Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this dented aluminum frame safe?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is this dented aluminum frame safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-21, 08:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
It's someone else's problem right now. I would keep it that way unless it's so cheap you can replace the frame.
That's unlikely to be the case.

That dent is sharp enough that it's liable to crack. And it might not take long.
There is nothing you can do about it. Pulling out the dent will just make it more likely to crack.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-07-21, 10:09 AM
milesglink

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Do not buy it, my opinion.
absolutely don’t buy that bike
Old 02-07-21, 06:38 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 133 Posts
Such a lot of BS in these responses. Top tube dents like this one are cosmetic. I challenge anyone to find a photo of a frame, aluminum or steel, that has failed as a result of a top tube dent. It will last until you don't want to ride it anymore. No, there is no fix, other than Bondo, and then you would have to paint the frame. Paintless dent repair is a non-starter--it's just not for this application. No one is going to replace a tube in a frame like this, especially to fix a cosmetic issue.
The real problem is that no one loves a dented frame except the seller, and that love turns to relief as soon as he's got the cash in his hand. Every time you look down at the dent you'll notice it and wish it wasn't there. When it comes time to sell it, you'll be facing the same problem--that no one loves a bike with a dented frame.
As noted in some of the few useful replies you've received, the value is in the parts. Ask yourself "Do I like this bike enough to ride it a while and look around for another frame to use as a transplant? Do I have the skills and tools to do the work myself? Is the price cheap enough to make this all worthwhile?" If the answer to any of these questions is "no" then keep looking for another bike. The real value in that dent is it makes the bike less attractive to thieves, but they can still go after your parts, or kick the bike out of spite. On the other hand, if you can get the bike dirt cheap, and it is otherwise what you want in terms of style and fit, you can wrap some tape around the dent like a fixie of a decade ago, and think of yourself as just being perpetually cool.

Last edited by sbarner; 02-07-21 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-08-21, 05:39 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Dented frame

Originally Posted by sbarner
Such a lot of BS in these responses. Top tube dents like this one are cosmetic. I challenge anyone to find a photo of a frame, aluminum or steel, that has failed as a result of a top tube dent. It will last until you don't want to ride it anymore. No, there is no fix, other than Bondo, and then you would have to paint the frame. Paintless dent repair is a non-starter--it's just not for this application. No one is going to replace a tube in a frame like this, especially to fix a cosmetic issue.
The real problem is that no one loves a dented frame except the seller, and that love turns to relief as soon as he's got the cash in his hand. Every time you look down at the dent you'll notice it and wish it wasn't there. When it comes time to sell it, you'll be facing the same problem--that no one loves a bike with a dented frame.
As noted in some of the few useful replies you've received, the value is in the parts. Ask yourself "Do I like this bike enough to ride it a while and look around for another frame to use as a transplant? Do I have the skills and tools to do the work myself? Is the price cheap enough to make this all worthwhile?" If the answer to any of these questions is "no" then keep looking for another bike. The real value in that dent is it makes the bike less attractive to thieves, but they can still go after your parts, or kick the bike out of spite. On the other hand, if you can get the bike dirt cheap, and it is otherwise what you want in terms of style and fit, you can wrap some tape around the dent like a fixie of a decade ago, and think of yourself as just being perpetually cool.
Would like to know about the components. Also, what is the price of the bike. Personally, I would not be afraid of that dent.
Old 02-08-21, 05:49 PM
milesglink

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
That’s because people who ride aluminum bikes with top tube dents may not be alive to take pictures. You can buy cheap aluminum frames without dents.
Old 02-08-21, 07:14 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I definitely would not buy that frame. The odds are that nothing will happen, but the thought of the frame cracking or bending would always be in the back of my mind while descending big hills. For me, it wouldn't be worth it at any price, just to have the peace of mind. As someone else said, it's not that hard to find cheap used aluminum frames without big dents in them.
Old 02-08-21, 09:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
I definitely would not buy that frame. The odds are that nothing will happen, but the thought of the frame cracking or bending would always be in the back of my mind while descending big hills. For me, it wouldn't be worth it at any price, just to have the peace of mind. As someone else said, it's not that hard to find cheap used aluminum frames without big dents in them.
You forgot to read sbarner 's post where they basically said it wouldn't ever crack or bend or have any issues ever and it is just a tiny little cosmetic imperfection.

Aluminum never gets stress risers and never has issues.
Old 02-08-21, 09:44 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
The dripper put this thing to bed days ago.