Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 02-07-22, 09:08 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
is there a little sector or big area roadie-wise that you like? more familiar with thrashing about in the whittier hills/la habra hills to the west
and the anaheim hills to the south but willing to get pummeled about and nearby elsewhere. it can be ugly and ridiculous. it can be short and sweet.
it can be baby bear don't care just right...or any mix thereof.
A couple of the local favorites are the south entrance to Chino Hills State Park, Chino Hills Parkway north of Grand Ave and Carbon Canyon. Most of the areas I'm about to share are inside neighborhoods and residential areas.

Bane Canyon Rd is south entrance to Chino Hills State Park is off of Elinvar and Sapphire. You can ride from the entrance to the horse camp and back, however I'd be careful since you get a lot of foot traffic. This has a few pitches over 10% grade; you can explore this residential area as well. The surrounding neighborhoods have some nice short punchy climbs.

A well known climb is heading north on Chino Hills Parkway starting from Grand Ave towards Diamond Bar/Phillips Ranch. However descend down the back then hang a right onto Scenic Ridge Route and you'll get a 14% climb there. This leads into a wealthy neighborhood that you can ride and explore a bit.. An alternative is to turn right on Chino Ave and another turn right on La Sierra. This is a short punchy climb at 12% to a water tower. You can always loop around and reverse these routes.

I think you were familiar with Carbon Canyon Rd. already. However I found this spot from a local Rapha Club ride. If you're headed east to west in Carbon Canyon, take a left onto Old Carbon Canyon Rd then a right on Pinnacle Rd. This is another nice steep climb and circumvents the hairpins in the area. You'll descend through a neighborhood and make a left to go back to Carbon Canyon.
Likes For oris:
Old 02-07-22, 09:47 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by oris
A couple of the local favorites are the south entrance to Chino Hills State Park, Chino Hills Parkway north of Grand Ave and Carbon Canyon. Most of the areas I'm about to share are inside neighborhoods and residential areas.

Bane Canyon Rd is south entrance to Chino Hills State Park is off of Elinvar and Sapphire. You can ride from the entrance to the horse camp and back, however I'd be careful since you get a lot of foot traffic. This has a few pitches over 10% grade; you can explore this residential area as well. The surrounding neighborhoods have some nice short punchy climbs.

A well known climb is heading north on Chino Hills Parkway starting from Grand Ave towards Diamond Bar/Phillips Ranch. However descend down the back then hang a right onto Scenic Ridge Route and you'll get a 14% climb there. This leads into a wealthy neighborhood that you can ride and explore a bit.. An alternative is to turn right on Chino Ave and another turn right on La Sierra. This is a short punchy climb at 12% to a water tower. You can always loop around and reverse these routes.

I think you were familiar with Carbon Canyon Rd. already. However I found this spot from a local Rapha Club ride. If you're headed east to west in Carbon Canyon, take a left onto Old Carbon Canyon Rd then a right on Pinnacle Rd. This is another nice steep climb and circumvents the hairpins in the area. You'll descend through a neighborhood and make a left to go back to Carbon Canyon.
I can also recommend that area.

My favorite 700 foot climb starts at Chino Hill Parkway/Eucalyptus Ave west up to Tonner Canyon. A few parks along the way. Treelined, not much traffic on the weekend and wide roads. You can make a loop out of it by making a right at the top Rancho Hills Drive for about 5 miles and 750 feet of climb. Reverse the loop and you will encounter some 20% ramps going up Rancho Hills Drive.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38513140

Note: Canon Drive is a private gated community so you cannot link back to Carbon Canyon Rd and will have to descend back to Chino Hills Parkway.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-07-22, 11:11 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
chevy chase is fun in either direction.
I actually didn't care for the east bound descent on Chevy Chase Canyon. I'd much rather descend west towards Harvey with the steeper decline and Linda Vista is also a fun descend, though short. I think next time I ride the area, I'm going to explore Flint Canyon trail and maybe head over to Cherry Canyon from the east side as opposed to the Glendale Sports Complex side.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 02-07-22, 10:39 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
54 miles around metro san diego + national city, imperial beach and silver strand/coronado. 15% humidity. woof!
Likes For diphthong:
Old 02-07-22, 10:41 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

oris CAT7RDR thanks for the reccs. hope to be back up there sooner rather than later! already had circumventing the fence on old carbon canyon to do the climb as a must do.
adjacent pinnacle rd was also observed on the last ride in the area. wanted to do some of the side roads off of carbon canyon but didn't have the time last visit.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-07-22 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-07-22, 11:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
No Climbing Today

Back of right knee slightly sore after Friday's ride and a bit short on time today, so just a ride down to and around the Newport Back Bay loop.

