Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1985 Bianchi Vittoria

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1985 Bianchi Vittoria

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 11:01 PM
Fairlane63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 37 Posts
1985 Bianchi Vittoria

Well I recently picked this up from my local CL. It looked so original and in great condition so I had to buy it. All original sans grease tape and cables.

Not a lot of information about this model but what I gleaned from this and a few other sites is maybe this was third down from the top of the line for 85?

It rides incredibly smooth quiet and fast. Could not be happier as I wanted to get my feet wet in a vintage steel road bike. Alwaus wanted a Bianchi in Celeste but this blue really speaks to me too. Blue is my favorite color after all.

My older brother always had great Italian road bikes with the exception of a chrome Paramount when I was a kid and could not afford one. Well this spoke to me and when I ride it I think of my late brother. Good feeling.

This is a minute and a half ride from my office. Some great trails and streets to ride at lunchtime.

Seems to be a one year tube type in 85?

Full Campy Victory components.
Likes For Fairlane63:
Old 04-24-22, 11:41 PM
JSL

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Very nice :-) I always thought the victory crankset was underrated and looks absolutely perfect on your bike.
Old 04-25-22, 12:58 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
gorgeous
Old 04-25-22, 01:51 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Beautiful. That is a fabulous looking Bianchi, I wonder if it was ever ridden. Yes despite all the money and time spent on research and development of this fabulous tubing Bianchi transitioned to their Formula tubing in ‘86.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 04-25-22, 06:46 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Beautiful. That is a fabulous looking Bianchi, I wonder if it was ever ridden. Yes despite all the money and time spent on research and development of this fabulous tubing Bianchi transitioned to their Formula tubing in ‘86...
In my opinion, the 1985 Bianchi Special tubing was a marketing faux pas. Bianchi offered 14 road models in 1985 and exactly 1/2 of those were spec'd with the Bianchi Special tubeset. It's common practice to use the same tubeset on multiple models but it's typically only two or three models. Using the same tubeset on seven models, is excessive. I doubt owners of the 2nd from the top Mondiale appreciated riders on a 9th position Limted coming up to them and saying ," Yeah, well your Mondiale may be a $1,000.00 more expensive but my Limited uses the exact same tubeset and only weighs 1 lb more!" A friend of mine who had a Bianchi dealership at the time, told me that it was very hard to upsell a consumer to a higher model, when so many models used the same tubeset.

From a marketing perspective, it was wiser to sub-divide this large model range with several distinctive tubesets, to provide more individuality for the models. Consequently, 1986 saw this model range split into Columbus SL/SP, Formula One and Formula Two. I believe the marketing and sales disadvantage was the reason why the Bianchi Special tubeset only lasted a single year and that one of the Formula tubesets was simply a renaming of Bianchi Special.
Old 04-25-22, 07:18 AM
JRD

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts
WOW...That is a nice find! Congratulations!
Old 04-25-22, 07:24 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,774 Posts
That bike is in amazing condition! Beautiful.
Old 04-25-22, 07:48 AM
hbsyncro

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Super clean. Gotta love the white hoods!
Old 04-25-22, 07:51 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Get your feet wet? I'd say you jumped right into the deep blue end of the pool! Congrats on a great find, that looks like a rider for sure. Maybe your brother had a hand in that discovery...
Likes For poprad:
Old 04-25-22, 09:16 AM
Fairlane63

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 37 Posts
Thanks for all the information and kind words. Bianchigirll that is an amazing reference and a picture of the same color bike!
T-Mar I wondered after doing some limited research why they changed the tubing formula for 86 and 87. That makes sense now. I am not a small guy, 6'2, 225 and the frame is rock solid so whatever formula they came up with its very rigid and sturdy.
Might change the seat though as there are so many better ones on the market now and just put this one away for safe keeping.
Compared to my mountain bike(s) I have ridden for years this is a big change and when I am on it I feel like I am back in Jr. high when we rode our 10 speeds everywhere and racing your buddies to see who had the faster ride.
Hard to beleive we would give friends or better yet girls rides on them home, to the store or to the movies etc. How did we do that?
Old 04-25-22, 10:34 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
What a beauty, and in my size. I would have grabbed that in a heartbeat.
Old 04-25-22, 10:43 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,774 Posts
Looks like the chaistays don't have those crimped "dimples" to make room for the chainwheels--always an added mark of quality in my book.

That bike is a real survivor. A stellar example of mid-80's bike goodness. And I like the blue way better then the ubiquitous Celeste, anyway!
Likes For smd4: