Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

expedition trailer

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

expedition trailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-21, 02:26 PM
maleger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
expedition trailer

Hi, Any recommendations or links to sites with information on trailer hitch mechanisms that would be well adapted to a 5.5.9. I'm looking for options for long-distance travel. Thanks.
Old 08-01-21, 10:42 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Check out what is available on Bentrideronline. A similar question was asked about the Catrike Expedition and the answer was that Burley trailers are adaptable to a Catrikes, Can I use a Burley Trailer with a Catrike Expedition - BentRider Online Forums
Old 08-01-21, 11:51 AM
maleger

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OK, thanks, I will try the local dealer to check them out.
Old 08-08-21, 05:37 AM
maleger

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here is the information that I received from Burley: Thank you for contacting Burley and for your interest in our products.
Based on my brief online research, it looks like your Catrike uses a 12X142 thru-axle. If the thread pitch (tp) is 1.75 and the measured axle length is 168mm, Burley does not make an axle solution that is compatible with your trike. However, Robert Axle Project does have a product that should be compatible. I have provided a link to this below. We recommend verifying compatibility with their customer service team before making a purchase.
I hope this has been helpful. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Robert Axle Project, KID221
Old 08-08-21, 08:06 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
I'm not sure what year Catrike changed to a thru axle but it is fairly recent. Are you buying a new or a used Expedition? If you own and older one or are buying used you may find it has a regular axle. What you need will depend on which axle design you get.
Old 08-08-21, 09:55 AM
maleger

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hi, my Catrike 5.5.9 is brand new, a 2021 model from the local dealer. I did order the adapter from the Robert Axle Project that I mentioned earlier. I posted the info from Burley to make sure there was a trace of this for future forum member reference.
Old 08-10-21, 06:05 AM
maleger

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I can confirm that the Robert Axle Project model KID220, mentioned in my previous post, with a length of 167mm and 1,75mm thread does fit the Catrike 5.5.9 2021 and allows me to install the trailer connector to my tadpole trike. FYI, It took about 2 days to receive it in Canada.
Likes For maleger:
Old 09-12-21, 09:24 AM
DLeeW

Bikes: Raleigh Hybrid, Raleigh Mixte, Catrike 559

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the information.