from the southeast so had to find
an area/route that kinda minimized the headwinds. parked at the i-section of gopher canyon rd/old hwy 395 (just east of the 15 fwy exit)
and headed up old castle rd for 5.5 miles. 2 miles of it a decent uphill with the headwinds but there's a decent shoulder for much of it.
hung a left on lilac rd and enjoyed the mostly tailwind for a few miles to a lavender farm and deli at a scenic, woodsy area. backtracked
and hung a right on west lilac rd, took it across the 15 fwy on the high bridge and descended into bonsall. hung a left onto camino del rey
and took that back to old hwy 395/15 fwy corridor and the start. some sun, some clouds, no rain. the stretch of lilac rd > west lilac rd between
the old castle rd junction to the south and the camino del rey to the northwest is one of my fave stretches in all of socal. nearly 12 miles of
low traffic, rural, quiet and with some fun stretches. best done south > northwest but the other way has its charms as well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4653955668
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-22-21, 03:09 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Felt like a nice meandering "trails" ride today so I headed out just before first light. Was greeted by picturesque cloud formations scattered over a sailor-take-warning red sunrise. Rode the following trails (or bike paths if you will):
Anaheim Coves
SART
Peters Canyon
Walnut
Freeway
University
San Diego Creek

Wind forecast was spot on & I enjoyed a nice tailwind from Costa Mesa up to Anaheim. Temp only increased maybe 5 or 6 degrees during the course of my ride but it wasn't too cold starting out.
Managed to meander 61 miles.
Looks like rain tomorrow.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 01-22-21, 05:36 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

yday...a 50-spot in the anza-borrego desert state park area.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4659785927
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-22-21, 07:51 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I did Tour of Borrego and Borrego to Salton Sea and back in 2005'ish. Beautiful area in Feb.
definitely. a little tough to enjoy from tax day to early november tho.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-24-21, 06:19 PM
CAT7RDR

Late start today 1000 so the streets could dry after rain overnight. Decided to head out to Diamond Bar and Pantera Park but first challenged myself to get to the top of Vantage Pointe. Not as bad as I feared and found it worth it for the views. Not that many riders out on a cool day in the 50's. Next head over to Pantera Park and climbed Gold Rush a punchy climb to the park that tops out at 20%.

Had a blast and pushed a little. 47 miles and 5500 ft of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35075693

Pics at the top of the road leading to the former Nike Missile Battery and facing West towards Schabarum Park.

Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-24-21, 10:42 PM
TGT1

From where you stopped on Skyline, you can continue up Skyline trail and end up at Hacienda at the stoplight at the crest. Hit the crosswalk button so the light turns red and bomb down Hacienda.

Mostly decent fire road, but with a few sections where gravel tires would be a good idea.
Old 01-24-21, 11:01 PM
CAT7RDR

Probably save that for the 29'er with nobbies since the Kestrel really would not handle the bumps well on 28mm's.

I have been avoiding Punta Del Este but that is another climb with ramps 20% + that connects to the Skyline Trail.
Old 01-25-21, 08:18 AM
TGT1

Came down from Skyline once that way. That will avoid the worst section of Skyline and would be doable on 28's
Old 01-25-21, 02:49 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Which part of Skyline is doable on 28s?
Old 01-25-21, 05:18 PM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Santa Monica Mountains in Malibu
Up Latigo, Down Decker, Up Mulholland, Down Latigo
56 mi
7,400 ft climb

Kate Courtney (2019 World UCI Mtn Bike Champ) gave me a shoutout as we passed by each other.
I was wearing my Stanford kit (she's an alum, too). That was pretty cool! and I'm a total fanboy

Got a PR on the Latigo climb. Been able to drop my time by 10% since October, so I'm happy about that
Likes For stuff shredman:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.