Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pagnini Aladino mystery!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pagnini Aladino mystery!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 03:20 AM
georgica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Pagnini Aladino mystery!

Hi everyone !

Its my first post on Bikeforums, and hopefully I chose the right spot for posting this. Usually I try to find information on the internet from what's been already written rather than to ask questions, but this bike's got me real questioned, and google doesn't seem to be of much help finding info. A dutch site suggest Pagnini was a brand by Plum Vainqueur which later got rebranded to Paganini for more italian sounding. But this information seems incomplete if not mistaken. I found this bike on a local 'flea market' site. It seemed to be an "Atala" with pantographed parts but upon closer inspection under the Atala decals, the shadows of the former Pagnini decals can be observed, not mentioning the pantographed seat stays with Pagnini. Crankset has the big chain ring branded with Pagnini Aladino, shifters are drilled and painted yellow. Seatpost has a beautiful work of pantography and so does the stem (handwritten panto "Pagnini") and a flag of Italy on top. The bike is Campagnolo Nuovo Record fully equipped with tubulars and is of a very light weight for its age (9700 grams). some pictures you can see here. If You have any information on identifying this bike, its history and maybe why such interesting work of a bike is so less known. Some help of finding the coresponding decals for Pagnini would also be great. Thank You !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8128.jpg (86.9 KB, 270 views)
IMG_8130.jpg (86.5 KB, 265 views)
IMG_8131.jpg (83.6 KB, 266 views)
IMG_8132.jpg (83.5 KB, 262 views)
IMG_8133.jpg (84.3 KB, 262 views)
IMG_8134.jpg (85.6 KB, 257 views)
IMG_8135.jpg (80.2 KB, 259 views)
IMG_8136.jpg (88.3 KB, 261 views)
IMG_8137.jpg (81.5 KB, 263 views)
IMG_8138.jpg (80.1 KB, 256 views)
IMG_8139.jpg (85.2 KB, 257 views)
IMG_8140.jpg (96.8 KB, 245 views)
Likes For georgica:
Old 10-29-13, 04:13 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Cheers georgica, welcome to Bike Forums.

I'm moving this to Classic & Vintage (from Introductions) where you will get better replies to your questions.

--Juha, a Forum Mod

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Likes For Juha:
Old 10-29-13, 07:54 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
First of all, welcome and my compliments for your nice pictures.

Nice bike, I've heard the story before about it being a Dutch brand that is made to sound Italian. A LBS here has a nice one in great condition on display, owned by the shop owner (for sale now actually). His is full Campagnolo Nuovo Record, as your bike likely was before the bars were swapped out for those Leader bars (this bike deserves drop bars!)

Your bike has been badly re-decaled: the Columbus sticker is actually made for a front fork! Replacement decals will be hard to find, but as the outlines of the old decals are still pretty traceable underneath it's possible to get a printing shop to make replacements.
Likes For Italuminium:
Old 10-29-13, 09:04 AM
Lacumo
Endangered Serotta Rider

Bikes: 2005 Serotta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to BF!
Likes For Lacumo:
Old 10-29-13, 09:11 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 783 Posts
There's two brands (AFAIK) that are confused: one is this Pagnini (Aladino) and judging by the fleur-de-lys it may be from Florence (Firenze) or nearby.
The other is Paganini and this is the brand associated with Plum Vanquer and often made in Italy (by a contractor like Billato) for sale by that shop in Benelux...also a very nice frame but I think this Pagnini may be a little nicer.
At least that's how I understand it...in either case, not an Atala (and that Columbus seat tube decal belongs on the fork blade!)
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 10-31-13, 01:24 AM
georgica

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Thanks so much for the replies I didn't expect so quick to appear. And thanks also for the welcome messages. Its odd I havn't used bike forums (nor other forums) before, but it feels well so far .

I added the rest of the photos that I consider revealing about the Pagnini bike. I'm excited by the idea that this bike might be italian pure blood after all the confusion with Paganini. I like the idea with the Fleur-de-Lys and Florence.

