Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

PBP Drop Bags

Old 07-09-19, 11:52 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
PBP Drop Bags

I've finally confirmed I'll be going to Paris to do PBP this year (first timer) and now I've got a bunch of details to work out. One of those is drop bags. It seems that in the past the travel service a lot of people used offered that as an option, but the one that's running it this year doesn't. If you're going to PBP, what are your plans for drop bags?
Old 07-10-19, 12:07 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I'm not using any drop bag service and plan to carry everything on the bike with me.
Old 07-10-19, 12:28 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
I have heard about companies providing drop bag service. I have no knowledge about the quality of their service.
https://www.baxterscyclingtours.com
Travel Haus in St. Louis

Nevertheless, I won't have a drop bag this year. I did a trial run on my 600k qualifier, carrying everything I intend to carry for PBP, and it went fine. We even had weather ranging from 45/rainy to 90/sunny, and my limited clothing was perfectly capable. In '11 and '15 I used the drop bag service, but honestly it was a pain finding my bag among all the other bags, and a hassle dropping it off before and picking up after.

Another down-side of the drop bag is the bag's location is fixed, and might not be where you end up wanting to shower and sleep. That didn't work out for me in '15, and essentially that's when I decided to ditch the drop bag for 2019.
Old 07-10-19, 12:43 AM
brockd15 

Originally Posted by atwl77
I'm not using any drop bag service and plan to carry everything on the bike with me.
Originally Posted by downtube42
I have heard about companies providing drop bag service. I have no knowledge about the quality of their service.
https://www.baxterscyclingtours.com
Travel Haus in St. Louis

Nevertheless, I won't have a drop bag this year. I did a trial run on my 600k qualifier, carrying everything I intend to carry for PBP, and it went fine. We even had weather ranging from 45/rainy to 90/sunny, and my limited clothing was perfectly capable. In '11 and '15 I used the drop bag service, but honestly it was a pain finding my bag among all the other bags, and a hassle dropping it off before and picking up after.

Another down-side of the drop bag is the bag's location is fixed, and might not be where you end up wanting to shower and sleep. That didn't work out for me in '15, and essentially that's when I decided to ditch the drop bag for 2019.
Not using one at all would certainly simply the logistics.
What do you plan to carry as far a clothing? What about power banks to charge a phone and/or gps? What else did you have in a drop bag before but will be either left out or carried along for the ride?
Old 07-10-19, 01:28 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I have only carried two types of bags on my bike on my past brevets: a large top tube bag, and a large saddle bag (currently I use the Topeak Backloader 6L model for 2-day brevets and the 10L model for 3-day rides).

The top tube bag will have anything I need quick, immediate access too, including power banks, spare front light, spare rear light, spare batteries

2-day saddle bag (i.e. 600k) has:
1 spare tire
3-4 spare tubes
bag containing tools -- multitools, tire levers, spare chain link, emergency deraillieur hangar, space button batteries, etc
spare set of clothes -- base layer, jersey, bibshorts, gloves, socks
microfibre towel
extra pair of socks
rain jacket
gilet
toiletries -- travel toothbrush, toothpaste, mouth wash, shower foam
muscle rub
chamois cream
spare parts -- brake pads, SPD-SL cleats, bunch of Velcro strips, cable ties, spare light attachment/holder, etc

For 3-day rides (i.e. 1000k), same loadout, plus an extra day of clothes

Here's my bike from last year's 1000k:

Old 07-10-19, 03:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by brockd15
What do you plan to carry as far a clothing? What about power banks to charge a phone and/or gps? What else did you have in a drop bag before but will be either left out or carried along for the ride?
In 2003, I rode the PBP with no drop bag. I wasn't really used to making use of a drop bag.

I carried a change of shorts and a jersey in my bag. I would add a lightweight long-sleeved top.

Last edited by Machka; 07-10-19 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-10-19, 06:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I may have started the rumor about TravelHaus not having drop bags. They are, but they will not take payment now unless you book a travel package through them, which I still find really annoying. https://pbp19.com/bag-drop-support/
Baxters from the U.K. has a drop bag service in Carhaix and Fougeres. They seem to be a lot more experienced at these kinds of things, so that's attractive. But I'm not sure I can make it to Carhaix before I need my bag. Travelhaus will have bags in Loudiac.