Weather was hot, windy, and dry, so the shaded portions of the Back Bay loop are no longer damp.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 02-08-22 at 11:10 AM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-08-22, 08:16 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
I think you were familiar with Carbon Canyon Rd. already. However I found this spot from a local Rapha Club ride. If you're headed east to west in Carbon Canyon, take a left onto Old Carbon Canyon Rd then a right on Pinnacle Rd. This is another nice steep climb and circumvents the hairpins in the area. You'll descend through a neighborhood and make a left to go back to Carbon Canyon.[/QUOTE]

Yep I've ridden that little stretch of road came W-E on CC road then turned right onto Old CC Road to loop around. It's an attention-getter alright!
BTW the switchbacks are much nicer since the re-pave.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 02-08-22, 07:07 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by 2seven0
Yep I've ridden that little stretch of road came W-E on CC road then turned right onto Old CC Road to loop around. It's an attention-getter alright!
BTW the switchbacks are much nicer since the re-pave.
West[/QUOTE]

thanks. and yes, the switchbacks are sweeeet right now.
Old 02-08-22, 07:11 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

39-mile loop rumbling through de luz, temecula, rainbow and fallbrook. legs were dogmeat but once you're committed...
low traffic, upper 70's. didn't see any cyclists (no surprise) in de luz but quite a few elsewhere.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6653018799/overview
Likes For diphthong:
Old 02-08-22, 07:34 PM
2seven0

Nice Little Climbs

A few roads I rode last weekend in the YL hills:
Starting at east end of La Palma turn up Cam de Bryant to Paseo de Toronto. Then right on Via Lomas de Yorba E (it curves around and becomes V L d Y West) and ends back down on La Palma. Headed west up Y L Blvd then turned up San Antonio to the top of the hill where Fairmont Blvd. tees in. Took Fairmont down to Bastanchury then headed west for a few more detours.
Lots of different roads to meander up & down in that area and little traffic on weekends. Didn't see a single cyclist in the hills (I rarely do save a few times on Bastanchury or Y L Blvd).
Only drawback the corridor gets pretty blustery during Santa Ana winds.
If your riding in the area and pass a lonely little climber looking dude puffing away on a celeste Bianchi say "hi"
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 02-09-22, 03:54 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

My lungs and legs are getting back to normal. Took advantage of the warn sunshine and strolled the local Hacienda Hgts-Whittier Hills for 25 miles and 4600 feet of climb. I think Garmin is generous. Likely closer to 3800 feet of climb. Love riding the heavy 29er for the comfortable stance and Deore brakes.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/8268209802
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-09-22, 07:13 PM
2seven0

Generous Garmin

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
My lungs and legs are getting back to normal. Took advantage of the warn sunshine and strolled the local Hacienda Hgts-Whittier Hills for 25 miles and 4600 feet of climb. I think Garmin is generous. Likely closer to 3800 feet of climb. Love riding the heavy 29er for the comfortable stance and Deore brakes.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/8268209802
So you're not the only one eh! I notice that when I scroll through ride info on my unit when I get home the total elevation gain is always more than the ride data shown on my computer when I synch it to the program. You'd think that with the satellite technology it should be more consistent.
Warm weather thru Sunday not supposed to be quite so windy as well.
West
Old 02-09-22, 07:26 PM
CAT7RDR

Originally Posted by 2seven0
So you're not the only one eh! I notice that when I scroll through ride info on my unit when I get home the total elevation gain is always more than the ride data shown on my computer when I synch it to the program. You'd think that with the satellite technology it should be more consistent.
Warm weather thru Sunday not supposed to be quite so windy as well.
West
I don't mind the extra-credit but if I am on an organized hilly ride, it could throw any pacing off a bit.
The Garmin elevation correction is either right, or when I map it on ridewithgps is correct and always less.
I use a Vivoactive watch and 3rd party software so there's that too.

Maybe Strava is on the horizon and gasp, I would use my smart phone?
Old 02-10-22, 10:53 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 440 Posts
My buddy and I did 22 miles of flat sprints and uphill climbing over at Griffith Park and the LA River on Wednesday. We then hit up Spokes Cafe on the bike path for some coffee. We also checked to see if the new Taylor Yard bridge connecting NELA and Frog Town/Silver Lake was ready, but it's still closed off until whatever special part they're waiting on arrives!

