Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Brooks Swift saddle

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Brooks Swift saddle

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 11:20 AM
laplander

Bikes: Cenelli,Schwinn, Trek, Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks Swift saddle

It has been five years since i have been on a bike, but this year i have decided, at age 67 to
start riding again. I purchased a Brooks Swift saddle, with all my other saddles, i set it level
with the top tube, and it would feel right, with the Brooks, i have to tip it back at least 5 degrees
to make it feel comfortable, if i level it i slide forward, has anyone else experienced this with a
Brooks saddle? I have not decided on the comfort level of the saddle yet either.
Old 02-20-10, 11:26 AM
Mr. Fly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Both my Swifts are tilted slightly up at the front because that's my preferred setting. I used to have them even more tilted but found that once the saddles got broken in a bit, the requirement for tilting the front up lessens. The broken-in saddles have slight dimples and less slippery surfaces to hold you on better.
Old 02-20-10, 06:21 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Often a Brooks will appear to be tilted up at the nose when the seating area is actually level. Also, Brooks saddles are pretty slick when new and you will tend to slide forward. After a bit of the sheen wears off, they hold you in place more, though not as much as most saddles.
Old 02-20-10, 07:15 PM
Donegal
Road Nazi Hunter

Bikes: Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laplander
It has been five years since i have been on a bike, but this year i have decided, at age 67 to
start riding again. I purchased a Brooks Swift saddle, with all my other saddles, i set it level
with the top tube, and it would feel right, with the Brooks, i have to tip it back at least 5 degrees
to make it feel comfortable, if i level it i slide forward, has anyone else experienced this with a
Brooks saddle? I have not decided on the comfort level of the saddle yet either.
I have both a Brooks Professional and Swift and for some reason, both are tilted up at the nose. I believe that since they are so slippery, it keeps you from sliding foward. One is on a trainer that I have spent a thousand hours on, and because of that, I have micro-adjusted it until it is just perfect. I have never been able to get any other bike to sit that comfortably. Nose is up on the Brooks.
Old 02-21-10, 05:18 AM
jwh

Bikes: Trek EX9.8, Cervelo S3, Eddy Mercyx Mourenx 69 disc, Intense Carbine,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Same here too. If you don't you'll keep sliding forward.
I've had mine for 6 years and it's still slippery but I like it that way.
Old 02-21-10, 08:08 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree that the nose needs a bit of an angle. Both of these saddles work just fine for me even though they are set differently. That is a Brooks Professional on the Raleigh.

Old 02-21-10, 03:30 PM
laplander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems that you would put uncomfortable pressure in all the wrong places, especially on a road bike doing a century ride.
Old 02-21-10, 03:49 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by laplander
It seems that you would put uncomfortable pressure in all the wrong places, especially on a road bike doing a century ride.
It's not an issue for me. I usually ride the Raleigh with the Brooks on long event rides and have not had any pressure issues. The Brooks doesn't flex much or have extra padding that compresses when seated on it. In my basket of spare saddles is a Terry Fly which is padded and has a cut out. The first 10 miles the saddle feels like a dream but is a daemon on rides longer than 1 hr. Every one had different fitness levels and ride lengths, we all need to find what works best for ourselves. It never hurts to "tweak" the saddle position during the season to match your riding.
Old 02-21-10, 09:47 PM
laplander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allegheny Jet, Thanks for the information on the Terry Fly, I have that saddle, I put it on my bike
a few years ago because it felt so comfortable, and was going to use that saddle on my century
in the spring. I think I'll break in the Brooks on my trainer, and try it on the century instead.
I wasn't quite sure of the Brooks, because it feels so darn stiff. I put proofide on it, and used
a heat gun to melt it into the leather, I hope that helps soften the leather. The Terry saddle was
not ridden much, I put the bike away before I had a chance to put any time on that saddle.
I have heard a lot of good things about the Brooks, a few negatives, but thats understandable,
I think by spring, the Brooks should be ready to go.