Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

"Unridden" Schwinn Paramount

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 02:45 AM
Fairview

Bikes: 1971 and 1972 Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
"Unridden" Schwinn Paramount

This Paramount popped up on eBay and is fairly close to where I live. Any idea on what would be a reasonable offer? Is it worth as much as the seller's opening bid of $2,500? I wonder how much the large frame size affects the value, and the non-Campagnolo brakes and shifters.

Schwinn Paramount 1972/all Campagnolo. Chrome. Never ridden.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 09-07-17, 03:07 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Perhaps unridden but certainly not worth what is being asked. I see lots of non-standard components fitted to the bike. Personally, I would steer clear of the bike at that price or even half of the asking price.

Also, the seller has very little feedback. That would also be a worry for me. Again, I would look elsewhere.

Of course, I have never owned a Schwinn Paramount nor have I seen one fitted with an entry level Campy rear derailleur and stem shifters.
Old 09-07-17, 04:32 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I wouldn't worry about feedback if you're planning to pick up the bike in person.

The left side of the handlebars look bent to me. I'd ask for a couple of better photos to verify.

That is a TALL bike. 65 or 66cm? Does it fit you?

As far as value... I hate to put a price on NOS bikes, but that does look high to me, especially with apparently non-standard rear derailleur, shifters, and brake levers. But I'd probably want the price to come down to less than half the asking price. But who knows, it might sell. The chrome looks nice.
Old 09-07-17, 04:48 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
Auction says "reserve not met". He must think it is worth more than the opening bid.
Old 09-07-17, 05:47 AM
Fairview

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I wouldn't worry about feedback if you're planning to pick up the bike in person.

The left side of the handlebars look bent to me. I'd ask for a couple of better photos to verify.

That is a TALL bike. 65 or 66cm? Does it fit you?

As far as value... I hate to put a price on NOS bikes, but that does look high to me, especially with apparently non-standard rear derailleur, shifters, and brake levers. But I'd probably want the price to come down to less than half the asking price. But who knows, it might sell. The chrome looks nice.
The size is why I have any interest. I've got a comparable chrome Paramount, 24 inch frame, but could use something a little taller. I agree on the handlebars. In one photo something looks amiss, but could be an illusion. Thanks
Old 09-07-17, 06:14 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I see what you mean about the bars. You would think for 2,500 he could at least put some new cheap tires.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-07-17, 06:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I see what you mean about the bars. You would think for 2,500 he could at least put some new cheap tires.
I was thinking the same thing but maybe these are NOS tires. They look terrible though even if they are original to the bike.
Old 09-07-17, 06:42 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I've seen chrome Paramounts in nice shape, but not NOS, get near that price actually. Granted, in more attractive sizing. It's not as crazy as some here think (if it truly NOS), though do check the bars.
Old 09-07-17, 07:03 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
that does look high to me, especially with apparently non-standard rear derailleur, shifters, and brake levers.
Perhaps not how you would spec out a P-15 "back when" but Schwinn Twinn-Stik shifters, extension levers and Camgag Turd-issimo derail were available on the build list as OEM. The foam bar covers were a dealer option and consistent w/ that flavor of build.

-Bandera
Old 09-07-17, 07:07 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
$2,000 for pristine used chrome Paramounts is the approximate going rate. When they are listed for less, they are sold in pretty rapid time.
Old 09-07-17, 07:12 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Perhaps not how you would spec out a P-15 "back when" but Schwinn Twinn-Stik shifters, extension levers and Camgag Turd-issimo derail were available on the build list as OEM. The foam bar covers were a dealer option and consistent w/ that flavor of build.

-Bandera
Old 09-07-17, 09:13 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Bandera

-Bandera
+1...and if someone is paying the NOS premium, it's probably not a rider. Those options may not be so awful in that case!
Old 09-07-17, 09:22 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Not unriden and not true stock the 2nd type stick shifter's and grab-on bar grips are post 1972, but could still likely be dealer original as they were offered as options 73-76. Still Very nice bike worth about a $1000 less than the asking price.

Last edited by zukahn1; 09-07-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-07-17, 09:26 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I suspect that at $1500 that bike would be gone in an hour. If I had that bike as a flip...I'd probably have it at about 2500 with make offer enabled. I wouldn't consider anything under 2000.
Old 09-07-17, 10:40 AM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Not unriden and not true stock the 2nd type stick shifter's...
Note that bike is equipped with the 1st gen. Twin-Stik shifters that would be original to the bike in 1972. The 2nd gen. Twin-Stik shifters debuted in July 1973.
Old 09-07-17, 11:16 AM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I agree that is does look like it was ridden a little and the bars do look a bit wonky. He's asking $330 shipping so not sure how knowledgable this guy is regarding pricing; maybe he saw one advertised on eBay for that (probably never sold). If one were truly NOS, all original and a more reasonable size I could see it possibly selling for that if offered by an experienced seller with reasonable shipping.

