Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Pro O.N.P. build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Pro O.N.P. build

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 12:58 PM
VeloVeg
Savor the journey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nishiki Pro O.N.P. build

I often hang out over at the Touring forum, but since I'm an oldish guy, I like all things Classic and Vintage. So I've lurked over here as well for years, only occasionally posting anything very useful or entertaining. So, this winter I purchased a Nishiki Pro O.N.P. frameset and have been busy cleaning it up and putting together a component group for her. Actually, I plan to put together 2 renditions of this old Pro. The first version is suppose to represent how the original owner might have built her up after taking possession of his new special ordered handcrafted frameset. That is, as a nicely kitted out road racing machine. I did take the liberty to use aero brake levers and cables for a cleaner look and a couple of modern, yet classic, cockpit parts--well, because I haven't found a nice Dura-Ace stem at the right price. So, please be forgiving.

The 2nd rendition of this Pro will feature a saddle swap--replacing the Selle Italia with a Brooks Team Pro along with matching brown leather bar wrap. I might possibly swap the Dura-Ace downtube shifters with bar-end shifters. We'll see.

Meanwhile, the Selle Italia ProLink saddle isn't quite period correct, but it's what I had on hand. And please forgive the brown leather toe straps, as they don't match the black saddle. But they will match the Brooks on the next rendition.

I've put together a little web page with lots of pics, a history of the Kawamura handcrafted O.N.P. frames, and the parts list for the build. Later, I'll update the site with the 2nd rendition. Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy.

Many more pics:
https://www.seeworthy.com/bicycling/b...pro/index.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pro_frame_fullsideview.jpg (99.8 KB, 583 views)
pro_driveside_full_1200.jpg (100.0 KB, 635 views)
Likes For VeloVeg:
Old 04-14-13, 01:16 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Hi Ted, what a clean and well done build, the same goes for the site! You compiled some interesting reading material there. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the ride.
Likes For Italuminium:
Old 04-14-13, 01:40 PM
plodderslusk

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Beautiful bike, I am shure it rides as nice as it looks. Had my first roadbikeride of the year today on my 87 Team Miyata. Just above freezing but that bike just puts a smile on my face. Nothing compares to the "springiness" of a well made steelframe.
Old 04-14-13, 02:35 PM
Tende

Bikes: Trek 700, 630, 520, Peugeot PRN10E, Rivendell Redwood, Raleigh Super Course 12, Motobecane Grand Tour, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So nice. Sometimes seeing such a clean (metal) bike, it seems a shame to add tires, handlebar tape and saddle.
Old 04-14-13, 02:41 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I don't mean to scare the OP but be aware that a few members have reported failures on these frames. I'd appreciate the serial number for my Nishiki database. TIA.
Old 04-14-13, 04:22 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I don't mean to scare the OP but be aware that a few members have reported failures on these frames. ...
My Karamura frame (American Eagle Semi Pro) did break at the bottom bracket, but only after 40k miles of riding.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-14-13, 04:25 PM
VeloVeg
Savor the journey

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been out working in the yard...thanks for the nice comments. It was a lot of fun to build.

T-Mar, I understand there were 2 versions of these framesets, the 0.8x0.5x0.8 frames like mine, and even thinner gauge tubing used on some frames released for criteriums. I understand some of these latter frames have failed. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Mine is definitely not a crit frame. If you can put me in touch with anyone who has experienced a failure, I'd appreciate it. Meanwhile, pending failure not withstanding, it seems like an incredible frame so far. The serial number is: NP7720016. Based on the database, I'm not really sure what year this one is. Any thoughts?
Old 04-14-13, 04:28 PM
VeloVeg
Savor the journey

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John E
My Karamura frame (American Eagle Semi Pro) did break at the bottom bracket, but only after 40k miles of riding.
Sorry yours broke, but actually that's pretty good news! Sounds like you got a few seasons of enjoyment out of her.
Old 04-14-13, 10:03 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
I don't mean to scare the OP but be aware that a few members have reported failures on these frames.
I and several teammates had ONP's racing for the Montrose (SoCal) Cycle Club. One of my buddies broke his During a race at the downtube near the shifters. Mine broke the right chainstay just ahead of the dropout JRA in the park. A few others broke tubes at the bottom bracket. It was a great rider while it lasted. I hope you get many miles from yours.
Old 04-15-13, 09:34 AM
T-Mar

The two tubeset story originates from the 1976 Bicycling review which mentions the Tange Champion Pro tubeset, while the surving ONP frames have the 0.8-0.5-0.8 seat tube decal, indicating a Tange Champion #1 tubeset. Unfortunately, it's impossible to verify the tubeset of the broken frames as they have long disappeared. Tange #1 is quite a bit beefier based on the tubing gauges.

The Bicycling article states the test frame as being a criterium model and mentions a pending road model with less aggressive geometry. This suggests a light criterium frame and a heavy road frame. howeve, I have never seen an ONP road frame. As late as 1978, Nishiki catalogs still mentioned only the criterium ONP frameset.

