Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Overtraining?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Overtraining?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 08:22 PM
Prairie Native

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overtraining?

As race season approaches Ive been pouring on the mileage and intensity. I usually take one full day off and have 2-3 "easy" days with the others being quick group rides, hill repeats/intervals. Last week I had a hard group ride wendsday, hill repeats thursday, longer mileage on friday. Yesterday when I got on my bike to do an easy ride and my heartrate shot up really quick and I felt dead for the first 8 miles of my ride. Took forever to feel warmed up. Suggestions for how much to rest? I think im taking 2 full days off, but want to prevent this for later. Should I rearrange how I do my rides? what do you guys do?
Old 05-09-10, 08:46 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
two words: active recovery. ride hard some days, then take a nice, eassssy spin the next day. eat a lot, drink a lot. focus on protein (if you aren't trying to lose weight, try some protein supplements, whey is best). you needs carbs and good fats too.

if you're really putting on the miles/training, you need to eat a lot to get results.
Old 05-09-10, 09:26 PM
critking

Bikes: Road n Mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to establish a weekly, monthly training plan and stick to it. Seems like your training is based on random training. Every ride must have a purpose. The best results come from proper rest and recovery. Highly recoomend you read/purchase The Cyclist Training Bible by Joe Friel. you learn how to self-coach.
Old 05-09-10, 09:53 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
for starters, i would get off the bike for at least three days.

for every three to four weeks of training, have one week of recovery (easy rides). the only days on which you should hammer hard are the hard workout days. dropping people in a town-line sprint may be fun, but it may not be conducive to training. space out your hard efforts & extra long days, your muscles need time to recover. your high mileage days should be done at a low, aerobic effort. seriously, get friel's book
Old 05-09-10, 09:55 PM
Caad 8
Cat-5-O-Meter: Training

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not over-training, but take a few days off.
Old 05-09-10, 10:32 PM
Prairie Native

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool, thanks guys. i took today off, and im going to do the same tomorrow. what do you guys do with spare time off the bike? i look at it and it looks at me and i just want to ride the damn thing.
Old 05-09-10, 10:48 PM
seanthebear

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Bianchi mongrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairie Native
cool, thanks guys. i took today off, and im going to do the same tomorrow. what do you guys do with spare time off the bike? i look at it and it looks at me and i just want to ride the damn thing.
i think that's why some guys get girlfriends (or girls get boyfriends).....not as sexy i know but good for the days off...
Old 05-09-10, 11:22 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairie Native
bikforums... or clean it.
Old 05-09-10, 11:48 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Non-riding days are when you shop for more bike things, adjust your stem height, saddle position, cleats, try to find that creak, clean things, etc...
Old 05-10-10, 06:59 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
All of this depends on how much base you have, how long you've been training, the training loads you are used to handling, and the stresses on your system other than riding (i.e. work family school etc.)

That said, I doubt you need to take 2-3 days off the bike because you just did 2 days with some intensity, and one day with some distance.

My typical week is riding 6 days a week, one off day, 3-4 days with either intervals, racing or a competitive group ride, and one day with a recovery ride. I would say that's a pretty typical schedule for a lot of racers.

You also want to build in some easy weeks. Thus my schedule is built around 4 weeks cycles, with an easy week, then the next 3 weeks getting progressively harder until the next easy week.

Unless you've put yourself in a serious deficit, I really doubt you need to be taking 2-3 days off the bike at this point in the season, particularly given your statement that your racing season is coming up.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-10-10, 07:39 AM
Prairie Native

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm. Im probably taking just these two off. I havent had a day off the bike in 2 weeks. Im not sure how big of a hole im in, if any, but on saturday's ride i just felt like a bag of smashed ass. Im jumping right back on it on tuesday. This is my first "real" year of biking and I have around 800 miles total on the bike. Not a lot by others standards but a lot for me, especially because I was sick at the beggining of this year and didnt ride until fairly recently. Im starting to get them "legs"...hells yeah.
Old 05-10-10, 08:08 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP.. With a total of only 800 miles in your legs... I would say you're over doing it based on what you wrote above. I'm guessing a break is a good idea.

It takes time to build a base.
Old 05-10-10, 08:20 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Given the 14 consecutive days of riding, I think you would benefit from an easy week. That doesn't mean a week of just recovery rides though.

You might do well by cutting your volume a third, but still do some intensity, such as an hour Tuesday with 6-10 sprints, an hour or two of endurance Wednesday, An hour Thursday with 5- 6 one minute intervals, then a recovery ride Friday.

And do buy Friel's book, or one of Carmichael's.
Old 05-10-10, 10:26 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
All of this depends on how much base you have, how long you've been training, the training loads you are used to handling, and the stresses on your system other than riding (i.e. work family school etc.)

That said, I doubt you need to take 2-3 days off the bike because you just did 2 days with some intensity, and one day with some distance.

My typical week is riding 6 days a week, one off day, 3-4 days with either intervals, racing or a competitive group ride, and one day with a recovery ride. I would say that's a pretty typical schedule for a lot of racers.

You also want to build in some easy weeks. Thus my schedule is built around 4 weeks cycles, with an easy week, then the next 3 weeks getting progressively harder until the next easy week.

Unless you've put yourself in a serious deficit, I really doubt you need to be taking 2-3 days off the bike at this point in the season, particularly given your statement that your racing season is coming up.
you are absolutely right, but you probably also have years of base to back up the 3-4 days of hard workouts. OP, since you are just starting, building base is what you need, and you probably won't be able to do the stuff (3-4 hard workouts/week) that merlin could. and while you are building base, don't ever go into threshold, and heck, try not even get into low tempo as that might erode your base.

