Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

daVinci intermediate shaft with 2 White Industries Dos Enos

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

daVinci intermediate shaft with 2 White Industries Dos Enos

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 07:10 PM
greggk34

Bikes: Santa Cruz 5010, Cannondale Synapse, Colnago Master-X-Light, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
daVinci intermediate shaft (ICS) with 2 White Industries Eno freewheels

Hey All,

At the non-profit shop that I work for, we received a strange device recently and I'm seeking some help.

It came off of a recumbent, not a tandem, but we were told by the donor that it is common on tandems. It appears to be a daVinci intermediate shaft (ICS) with two White Industries Eno freewheels on it (not the Dos Eno as I previously thought).

Can anyone help me confirm this?

I found some info on the daVinci website here:
https://www.davincitandems.com/owner...mediate-shaft/

Also, if it's not against the rules, can anyone tell me what something like this is worth?

The Eno's both have 18T and the cassette on the other side has 12-18-24-30 T. All the teeth seem in relatively good shape. I know the Eno's go for about $100 new and about $75 for VGC used. It is the ICS that I really need help pricing.

I've included a couple of photos with the device in the bracket that was mounted to the recumbent.

Thanks in advance.

-gregg

Last edited by greggk34; 06-03-21 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-04-21, 12:08 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
You're correct on the ID. I didn't know they were put on other bikes besides da Vinci tandems.

The most valuable thing there is probably the two freewheels, which you've already noted. One of them may be reverse thread. Note, if you sell the freewheels to a daVinci tandem owner who has non-White freewheels currently they'll probably also need the black aluminum piece they are mounted on as there are at least two versions of that depending on which freewheels are installed.

The four rings on the right side are $60 new from daVinci, but unless someone wants to start swapping just some of the sprockets on a cheaper steel cassette, they are only useful to someone with a daVinci tandem, or apparently a recumbent those came off of (home built?). They'd sit forever in the spare sprocket drawer at the bike co-op I volunteer at, but you might find some interest on here.

The rest of the parts (shaft, etc) on that are very specific to that maker, and I'd be very surprised if they ever need replacing.

I'll start the bidding at one full shift of volunteer hours at your co-op.
Old 06-04-21, 12:45 PM
Joint Venture

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
For a time, the Rans Screamer recumbent tandem offered da Vinci ICS as an option. I’m not sure of what use the double freewheel block would have been on a non-tandem recumbent as it is meant to connect two cranksets to the jackshaft and spin the drive gears (“chainrings”) on the other side, while providing independent coasting for each rider.

Last edited by Joint Venture; 06-04-21 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-07-21, 11:53 AM
greggk34

Bikes: Santa Cruz 5010, Cannondale Synapse, Colnago Master-X-Light, Surly Cross Check

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Apparently, the original owner used it on his recumbent so that he could have it deliver power (drive) whether he was pedaling forward or backwards! Why he would want to do such a thing, I suppose is a different matter altogether.
Old 06-08-21, 01:22 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by greggk34
Apparently, the original owner used it on his recumbent so that he could have it deliver power (drive) whether he was pedaling forward or backwards! Why he would want to do such a thing, I suppose is a different matter altogether.
That's curious. Were there two chains coming from the front crank, or going to a different gear set to facilitate that?
Old 06-08-21, 11:27 AM
greggk34

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
That's curious. Were there two chains coming from the front crank, or going to a different gear set to facilitate that?
I don't recall exactly, but I believe it was going to a different gear.
Thanks for the input, guys! Very helpful.