Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Severe Heat and Fatigue

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Severe Heat and Fatigue

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-21, 10:06 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I belonged to the Reno Wheelmen in the early 1970's and we would ride from Reno to Virginia City then up to Tahoe. Go through Incline Village then up over Mr. Rose and back to Reno. Lots of hard mountain miles. You are tough and yes I don't doubt you were still tired the next day after what you just rode.
great, now i feel challenged. Geiger grade from reno to virginia city is one of my favorite hills to climb (and the descent is pretty awsome). the road is in such good condition. when you left VC did you head down Six Mile Canyon to 50 or down the Ophir grade to 50?

now i just need to find the time to do this. it sounds like a century and based on that ride last week i am pretty sure i can do it.

-scott
Likes For spelger:
Old 07-12-21, 10:22 PM
jayp410

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Just bought some Nuun's upon discovering that they no longer contain sorbitol. Let's just say that sorbitol is evil and is banned in my household for its after-effects.
Old 07-12-21, 11:04 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Had my longest ride of the year on Monday (7/5). I really wanted 62 miles/100K but when I got back to my car I was at 59 miles. My previous longest was 50 miles a few times this year. I wanted to turn a few laps of campus to get to 62 but I was absolutely spent. By the time I was finished it got up to 94 degrees and I spent the last 15 miles riding into a strong quartering wind.

I ate some snacks at 2 different points.... a bit more than on my 50 milers and consumed 5 large water bottles of plain water. I was expecting the fatigue but was surprised at how badly the heat affected me. Whenever I stopped for even a few seconds (to fill up my water bottles at the trail side water fountains) I was immediately drenched in sweat. I was also covered in gritty salt from all the sweating !! I mention that the heat affected me badly because I was feeling it for several hours after my ride finished. I had off and on headaches as I rode but again...nothing serious and they went away and didn't return after the first 30 miles or so. I also became very hungry in the last 10 miles or so of the ride.

Later I had trouble sleeping because my heart rate was quite elevated even 6 hours post ride. I could feel the heat radiating off me. I had a mild sunburn on my back but have had way worse. The trail is kind of shaded so I was out of the worst of the sun. I continued to hydrate after I finished my ride and was probably in the gallon range by the time I went to bed.

Not sure if it was the heat or the distance or what. I would like to push a little farther and feel like from a fitness standpoint I can do it . I think I need some tips on making sure I don't overheat.

Near the end I always have some pretty big problems with my neck and left knee due to some serious injuries mentioned in earlier threads. A head wind always makes it worse although that may be in my head. That's just pain I can deal with since a team of neuro and ortho surgeons say I wont hurt myself unless I have a serious get off or face plant in a wreck.
Ady
Any tips on beating the heat would be appreciated !!
​​​​​​My friend you are lucky to as healthy as you sound. You were terribly underprepaird and didn't bring any essentials. When you felt bad, stop and rest. Stay nourished as well as hydrated. In that kind of heat, battling a wind, I'm not sure I could drink enough water to stay ahead of my losses. So, I'd suggest using a rack to carry enough stuff so you don't force your body to do things it can't do. If you feel thirsty it's already to late so stop and let your body catch up. Any trip can be a nightmare or a good experience depending on how prepared you are. I know I sound awful preachy but I was concerned for you as I heard your story unfold. Protection from the sun is easy and constant hydration is available with varies water bladder systems. Your goals are admirable though. Hang with it.
Old 07-13-21, 10:29 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
If you feel thirsty it's already to late
You didnt read much of the thread before posting...

It would be a good idea to do so now.
Old 07-13-21, 03:56 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
You didnt read much of the thread before posting...

It would be a good idea to do so now.
I responded to the op's original question. I didn't know that reading every post was a prerequisite for responding.