At the large size and with the questionable issues if it's local to you, I'd contact the guy and see if you could see it. Let him know you're interested but not at that price, get his info and when it doesn't sell offer him $1750 and prepare to settle at $2000. Explain to the owner how many fees eBay will charge him, the hassle of shipping, etc. and see what he says.
Old 09-07-17, 11:25 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Kactus
I agree that is does look like it was ridden a little and the bars do look a bit wonky. He's asking $330 shipping so not sure how knowledgable this guy is regarding pricing; maybe he saw one advertised on eBay for that (probably never sold). If one were truly NOS, all original and a more reasonable size I could see it possibly selling for that if offered by an experienced seller with reasonable shipping.

At the large size and with the questionable issues if it's local to you, I'd contact the guy and see if you could see it. Let him know you're interested but not at that price, get his info and when it doesn't sell offer him $1750 and prepare to settle at $2000. Explain to the owner how many fees eBay will charge him, the hassle of shipping, etc. and see what he says.
Especially when 2000 isn't that far off of what he'd get on eBay with the fees, and you're not giving ebay's warranty. No shipping.

As a seller I'd take that every time.
Old 09-07-17, 11:53 AM
Fairview

Originally Posted by Kactus

I just heard back from him and he reports that he is the original owner, bought 11/30/72, has the paperwork etc. I told him it is a bit too rich for my blood, but it is close by and a frame size that may work for me, so I'm still pondering it. The unridden part of it is a mystery and I didn't want to broach that subject right out of the starting gate.

If the spirit moves me to go see it (about an hour away), I'll let you know.

Thanks very much for your advice and input. Jeff
Old 09-07-17, 12:49 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Fairview
I just heard back from him and he reports that he is the original owner, bought 11/30/72, has the paperwork etc. I told him it is a bit too rich for my blood, but it is close by and a frame size that may work for me, so I'm still pondering it. The unridden part of it is a mystery and I didn't want to broach that subject right out of the starting gate.

If the spirit moves me to go see it (about an hour away), I'll let you know.

Thanks very much for your advice and input. Jeff
I like Kactus's advice here...sit back and watch for now. Good chance it doesn't sell with the reserve on it (reserves turn people off and I don't know why people use them). Be patient. Make an offer you feel good about after he's had time to settle down. Make the offer in person, cash in hand.
Old 09-07-17, 01:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I like Kactus's advice here...sit back and watch for now. Good chance it doesn't sell with the reserve on it (reserves turn people off and I don't know why people use them). Be patient. Make an offer you feel good about after he's had time to settle down. Make the offer in person, cash in hand.
I wouldn't just "watch".

Keep in contact with the seller. Perhaps go out and take a look at the bike in person.

Then let the listing expire and submit an offer for local pickup.
Old 09-07-17, 01:13 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I wouldn't just "watch".

Keep in contact with the seller. Perhaps go out and take a look at the bike in person.

Then let the listing expire and submit an offer for local pickup.
That's not how I'd handle it, but everyone has their preferred style. Mine is expressing interest...waiting for things to cool off while not adding to the seller's perception of interest...and then making an offer while not challenging the other person's price. I try to get around defenses rather than blunt force trauma.
Old 09-07-17, 01:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26404 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
That's not how I'd handle it, but everyone has their preferred style. Mine is expressing interest...waiting for things to cool off while not adding to the seller's perception of interest...and then making an offer while not challenging the other person's price. I try to get around defenses rather than blunt force trauma.
Old 09-07-17, 01:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I have one of these chrome P-15's. They're nice riding bicycles, I should ride mine more.

I can't help but wonder how you buy one and keep it for 40 years without riding it even once.
Old 09-07-17, 01:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...OP, if you do end up with this bicycle, and choose to ride it, those Campy rear derailleurs get some mixed reviews. But if it's never been ridden it will probably work for a while anyway. Mine has a Shimano long cage Crane on the back, which may or may not have been the original equipment as sold on my particular bike.
Old 09-07-17, 07:24 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Jeff, I sold my pristine 24" '72 chrome P15, M72274, three years ago on ebay for $1,300. They are really nice bikes, but I wasn't riding mine after I bought the 953 Waterford. I had changed the original sew-up rims and tires to 700c 36h Open Pro clinchers and mounted polished stainless Gilles Berthoud fenders, but otherwise mine was pretty original.

I think his starting price is about $1,000 over FMV, and we don't know what his reserve is.

Here's mine:

EDIT - FWIW, I bought it from the original owner, and the long cage rebranded Crane was on the bike when delivered to Tarzana Schwinn from the factory in January, 1973.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 09-07-17 at 07:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.