Can I see the pictures of the lbs(what's that?) that has one in top condition? I have found only one Pagnini on the internet, belonging to a guy in Holland, Piete i believe , a collector, I found the images on Italienische race fietsen blog .

It would be of maximum utility if one of those Pagnini owners could photograph (as perpendicular as possible) the head tube decals, and the down tube / seat tube decals. I have a friend who might be able to help me re build them.
Attached Images
IMG_8146.jpg (95.5 KB, 462 views)
IMG_8152.jpg (87.5 KB, 462 views)
IMG_8153.jpg (79.7 KB, 461 views)
IMG_8154.jpg (81.8 KB, 460 views)
IMG_8162.jpg (85.5 KB, 461 views)
IMG_8165.jpg (97.4 KB, 477 views)
Old 10-31-13, 09:14 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

there was one mention of a Pagnini that was sold to a member of the CR List by another member who lives in (or near) Firenze. The seller didn't know much about the frame but he bought it in Firenze (Florence), so the "fleur" is very likely a symbol of its place of origin.
LBS is a Local Bike Shop.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 11-01-13, 09:58 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Some more interesting details are the fact that it has over-BB-cable routing for the RD yet a FD tab and recessed Allen-bolt brakes plus the driveside dropout does not seem to have the portacatena holes.
This is a transition-period ('70s to '80s)and you might be able to determine the year it was made pretty closely if you research those parts.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 08-06-16, 08:34 AM
Geekride

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

I bought a Pagnini also havé not received It yét
Old 07-20-19, 11:18 PM
Cwurfel

Bikes: 1977 Colnago, 1976 Bob Jackson, 1978 Pagnini

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Pagnini bike

I also have a Pagnini bike (Aladino) properly decaled and it’s fantastic
Old 07-21-19, 04:59 AM
Munny

Bikes: 50 ? More?

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I started to read before realizing that this is an old content surfacing again.

This has nothing to do with the Paganini belgian brand (many belgian but Italian sounding brands in that period)
I was surprise to see the frame looking like a Viner
Old 07-21-19, 10:59 PM
Cwurfel

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Pagnini

This system will not post my photo because it says I didn’t post enough but I have many photos of a much nicer example of the Pagnini along with a photo of the man I believe may be Aladino Pagnini
if anyone want I could email them.

carl
Old 07-22-19, 01:38 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by Cwurfel
This system will not post my photo because it says I didn’t post enough but I have many photos of a much nicer example of the Pagnini along with a photo of the man I believe may be Aladino Pagnini
if anyone want I could email them.

carl
Or just do 7 more posts and you can upload all your photos (which we'd love to see).
Old 07-22-19, 08:51 AM
Cwurfel

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Pagnini

Ok thanks
Old 07-22-19, 08:52 AM
Cwurfel

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Pagnini

ok thank you
Old 07-22-19, 05:01 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
OT, but this just literally hit me when looming at pics of the beautifully detailed topic bike.
Is it just me, or are these elaboratively pantographed and chromed Italian C&V bikes are starting to look and feel like something we consider as "Victorian"??

Not meant to be a negative comment. Just a sort of new perception I'm seeming to develop on the aesthetics on such bikes.

Additionally, I'm really understanding now why my avid cyclist nephew, who owns/rides an uber CF disc brakes Canyon, might never develop the taste for our C&V steel bikes like the topic bike. All the chrome, fancy paint, decals and pantographing must look really superfluous to him.

So, most likely, we are "it" for any substantial numbers of people that will really appreciate these classic steel bikes. I just wonder where all our bikes will end up when we're all gone. Sure the really riveted stuff like Masis and Colnagos will find a place in the heart of some future collectors, but what happens to the Olmos, Vitus, ALANS, Bennottos, and the "regular" Peugeots and Gitanes. As it is, really nice bike that just happen to have unfamiliar names are finding it hard to attract enough people.

