Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Motobecane 'Le Champion' 1972 one owner

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22, 01:47 PM
LGiles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is a one owner 1972 Motobecane 'Le champion', modified to 12 spd, in Grand Jubilee colors, in 1973 they won the Tour de France and doubled the price, and went to a solid color on the bike model and all Campy, it is constructed of premium Reynolds 531 double butted steel frame tubes and fork blades, with Campagnolo dropouts front & rear, the frame is a 54 cm IIRC, I have a 32-inch inside seam for pants and stand 6', It has Suntour Cyclone rear derailleurs, and Shimano front derailleur, Shimano fingertip shifters navigate through the 12 total gears, Stronglite 93 double crank, geared 45, 49, there are spare gears for the crank, and rear hub, the pedals are Shimano 600 platforms, the stem and drop bars are Cinelli, I replace the original TTT stem and bars about 20 years ago, when the originals went bad, and I couldn't find a direct replacement for the TTT, Brooks Pro seat, Campy quick release on frame for seat, provide a comfortable perch for all day riding, brakes are all Weinman, levers, hoods and side pulls 50C IIRC with Campy springs with Mafac front pads and rear pads synthetic, rolling stock consists of one pair of early Wheel Smith wheels ( when they were tuning rims with an Oscilloscope with serial number labels, and Specialized hubs and Super Champion rims, second set are Sunshine GyroMaster hubs is Suntour Perfect 6 spd, 15, 17, 19, 22, 25, 29, laced to Mavic(?) rims, hub is Suntour Perfect 6 spd, 14, 17, 20, 23, 27, 31, both are cross 3 with 700C tires, A fantastic machine to get you all around town or into the hills. I rode this bike for over 30 years, so it does have a patina, there was one nasty accident that where the front brake met the frame too hard when I ran out of asphalt coming down an incline, pictured on frame, Call or text see contact info if you want to check it out.

There are also some spare parts, including Camagnolo pump head for a Silca Impero pumpparts included non op), also that will be coming with the bike, that include another set of Shimano fingertip shifters missing the barrels that go in the handle bar, there are spare crank gears, 40, 47, 52, 54, rear gear hub set 'Cyclo Competition' made in France, 14, 15, 16, 20, 22, there is a single 14 gear for what looks like the rear axle also, Shimano fingertip shifters missing barrels, Campy quick release for front wheel hub, quick release for seat post, platform pedals, another set of platform pedals that look like the Shimano's on the bike Campy Nuovo Record front and rear derailleurs, Campy frame bracket for air pump, Campy frame guides 2 each for shifter cables, and cable guide for single cable, spare stronglite left crank arm 9/16-20 x 165 mm, cables and other misc parts. I tricked out this bike when ever I had a chance when I had the money and found something interesting.

I loved riding this bicycle, there were even a few years when it was my only transportation, been hard to part with it and would like it to be restored.

Please ask any questions, request better photos

Larry Griffin
These are poor, I'll be replacing or adding.

This photo shows where the brake removed the paint

Weinmann front brake

Last edited by LGiles; 05-12-22 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-12-22, 01:55 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Wrong forum. But that's the least of your worries.....
Old 05-12-22, 02:11 PM
LGiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This column was suggested to me, but I did forget to edit the price out, it is also in the for sale column. Now to take some decent pictures

Thanks, Larry
Old 05-12-22, 07:32 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Those were nice frames, but the way it's put together and the hard life it's had......not good...
Likes For trailangel:
Old 05-12-22, 07:43 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Hard truth no one cares. Basic model nice Sschknn so start $200 .
Old 05-12-22, 08:56 PM
LGiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
trailangel
"Those were nice frames, but the way it's put together and the hard life it's had......not good..."
The frame is double butted steel, and there is nothing wrong with the frame that it couldn't be ridden with some TLC, I stand a little over 6' and weigh 200#, the frame has been tested daily for months at a time, unfortunately my frame is not in as good shape.

