Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrade from Raleigh Companion?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 07-02-21, 12:08 PM
philly00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! Looking to upgrade from our Companion. Concerned most with durability and better components. We ride mostly on bike trails (few hills) but ride often. Looked at KHS at Tandems East but have seen mixed reviews on this site about that brand. Any suggestion for a step up that'll keep us around $2K?
Old 07-02-21, 04:39 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
1. Does your next bike need to be new, or is used ok?
2. Is your team an average adult male height in the front and slightly shorter stoker, or is there something that makes bike fit a bit more difficult?
Old 07-03-21, 04:40 AM
philly00

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
1. Does your next bike need to be new, or is used ok?
2. Is your team an average adult male height in the front and slightly shorter stoker, or is there something that makes bike fit a bit more difficult?
Thanks for replying! We prefer new, but suggestions for good used brands are welcome. As for height, I'm 6' and my wife is 5'5"
Old 07-04-21, 09:33 PM
act0fgod

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by philly00
Thanks for replying! We prefer new, but suggestions for good used brands are welcome. As for height, I'm 6' and my wife is 5'5"
Under $2k I'd recommend going used. It appears Cannondales range from $500-$2k. I've seen comotions and santana's under $2k.

If you aren't in a rush there are some good deals to be had.

Right now down near Los Angeles there is a Calfee for under $3k.
Calfee Tandem Tetra - bicycles - by owner - bike sale (craigslist.org)
Old 07-06-21, 12:55 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
The post above mine sums it up nicely. I've found searching Craigslist, and checking the tandemclassifieds page to be a good way to get a feel for the used market. $2k used will buy you quite a few bikes made in the last 20 years. $2k new is substantially more restrictive. If the budget is firm then I'd aim closer to $1600, and leave the last $400 for any needed adjustments or repairs. For example, I recently bought a used tandem for $1500. I spent around $180 getting it shipped to me (insured), $77 on two new tires, $15 on 2 new tubes (much different tire size, plus a spare), and $60 for 3 chains. I also swapped in around $50 in parts from my parts shelf.

It looks like you aren't an unusual height. I'm 6' tall if I wear thick enough socks and my primary stoker/wife is 5'4". Our tandem riding is minor compared to most around here, I'd guess around 500 miles/year, but for the type and frequency we ride I've found that close is well close enough to keep us happy and comfortable. If you were say a 5' captain and a 6' stoker it would be much more difficult.

When you say bike trails, I'm assuming you mean paved, but if those are gravel that requires a bit more attention. Many tandems clear wider tires without issue, but not all.
Most tandems I see used are road drop bars in the front, and sometimes the stoker. It looks like your current one may be set up for flat bars. Do you have a preference?
What are your goals for your upgrade? Do you have reliability issues, weight concerns, general "this seems like a cheap bike" concerns, don't like the way the current one handles, etc?