Last edited by Chombi1; 07-22-19 at 05:10 PM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 07-24-19, 03:34 PM
Cwurfel

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Pagnini

Ok we are I believe this could be one of very few, as my theory is that he was a racer who started and stopped at bike building.

Likes For Cwurfel:
Old 07-24-19, 03:43 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Trying to make it in the bike building business might have been quite a challenge in Italy, as there were so many of them. I suspect that many builders ran small fly by night operations that just came and went very quickly, because of this be cause the business was just too hard to sustain.
Only thing that can make it easier is if one managed to set up marketing and sales to other countries like the US, in enough volumes, and not many people were capable of setting those up.
Old 07-24-19, 07:00 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Fascinating that yours has the same pearl white paint and pantographed chainrings and seatpost as the OP's "Atala" re-brand, same blue-in-painted lug and BB shell piercings, plus it even has the "mistake" fork blade decal on the seat tube and the same style cut-away Campy shift levers! TWINS!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 07-25-19, 12:18 AM
Cwurfel

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Pagnini

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Fascinating that yours has the same pearl white paint and pantographed chainrings and seatpost as the OP's "Atala" re-brand, same blue-in-painted lug and BB shell piercings, plus it even has the "mistake" fork blade decal on the seat tube and the same style cut-away Campy shift levers! TWINS!
Yes same thing on that fork decal, extremely strange who knows why, there is so much detail here I can’t imagine someone made up Pagnini.. if that’s what you are thinking, like for what? And even detail the stay? Not likely.
Likes For Cwurfel:
Old 07-25-19, 10:27 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Nope I was just thinking these 2 must have been the same model (maybe the ONLY model) and built right around the same time to have all these details in common. I wonder who was the contractor who made them (looks like high-quality Italian building and detailing), we may never know?
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 07-28-19, 07:21 PM
Cwurfel

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Nope I was just thinking these 2 must have been the same model (maybe the ONLY model) and built right around the same time to have all these details in common. I wonder who was the contractor who made them (looks like high-quality Italian building and detailing), we may never know?
It just hit me that you said Contractor... that’s right it’s highly likely that this guy had these bikes built under his name and wanted them to be a certain level of build.
i would love to know who it could be near Florence.

Old 07-28-19, 07:31 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Cwurfel
Ok we are I believe this could be one of very few, as my theory is that he was a racer who started and stopped at bike building.
I've been all over the internet and can't find these pictures. https://ciclisti.eu is dead. How old are these pictures and where do they come from?

Going by your previous posts, I'm assuming this is your bike, but there's something I can't ignore:

It's the same bike. For everyone else trying to comprehend what I just postulated, just look at those small nicks in the top tube paint. They're present in the same locations on the OP's as-seen-on-the-online-flea-market-ad Pagnini:

Pantographing is identical too, including the inconsistencies, and I've never seen someone paint the knuckles of an NR to make it look like a first-gen Super Record RD.

Usually, bikes go from Craigslist to white backgrounds, not the other way around. It would be interesting to know what happened in this bike's life for it to fall down the totem pole...

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-28-19 at 07:52 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-29-19, 12:14 AM
Cwurfel

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Wow looks like this guy also picked up a Matollini bike maybe he flipped it.
its still weird though, I guess it means he made up the decals and sold it to me, not very profitable in my opinion.
but I guess if your broke...
doesnt help me understand what a Pagnini is.
Old 07-29-19, 12:27 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
So, most likely, we are "it" for any substantial numbers of people that will really appreciate these classic steel bikes. I just wonder where all our bikes will end up when we're all gone. Sure the really riveted stuff like Masis and Colnagos will find a place in the heart of some future collectors, but what happens to the Olmos, Vitus, ALANS, Bennottos, and the "regular" Peugeots and Gitanes. As it is, really nice bike that just happen to have unfamiliar names are finding it hard to attract enough people.
College campus bike racks is my wild guess

DD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.