zukahn1
"Hard truth no one cares. Basic model nice Sschknn so start $200."
The frame is not your basic model it is Motobecane's top of the line "Le Champion', at the time, there is still enough of label on the down tube declaring 531 frame material, if you are familiar with the sticker, I researched bicycles before I bought this one, and the framed matched the specification of other top of line bikes, but cost about half as much, since it didn't have all the Campy equipment the others had, that didn't happen till after they won the Tour de France the following year. The I don't cares were the kiddies that put their bikes in the rack next to it, it wasn't always possible to put it inside the business I was visiting.
Old 05-13-22, 07:02 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Clearly this bike has a lot of sentimental value for you. It's been a good friend for many years.
Would suggest that you take some time to clean it up nicely, remove the seat cover, replace the bar tape and cables/housing so that it looks more like the friend that it is.
Soap and water with a rag and some air in the tires will work wonders on prospective buyers.
Good luck with finding your friend a new home!
Old 05-13-22, 07:17 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I can only assume that the spare parts you have are in the same condition as the bike. I realize it's a "531" bike but even then... I would be hard pressed to give you more than $125 for everything. Way too many consumables need to be replaces on that bike and the effort to clean it up just wouldn't be worth it.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-13-22, 08:18 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
The bike itself as-is, $60-80 tops. The rest of the stuff $50 perhaps, if you can find a buyer.

The presentation is horrible, replaced parts. I don't know how bars and stem go bad, you mentioned damage and crash? Alignment probably needed. Tricked out don't mean a thing if it's chunked old and worn out, just like one owner means nothing to value in that condition.

It looks like a trailer park reject, and that's with a good trailer in back ground. Your pictures are fine, better pictures won't increase value of the Champion.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-13-22, 11:24 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
What happened to the Universal centerpulls?
Campy DRs
Suspect a crash on front end.
Strange headset.
bad sidepulls
Shimano pedals into a French crank!
Replaced QR rear axle with solid?
What hubs?
Likes For trailangel:
Old 05-13-22, 04:44 PM
LGiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for an appropriate answer, yes the bike needs some TLC, but that is like rubbing salt in an open wound, especially when I may not ride it again. I've downsized, and getting the motorhome ready to travel after sitting for 11 years. I'm looking to move to the Portland area, and in the country. I may just end up selling parts for now, if a bike is still viable when I get settled there, clean it up. I'm getting a better idea of what vintage bike market, but will have to watch 1980s and beyond to learn more.
Old 05-13-22, 04:54 PM
LGiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, actually the Campy Nuovo Record derailleurs I took off my bike shortly I got it. I will post picture as soon as I get familiar with my digital camera again.
Old 05-13-22, 05:10 PM
LGiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trailangel
What happened to the Universal centerpulls?
Campy DRs
Suspect a crash on front end.
Strange headset.
bad sidepulls
Shimano pedals into a French crank!
Replaced QR rear axle with solid?
What hubs?
The Universal brakes went on another bike, the campy DRs, The headset bearings are the original stronglite or Cinelli(?) when I replaced the handle bars, the 1970 were still American threads, even the spare crank arm is marked that from factory, I had problems with busting rear quick release axles, so put solid replacement, and it didn't break, "bad sidepulls", really, how many cable connections does a centerpulls have.

Last edited by LGiles; 05-13-22 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-13-22, 06:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...I do some restorations, and even have one Le Champion (from a different year) that I restored as a project.
But the problem with yours, as a project, is that so many of the original parts are gone away now.

The one I picked as a project had some significant paint issues, and some rust. But all the original components were still present.
ON something like a Motobecane, digging up all those components and buying them at internet prices is just a deal breaker.

But yes, they are very nice riding frames. Might be a project for someone who just wants to renovate it as a rider, using good, but not original components.

Old 05-13-22, 07:11 PM
LGiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike, are those lugs the same as mine?

I knew original parts were a positive on old cars, but didn't think it would be the same for bicycle, I've been told you can part your old car out for parts and get more money.

Is there a difference in price between say Campy Nuovo Record and Tipo derailleurs, or the like.

Thanks, Larry
Old 05-13-22, 07:57 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by LGiles
Nice bike, are those lugs the same as mine?

I knew original parts were a positive on old cars, but didn't think it would be the same for bicycle, I've been told you can part your old car out for parts and get more money.

Is there a difference in price between say Campy Nuovo Record and Tipo derailleurs, or the like.