Sadly I've been hearing some crazy stuff in the area like a car driving on the LA River bike path and almost hitting cyclists from last week. Also there's plans to add bike lanes onto Riverside Drive from Fletcher to Los Feliz. As usual there's major groaning from the anti-bike league of LA residents for trying to make safer streets!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 02-10-22 at 07:31 PM.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 02-11-22, 04:12 PM
2seven0

Starting to sound like a broken record but it was another beautiful morning on Santiago Cyn Road. Watched Apollo tow the sun over Saddleback. Weather was just about perfect save a slight cross/headwind which wasn't bad at all considering the recent winds. Hillsides are beautiful shades of emerald. Wound down Los Alisos over to Lake Forest over the 405. Short jog up Bake to the new trail connecting to the east end of the San Diego Creek Trail. Quick stop at Bill Barber park then up the Peters Canyon Trail off at Moffet past the blimp hangars over to Main/Sunflower to the SART back home. 75.2 miles. Not a cloud in sight & didn't get too hot either.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 02-13-22, 03:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Heat Wave in February!?

25 mile ride around my neighborhood. Slightly over-exerted myself to overtake another cyclist on the Portola Parkway climb, and felt a bit dizzy and overheated neat the top. Cooled off and recovered during the descent down Whispering Hills and Portola Springs, and was able to finish the ride in decent shape.

I am so not prepared for this heat wave.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-13-22, 04:21 PM
CAT7RDR

Started from home and enjoyed 40 miles and 4900 feet/climb in the Whittier Hills.
Checked out the Rideout subdivision of Whittier Hills for the views of Sycamore Canyon.
Many cyclists and MTB riders took advantage of the sunny, warm breezy day.
Starting to get my conditioning back and eyeing a gran fondo for Fall.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38557904

Sycamore Canyon from Rideout.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-14-22, 12:57 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
25 mile ride around my neighborhood. Slightly over-exerted myself to overtake another cyclist on the Portola Parkway climb, and felt a bit dizzy and overheated neat the top. Cooled off and recovered during the descent down Whispering Hills and Portola Springs, and was able to finish the ride in decent shape.

I am so not prepared for this heat wave.
nicely done. there is a very fine line between pushing through it and complete systems failure. you did the right thing.

bring it.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-14-22 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-15-22, 12:30 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Started from home and enjoyed 40 miles and 4900 feet/climb in the Whittier Hills.
Checked out the Rideout subdivision of Whittier Hills for the views of Sycamore Canyon.
Many cyclists and MTB riders took advantage of the sunny, warm breezy day.
Starting to get my conditioning back and eyeing a gran fondo for Fall.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38557904

Sycamore Canyon from Rideout.
Have you explored the various side streets off Turnbull Canyon? You could spend a good amount of time doing hill repeats.
Old 02-15-22, 01:46 PM
CAT7RDR

Have you explored the various side streets off Turnbull Canyon? You could spend a good amount of time doing hill repeats.
Yes, I have ridden Edgeridge a few times but have not tried Descending just yet.
Nice tree canopy on Edgeridge to keep things a bit cooler. Only issue I encountered is the road is a bit narrow and the delivery trucks do not slow down much!
Old 02-15-22, 02:29 PM
oris
I like speed

Yes, I have ridden Edgeridge a few times but have not tried Descending just yet.
Nice tree canopy on Edgeridge to keep things a bit cooler. Only issue I encountered is the road is a bit narrow and the delivery trucks do not slow down much!
Ah ok! Edgeridge is nice, you should explore Aethel and Descending, in that order. Aethel has a nice 17% grade in the middle.

My riding buddies live off Workman Mill and tell me, in order of steepness/difficulty, is Edgeridge, Aethel and Descending.

Last edited by oris; 02-15-22 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Likes For oris:
Old 02-15-22, 02:57 PM
CAT7RDR

^^^^^ Punta del Este off of Colima Rd in Hacienda Heights also tops out at 24% near the top and leads onto the Skyline Trail for those inclined to continue on dirt.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-16-22, 01:32 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Ah ok! Edgeridge is nice, you should explore Aethel and Descending, in that order. Aethel has a nice 17% grade in the middle.

My riding buddies live off Workman Mill and tell me, in order of steepness/difficulty, is Edgeridge, Aethel and Descending.
aethel i dunno but have hit descending and edgeridge and both have plenty of shade and pain on the ascending-esp descending.
Old 02-16-22, 01:35 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^^^^^ Punta del Este off of Colima Rd in Hacienda Heights also tops out at 24% near the top and leads onto the Skyline Trail for those inclined to continue on dirt.
yah...it was steep enough looking down it from the skyline/schbarum trail interface that i decided to stay/descend on the dirt vs on the paved punta del este. on a road bike. on '23's.
Old 02-17-22, 06:08 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

local 15-spot taking in some of the back roads and hilly streets of lemon grove and la mesa. really nice day in the low-70's.
Likes For diphthong:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.