As for the serial number, it's interpration is pure speculation, as there have been relatively few of these that have surfaced, preventing a high degree of confidence in the analysis. It obviously doesn't fit the standard Kawamura format but that's to be expected, given that they were manufactured in a separate department. This department is almost certainly indicated by the NP prefix. A six number string is too long to be a sequential number system, as this means the eight reported craftsmen would have produced over 700, 000 frames! It's tempting to look at the first two numbers as being the year, but then another reported NP would have been built in 1972. According to the Bicycle article, this would have been two years prior to the oprganization of the new department and four years prior to commencement of commercial production! Consequently, it would appear that only the first numeral indicates the year and this is consistent with Kawamura practice, though it is a bit strange that they selected a numeral as opposed to a letter.

One other ONP serial number has the format NPyxx zzzz, the space suggesting that zzzz is the sequential numbering and that xx may represent some further stratification. What that might be remains unclear.

Last edited by T-Mar; 04-15-13 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-15-13, 11:03 AM
VeloVeg
Savor the journey

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the responses. Very much appreciated. Thanks T-Mar. I really appreciate your expertise. I realize that stating mine as "circa. 1977" is only an assumption and not an absolute fact. And thank you for all of your hard work in maintaining the database all these years.

Regardless of the O.N.P.'s history, this one is in very good condition and was a lot of fun to build up. The reason I was drawn to the Nishiki Pro was, I raced on a '79 or '80 Nishiki 'Professional' for two seasons back in the day. It came as a complete bike with a full Campy group. It was similar to the older O.N.P. models, in that it also required top tube cable guide clamps, but it might have been a completely different frame altogether--I don't know. I'm quite sure it was also Tange #1. It was a beautiful riding and handling bike and I liked it much better than my Raleigh Professional (Reynolds 531) from the mid to late '80s. It was this bike from my past that led me to the current Nishiki Pro.

The particular frame that I've just built up hasn't been in a vault all these years and shows signs that it has at least a few miles on her and with no apparent signs of failure (yet), so I'm hoping for the best. Since I'm not a racer any longer, the Pro will have a pretty easy life, as it will be rotated with my other bikes for fitness and weekend rides, and will enjoy the occasional century ride throughout the season. Again, hoping for the best.

Thanks again!
Old 04-15-13, 03:03 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by VeloVeg
...The reason I was drawn to the Nishiki Pro was, I raced on a '79 or '80 Nishiki 'Professional' for two seasons back in the day. It came as a complete bike with a full Campy group. It was similar to the older O.N.P. models, in that it also required top tube cable guide clamps, but it might have been a completely different frame altogether--I don't know. I'm quite sure it was also Tange #1. It was a beautiful riding and handling bike and I liked it much better than my Raleigh Professional (Reynolds 531) from the mid to late '80s. It was this bike from my past that led me to the current Nishiki Pro.
Yes, we've seen a couple of the circa 1980, pre-built Pros and their equivalent, the Ultimate. They might have been the end result of the ONP road frame project. However, they have had the standard Kawamura serial number format. All the special department ONP so far have fit the 1976-1978 time range and I wonder if they shut down the special department circa 1980.

Like may other Japanese and pseudo-Japanese brands, Nishiki never was able to successfully crack the upper end market. The boom era Professional weren't viewed as race worthy. Offering exclusivity in the ONP frameset probably seemed a surefire way to get the race monkey off their back but a rash of frame failures would have quickly killed enthusiasm among the racing fraternity. Next step to attract the racing crowd was to offer Campagnolo equipped models like the early 1980s Pro and Ultimate. When that didn't work they went to Italy for Columbus tubed models like the Cervino and Maxima. I have Maxima pending restoration. The great irony is that it has no serial number.
Old 07-30-13, 09:25 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
Even though last post is 3.5 months back I will add I am enjoying a 1981 Japanese built Nishiki Professional in the dark blue with contrasting red head tube. It is a tall frame around 63cm that I got as a frame and fork with Campy headset about 9 months back and built up with a mix of parts I mostly had on hand.

It is a very nice riding machine.
Surprisingly yesterday I was able to fit some true to size 700 x 32 Vittoria tires on it.
I am looking forward to a ride with the new rubber tomorrow or the next day.
As I have aged I appreciate the cush of a bit fatter tires.

I must say the beauty of VeloVeg's O.N.P. frame built up has influenced how I recently changed up the cockpit on my Professional.
I really like the look of that Dia Compe Ene stem a lot.

Good job VeloVeg.
Old 07-31-13, 10:33 AM
VeloVeg
Savor the journey

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks cooperryder for the kind words. The Dia Compe stem is a beauty. I know you're going to enjoy your Professional with the new supple rubber.