Thanks, Larry
...you can part out a bike on e-bay for more money than selling the bike intact. Campy NR derailleurs are actually pretty reasonable right now. They made them in the same (or similar) design for a long time, from the 50's to the 80's, so there are a lot of them out there in the used parts stream. They never worked especially well, compared to some other stuff made by Suntour and Shimano. But they made up for that in ease of repair and availability of repair parts.

I don't know about the lugs they used, but the ones on mine have nice long points, and obviously got thinned with some hand filing, as you'd expect on a better frame.

You might have better luck selling just the frame, stripped of what's on there now, for a reasonable price to someone who wants to build it up using a donor bike for the components. Certainly bare frames are easier to ship.
Old 05-14-22, 01:55 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
.................. I rode this bike for over 30 years, so it does have a patina, ................
Dirt, grime, scratches, scrapes and rust are not "patina"

The frame and wheels have some value so I would completely strip it down, clean the "patina" and part it out.
Old 05-15-22, 08:09 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
I doubt you will get close to $600 for this. The frameset is not in great condition. There appears to be rust on the chainstays. These are nice bikes and a good condition one with original paint is worth the price. I personally think the blue is a bit more desirable, though I own both varieties.

I'd expect probably offer $150 based on the photos. Rough shape means that the stem and handlebars could be stuck. The bottom bracket and hubs likely need servicing, cables and brake pads likely need replacing. All this costs money to the buyer. I know you see them sold for the amount you are asking, but those are often ones that don't need the kind of work that this one does.

GLWS.
Likes For beech333:
Old 05-17-22, 02:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
I had problems with busting rear quick release axles, so put solid replacement.
That may be, but that is a huge turnoff to a buyer to see a solid rear axle on a bike like this. Just like the rack, seat cover, etc. Too "franken" for many vintage enthusiasts that might otherwise get past the bad paint.
Old 05-17-22, 03:11 PM
LGiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
That may be, but that is a huge turnoff to a buyer to see a solid rear axle on a bike like this. Just like the rack, seat cover, etc. Too "franken" for many vintage enthusiasts that might otherwise get past the bad paint.
IIRC, it wasn't a sudden choice, I busted a few replacement axles. before I got tired of replacing the axle, there are some spares included.
Old 05-17-22, 04:24 PM
jacobacl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well used bike!
Old 05-17-22, 04:50 PM
LGiles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jacobacl
Well used bike!
Yes Sir, I started out with a Gitane typical 10 spd of the day, even after mods it still felt clunky, I was riding to work delivering Pepsi, I bought a Raleigh Competition, and that was what the front forks were made, sold that and bought the La Champion, and fell in love with it, established a good cadence and sorted out the gearing and could pass in a residential area.
Old 05-19-22, 02:58 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
I do laugh when I read "one owner", its like the old used car descriptions.
One owner can be equal to "one abuser"
Old 05-19-22, 06:09 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
The good news is you have obviously got a lot of use out of this bike. Bravo! Most bikes get very little use, but tend to be neglected and worn from storage condition, not so much use.

But dirt and grime does not equal patina. I myself love patina. A collector is going to want the bike with its original parts, collectors know that acquiring the original missing parts will typically be cost prohibitive. So at that point, its not really a collectable bike, but is suitable for a "resto-mod."

$600? Not a chance.

I tend to find several higher end vintage bikes in this condition every year. 99% of the buyers out there want clean, ready to ride bikes. I'm in the remaining 1%, but I expect to get a deal.

On this subforum, you really don't get appraisals. Instead, you get opinions. Now many people that comment here have bought and sold hundreds of bikes, so there is knowledge for sure. To get a "real" appraisal costs quite a bit of money, and you have to find an appraiser that knows vintage bikes. I do not know of any qualified vintage bike appraisers.

"One owner" is really meaningless when bike is missing all of its original parts and overall in fair condition. If it were bone stock in outstanding condition, then one owner would make a difference. I had a "one owner" bike, my 1975 Peugeot from college. But after college, it was poorly stored, neglected, abused. So it did not benefit from having one owner.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-04-22 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-03-22, 01:55 PM
tiras32

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 105

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agreed on easy $200-250

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.