I slept in Loudeac twice in 2011. I am thinking if I want to go to St Nick to sleep, that getting my stuff in Loudeac would work and possibly taking a shower there.

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-10-19 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-10-19, 07:51 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I signed up with Baxter's. They'll accept your bags at their hotel near the start in Rambouillet around the time you do your bike check. Having the bags available twice along the route on the outbound and inbound leg gives a lot of flexibility. I don't plan on carrying a lot of stuff but having the option to change my kit 4 times on the ride seems pretty sweet to me even if the weather is nice and dry, it should help with saddle sores and irritation. I am thinking that I will take a smaller saddle bag with me and only carry a light jacket, leg/arm warmers and a wee bit of other stuff since the longest stretch between bags is the ~300k between Rambouillet and Fougères.
Old 07-10-19, 09:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Did they say when the fougeres bags would be available? I really want to go with them, because I'm a lot more confident in their abilities to deliver. Ramboullet bag drop off and pickup is inconvenient though. But it costs about the same to have 2 bags with them than one bag with Travelhaus, and they aren't being goofy about taking reservations.
Old 07-10-19, 09:31 AM
clasher

They schedule your bag drop-off in Rambouillet based around the time you have bike inspection and it looks like it's just a 4km jaunt from the bergerie in Rambouillet. The train station is almost in the middle between their hotel and the bergerie do if I take the train to the bike inspection I can just drop the bags off and then ride over to the inspection, and ride back to my hotel in Trappes. I need to do a practice pack soon.

These are the time they sent in the email for Fougères:
Outward
Opening Closing
19th @ 00:18hrs (80hrs time limit) 19th @ 10:00hrs (80hrs time limit)
19th @ 13:18hrs (84hrs time limit) 19th @ 23:41hrs (84hrs time limit)
19th @ 01:33hrs (90hrs time limit) 19th @ 13:39hrs (90hrs time limit)

Return
Opening Closing
19th @ 21:41hrs (80hrs time limit) 21st @ 01:54hrs (80hrs time limit)
20th @ 10:41hrs (84hrs time limit) 21st @ 17:17hrs (84hrs time limit)
19th @ 22:56hrs (90hrs time limit) 21st @ 10:56hrs (90hrs time limit)
Old 07-10-19, 04:59 PM
brockd15 

Originally Posted by clasher
I signed up with Baxter's. They'll accept your bags at their hotel near the start in Rambouillet around the time you do your bike check. Having the bags available twice along the route on the outbound and inbound leg gives a lot of flexibility. I don't plan on carrying a lot of stuff but having the option to change my kit 4 times on the ride seems pretty sweet to me even if the weather is nice and dry, it should help with saddle sores and irritation. I am thinking that I will take a smaller saddle bag with me and only carry a light jacket, leg/arm warmers and a wee bit of other stuff since the longest stretch between bags is the ~300k between Rambouillet and Fougères.
Baxter's sounds like a good option but I can't find much good info on their website. Did you just email them to sign up for the drop bag service only?
Old 07-10-19, 05:21 PM
clasher

Baxter's sounds like a good option but I can't find much good info on their website. Did you just email them to sign up for the drop bag service only?
I found this link on another forum, or maybe the randon group, I dunno... they take a few days to get you all sorted out but I started here: PBP-Payment-Page2
Old 07-10-19, 05:36 PM
brockd15 

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 07-10-19, 11:13 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
For up top I'll have a wool LS jersey, Lycra SS jersey, and rain jacket. At any given time I'll wear one, two, or all of those. Three pair of socks, one if those is wool. Two pair of poly underwear (I ride a recumbent, poly underwear and non-padded shorts work). Leg warmers, rain legs. Ear warmers, wool gloves. U may bring shoe covers depending on the forecast. That's it for clothes. Four tubes, folding tire, repair kit. Food.

I used to carry a light jacket and rain jacket - now just the rain jacket. Used to carry arm warmers - wool LS jersey covers that. Used to carry multiple gloves, more jerseys.
Old 07-11-19, 06:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I thought about going without a drop bag, but it's a lot nicer to have one. I would say my drop bag saved me in 2011. I'm taking my Revelate viscacha bag, so Loudeac will probably work for me no matter what I decide to do about shower/sleeping. I'm going to have socks/jersey/shorts/base layer for each clothing change in a freezer bag, so it should be easy to just put that in the seat bag.