BTW, here's a pic of the latest rendition of my O.N.P. And I have to say, this is one of the sweetest riding frames I've had the privilege of pedaling. Truly amazing!

Ooops! Looks like the pic is too large, so here's a link: https://www.seeworthy.com/bicycling/b...o/leather.html
Old 07-31-13, 08:50 PM
12mphflatout

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! That is a real beaut. Terrific work.
Old 08-01-13, 06:47 AM
jstar1000
numbtoes

Bikes: 1992 Miyata 914 and Triplecross, 1984 Miyata Street runner, 1988 Miyata 710, 1987 Bridgestone 700, 1992 Specialized Cross Roads, 1992 Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Sweet, Sweet build. I love those DA brakes I have never seen that generation of brake before, they are beautiful. I have those VO rims, do you know the ERD and what length spokes were used to build them up. I had measured mine and wrote it all down but lost the paper I wrote it on. I need to go back and measure but if you know off hand I could compare notes to be sure. Actually if yours are 32 hole never mind the spoke length as mine are 36 hole. I have a Ron Cooper that is ready to go to the powder coat folks with fresh decals and all and a campy build but need to get the wheels built up and only need the spokes and nipples. I also would like to know where you got the cable housings as I would love to put those on the RC as well. Thanks for your reply. Jim.
Old 08-05-13, 06:57 AM
VeloVeg
Savor the journey

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. I love the way this bike rides. It's a very sweet frame. She puts a smile on my face every time I take her out.

Jim - Those DA brakes are DA EX with DA7400 series shoes/pads. https://www.seeworthy.com/bicycling/b...ro/vorims.html The 7400 series shoes/pads offer much better stopping power than the originals, which were small and typical of the era.

Unfortunately, I don't know the length of the spokes. I used DT Revolution spokes with DA7400 hubs and the very pretty VO PBP rims. https://www.seeworthy.com/bicycling/b.../fronthub.html And I have to say, they are some extremely nice wheels and those rims should look stunning on your RC.

The braided brake and derailleur cable is from VO. Brake: https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...able-kits.html and Derailleur: https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...able-kits.html

I hope you'll be posting some pics of the RC when it's completed. They're wonderful frames.

Last edited by VeloVeg; 08-05-13 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 07:14 AM
RubberLegs

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Beautiful ride! Cleaner than a lot of "NEW" bikes I have seen at shops!
Old 04-13-14, 10:09 PM
TriStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mean to scare the OP but be aware that a few members have reported failures on these frames. I'd appreciate the serial number for my Nishiki database. TIA.
Rode my ONP for many years 25K+ miles, no failures, Serial #1 , what I believe was the first one built
Old 02-03-17, 01:31 PM
ed b
Bike addict

Bikes: 1973 Italvega Super Speciale● 1976 Nishiki ONP● 1991 Cinelli Tamputocco● 1997 Voodoo Erzulie● 2010 Quintana Roo Special Reserve● 2013 Litespeed Ti MTB● 2015 Felt Dispatch● Benotto 26"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been riding this frame for 10 years and I weigh 92 kilos, no issue at all
btw I was just informed today that my frame is a Nishiki ONP serial NP 763 0026
Old 02-04-17, 11:39 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by ed b
I have been riding this frame for 10 years and I weigh 92 kilos, no issue at all
I need some information about this retro bike | Retrobike

"I read the news today oh boy" John Lennon: A Day in the Life.
Old 02-05-17, 08:26 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Like may other Japanese and pseudo-Japanese brands, Nishiki never was able to successfully crack the upper end market. The boom era Professional weren't viewed as race worthy. ...
Understandable, given the early 1970s Road Compe (essentially my spongy-framed Competition, but with tubular tires and CrMo forks) and other early efforts, but unfortunate, given just how good the Professional line of frames was. Your bicycle just plain looks right to me, and I am not surprised that you enjoy the way it behaves on the road. Kawamura learned and evolved very quickly during the 1970s.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-05-17, 09:47 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ed b
Do you have photos of the built-up bike? Would love to see the whole package.
Old 02-05-17, 11:49 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Kevindale
It's the subject of the following thread, though it's been repainted and the only overall photo was taken from the drive side.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...-old-bike.html
Old 02-07-17, 12:29 PM
ed b
Bike addict

Bikes: 1973 Italvega Super Speciale● 1976 Nishiki ONP● 1991 Cinelli Tamputocco● 1997 Voodoo Erzulie● 2010 Quintana Roo Special Reserve● 2013 Litespeed Ti MTB● 2015 Felt Dispatch● Benotto 26"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kevindale
don't know if you meant my pictures but here are some
Attached Images
GEDC1230.jpg (93.4 KB, 131 views)
received_1531143143580333.jpg (20.2 KB, 124 views)
WP_20150628_002.jpg (98.7 KB, 132 views)
WP_20150628_004.jpg (93.9 KB, 129 views)
WP_20150628_007.jpg (90.6 KB, 128 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.