Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

French baguettes anyone?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

French baguettes anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 02:16 PM
Mr Vagabond

Bikes: Bianchi Castro Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
French baguettes anyone?

Since I should be recieving my brand new rear rack today, I've been trying to decide on a pannier to get for it. Double would be nice, but the cost is usually double as well. Grocery bag panniers have caught my eye because I'd be able to just stuff my backpack in it when I need to be on campus and would give me plenty of space when I go shopping. My only concern is heel clearance. I haven't noticed any grocery bag panniers that mention heel clearance at all. I've eyed this one https://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=932003 Price-wise it seems fine for it's functions. Anybody have experience with heel clearance on these or something similar?
Old 02-21-08, 02:30 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Since they're box-shaped, the heel clearance is worse (less?) than a normal (trapezoidal-shaped) pannier. I have some of the Nashbar grocery bag panniers, they're kind of flimsy, but otherwise OK.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 02-21-08, 03:45 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- the soft bag is nice... if clearance is an issue, your achilles tendons will thank you...

(i use a medium-sized mess bag for my weekly farmer's market shopping - holds plenty o' produce!)

:-)
Old 02-21-08, 04:02 PM
spider-man
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on your bike, you might just consider attaching a basket to the rack.

In my experience, the best way to carry a baguette is to rest it on the brake hoods. This works best with non-aero brake levers, since the cables help hold the baguette in place.
Old 02-21-08, 05:19 PM
Mr York

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a grocery bag pannier, on the back there is a hook on a bungie cord that can fit between three different tabs on the pannier to move the bottom of the bag closer are farther away from the foot. Mine is centrally attached and I have enough space to pedal without hitting it. The top can also be adjusted some front to back.
Old 02-21-08, 05:35 PM
MIKEnDC
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rats! I was hoping this thread would give me a lead on a plastic baguette. I wanted one so I could have it and some fake fennel sticking jauntily out of my basket comme le chic gourmand without actually spraying my grains and produce with toxic road spray.

Maybe the next baguette thread...
Old 02-21-08, 05:55 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I don't know about a plastic baguette but what about a gummy haggis?
Old 02-21-08, 06:50 PM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arkel Utility Bag is pretty awesome...

They actually call it a "utility basket," but it's a bag if you ask me. Kind of an expensive grocery getter at $100, but mine has seen heavy use over the last four years or so and is still in as good a shape as the day I bought it. I have owned other pannier bags that didn't hold up as well.
https://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/uti...asp?fl=1&site=

I have an older version that has webbing in the front for quickly tightening down a load. It holds a scary amount of groceries. The bottom is stiff so you can easily arrange/stack things. It almost swallows a baguette shoved in vertically, but the end of most baguettes will stick out a few inches (so you might want to get another baguette bag to go over the top). The construction is so solid, and the fabric so tough, that you won't think twice about carrying heavy items like gallons of milk or six packs of beer. It also expands pretty well if you need to stuff in a lot of items... just arrange it so the fragile stuff is on top.

This bag has the same great mounting system as all Arkel panniers: Totally secure and very quick and easy to mount/dismount. It's also fully adjustable so you can slide the bag back for more heal clearance if needed. When mine isn't carrying groceries it is sometimes packed with extra clothing or my camera tripod.

I've also carried quite a lot of groceries in my wife's canvas Baggins Hoss bag. It's a saddlebag that sits on top of her rear rack. Works well, but the pannier is more practical for most things. Depends on the load.
Sean
Old 02-21-08, 09:01 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by sean000
They actually call it a "utility basket," but it's a bag if you ask me. Kind of an expensive grocery getter at $100, but mine has seen heavy use over the last four years or so and is still in as good a shape as the day I bought it. I have owned other pannier bags that didn't hold up as well.
https://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/uti...asp?fl=1&site=

I have an older version that has webbing in the front for quickly tightening down a load. It holds a scary amount of groceries. The bottom is stiff so you can easily arrange/stack things. It almost swallows a baguette shoved in vertically, but the end of most baguettes will stick out a few inches (so you might want to get another baguette bag to go over the top). The construction is so solid, and the fabric so tough, that you won't think twice about carrying heavy items like gallons of milk or six packs of beer. It also expands pretty well if you need to stuff in a lot of items... just arrange it so the fragile stuff is on top.