Last edited by echappist; 05-10-10 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 10:46 AM
shelleyspins
runs with scissors

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Helium, '07 Cervelo Soloist Team Ed, 1993 Klein Stage Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
you are absolutely right, but you probably also have years of base to back up the 3-4 days of hard workouts. OP, since you are just starting, building base is what you need, and you probably won't be able to do the stuff (3-4 hard workouts/week) that merlin could. and while you are building base, don't ever go into threshold, and heck, try not even get into low tempo as that might erode your base.
Very good advice but if you're truly training for the season's races then you won't have time. after season though invest a good 6 weeks of riding well below threshold.

For now, make sure your "easy" days really are easy - no more than 80% of your Anaerobic Threshold: able to breath through your nose and comfortably carry on a long conversation, you're holding back. FWIW I never really wear my HR monitor on my hard days, I always use it on my easy days.
Old 05-10-10, 11:53 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fwiw, i find that the fitter i get, the longer it takes me to warm up. given that 8 miles = <30 minutes, that's a pretty typical warm up, no?

also, you dont provide any information about what you're actually doing for training in terms of volume, intensity, what is a "quick" group ride, how long are the hills you're repeating, what do you mean by "intervals".

just based on the tone of your question, i suspect you're new to riding, racing, training for racing, and are making typical noob errors. these typically are solo rides have lots of tempo or terrain based intensity riding that are too easy for real improvement but too hard to sustain and do your other workouts at optimal intensity, that your other stuff has lots of anaerobic work capacity intensity followed by low active recovery intensity/coasting. the big gap in that method of training is that you arent really doing anything that can sustainably develop your aerobic capacity (or functional threshold power).

oh, to answer your question, i really doubt overtrained, but rather under-rested. it's really hard to over train. it's not very hard to under rest.

Last edited by MDcatV; 05-10-10 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 12:14 PM
wacomme

Bikes: Vail Cycle Works - Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a power meter and quantify your training. You'll soon learn when you've overtrained.
Old 05-10-10, 12:51 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by wacomme
Get a power meter and quantify your training. You'll soon learn when you've overtrained.
Overtrained?

"There's only one rule: The guy who trains the hardest, the most, wins. Period. Because you won't die. Even though you feel like you'll die, you don't actually die. Like when you're training, you can always do one more. Always. As tired as you might think you are, you can always, always do one more."

So there's no such thing as overtraining?

"If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training," "So you weren't overtrained; you were actually undertrained to begin with. So there's the rule again: The guy who trains the hardest, the most, wins."

Of course Jack Daniels help with this program.
Old 05-10-10, 01:01 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
True overtraining is a reduction in power. In terms of weight lifting, what I read described overtraining as doing 2-a-days on the same muscle group for weeks until your 1-rep max actually decreases by 20%. That's over-training, and the cure at that time is 2-weeks rest, after which you will be stronger at 1rm than you were prior to the training period.

I don't think most of us get anywhere near clinical levels of over-training.
Old 05-10-10, 01:11 PM
wacomme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What? Overtraining is all relative, and is based on your base fitness and your recent training intensity. Someone who has never exercised can be overtrained, even with one bike ride.

Again, quantify your training. Train smart. Collect training data and use metrics to determine if YOU are over or under training.
Old 05-10-10, 01:15 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Do yourselves a favor and read this: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi22.htm
Old 05-10-10, 01:25 PM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
monday, walk the bike like a tourist.
tuesday, tempo ride
wednesday tempo ride
thursday, hard intervals
friday, more walk the bike
sat & sun ride as hard as you can on either an A or B group ride.

This is 1.5 hours during the week & 3-4 hrs on weekend days.
this give you 230-250 miles in 12-14 hours.

but please listen to your body.
what are you doing with the other 20-22 hours off the bike?
Old 05-10-10, 01:26 PM
wacomme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good read.
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Do yourselves a favor and read this: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi22.htm
Old 05-10-10, 01:35 PM
Prairie Native

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fwiw, i find that the fitter i get, the longer it takes me to warm up. given that 8 miles = <30 minutes, that's a pretty typical warm up, no?

also, you dont provide any information about what you're actually doing for training in terms of volume, intensity, what is a "quick" group ride, how long are the hills you're repeating, what do you mean by "intervals".

just based on the tone of your question, i suspect you're new to riding, racing, training for racing, and are making typical noob errors. these typically are solo rides have lots of tempo or terrain based intensity riding that are too easy for real improvement but too hard to sustain and do your other workouts at optimal intensity, that your other stuff has lots of anaerobic work capacity intensity followed by low active recovery intensity/coasting. the big gap in that method of training is that you arent really doing anything that can sustainably develop your aerobic capacity (or functional threshold power).

oh, to answer your question, i really doubt overtrained, but rather under-rested. it's really hard to over train. it's not very hard to under rest.
You seem to have me pinned. And I think I am just under rested as you say. I have a lot of late nights as a college kid...I just started hill repeats/intervals and do approx 1-2 min of REALLY hard efforts followed by 3 min recovery and I do them until fail pretty much. But before this my "hard" rides were 1-2 hours long. But in reality my "hard" rides and recovery rides were pretty much similiar in overall effort. I need to pick up a book on this. Need to wait to get paid though.

Also I have definitally found that my "warm-up" period has increased. I needed a full half hour before I felt good enough start hitting the repeats last week at 100%, but my heartrate didnt shoot through the roof like it did saturday when I was getting warm.
Old 05-10-10, 01:52 PM
Prairie Native

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, and does a diet of mostly pizza and beer become detrimental to training? i need to know about diet too. not sure what I should be eating..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.