This bag has the same great mounting system as all Arkel panniers: Totally secure and very quick and easy to mount/dismount. It's also fully adjustable so you can slide the bag back for more heal clearance if needed. When mine isn't carrying groceries it is sometimes packed with extra clothing or my camera tripod.

I've also carried quite a lot of groceries in my wife's canvas Baggins Hoss bag. It's a saddlebag that sits on top of her rear rack. Works well, but the pannier is more practical for most things. Depends on the load.
Sean
+100 ^^^^^. I too use this bag and while not terribly "fashionable", it is hands down the most versatile bag I have used. Also the top small pocket makes getting wallet/keys/cell phone etc. no hassle. No fishing around in a dark, large bag. I would highly recommend it.
Old 02-22-08, 08:55 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
I like the folding Wald baskets....out of the way when not needed sturdy when needed. I have had no rattle issues. I did mount it as far back on the rack as I could to avoid heel strike...so far no problem
Old 02-22-08, 09:25 AM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ what he said. just mount 'em back as far as you can, and no worries.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 02-22-08, 11:11 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spider-man
In my experience, the best way to carry a baguette is to rest it on the brake hoods. This works best with non-aero brake levers, since the cables help hold the baguette in place.
If your bike has a full rear fender, I've had pretty good success with sticking narrow, tall items (ie. bagged baguettes, bouquets of flowers, etc.) between my seat stays and wedged between fender and seat tube.

Also, my messenger bag has compression straps on the bottom and these have been generally excellent at holding poster tubes, baguettes and full size umbrellas.
Old 02-22-08, 11:41 AM
ronzorini
Leather and Canvas Fetish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^
ditto on the Wald baskets!

My wife loves them. The only minor gripes is that it's heavy and the supplied clamps are pretty cheap, but have stayed tight using locktite. The clamps barely fit around her large diameter rack tubing and was a pain to install. You can always use mini hose clamps instead, but you might crush the hollow rack tubing.

Hers makes a little rattling noise, but it's not annoying. You can use velcro ties to cinch it up.

The best part is...no worries about getting it stolen while you're out shopping and it'll never rip. It'll look nice with a couple of baguettes sticking out the back.
Old 02-22-08, 01:18 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
I currently use the Wald folding wire baskets, but I am not really happy with them. My back pack is a bit too large for them when I have a heavy class load. Also the buckles sometimes catch on the wire, making it a pain to just grab and go.

Other then that, they are pretty useful, but I am looking for a larger utility basket style of pannier. I would buy the Arkel in a heartbaet if it were not so expensive.
Old 02-22-08, 01:32 PM
Mr Vagabond

Bikes: Bianchi Castro Valley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I looked at the Arkel and the price is just too high for me right now. I went with my original choice from Comcycle. It seems pretty much the same as a Sunlite pannier, just without the logo. I prefer fewer logos.
Old 02-22-08, 02:02 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
All the kids here at Stanford ride with the baskets. I don't know if I could do it with my bike, though... maybe someday when my two sets of panniers, two trunk bags, and front bag disintegrate.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 02-22-08, 04:18 PM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PVC plumbing pipe fabricated to attach to a backpack. Cheap, easy, and you can still use the backpack when your away from the bike.

Old 02-22-08, 05:03 PM
TuckertonRR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice setup! how do you attach it to the rack?
Old 02-22-08, 07:20 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I don't know about a plastic baguette but what about a gummy haggis?
They sell much of that? (the butterscotch-flavored product). A niche market. Yum.