Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Paint thinner to clean chain?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Paint thinner to clean chain?

Old 02-20-21, 10:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
A blast from the past....... Can we leave it there?
Old 02-20-21, 01:48 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Sorry to put this thread to bed, but immerse chain in 2 liter bottle of kerosene, swish around, hand-up and let dry in the sun, re-lube, install and go. Remember, a chain is a consumable, and it doesn't need to last another 30 tears.
Old 02-20-21, 04:24 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that some of the same people who recommend using paint thinner or kerosene on their chains are some of the same who will tell you to squirt a bunch of povidone iodine on your road rash.
Likes For travelerman:
Old 02-20-21, 06:15 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I too will take a stab in the dark and suggest you are unable to bring a chain cleaning solution to the table. Been using kerosene for 40 years for cleaning and have never had a chain failure. Not uncommon to get over 5K on a chain. And to add insult to injury I use whatever lube I have on hand, including used motor oil.
Oh the Humanity.
Old 02-21-21, 10:49 AM
czero8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you are a nature lover you'd probably be avoiding this, there are other eco-friendly options out there. But if you are not go on ahead, just properly dispose the chemical after use(flammable).
Old 02-22-21, 05:40 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Mineral spirits won't hurt a carbon fiber frame. I switched to crown brand camp stove fuel from Walmart because it's far less expensive and dries faster. I also use it to make my paraffin base liquid chain lube.
Do you use to bath your chain into hot wax, or the wax+fuel stay liquid? I'm trying to make a liquid lube that dries fast. With the paint thinner works fine but I'm in fear for the frame.
Old 02-22-21, 09:24 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Parrafin will dissolve completely, with 4-6 parts naphtha/camp stove fuel. It is temperature sensitive. Below about 75F it will start to turn into a mush and the dispensing bottle needs to be warmed in a bath of hot tap water. A cold chain will also cause it solidify. I put 20-30% gear lube in the melted paraffin, before mixing with the solvent.

Too bad a few seconds in the microwave won't heat it up. The solvent won't get hot, like water does.
Old 02-22-21, 09:31 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/simple-All-Pu.../dp/B000M2SHHO
Old 02-22-21, 10:45 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
No water soluble cleaner for me. Getting rid of the water prior to lubing would be a pain and an invitation for rust to start. I use several chains in a rotation, so I can let a solvent cleaned chain hang for a day or two to dry before lubing it and placing on the hanger with all of the other ready to use chains.
Old 05-19-21, 03:20 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Ok experts here's my question: So I got these two from the hardware store. Which one should I use? Or should I use both? If yes, in which order. My chain is not super dirty btw. I wipe it off after every ride. Not a ton of gunk on it.

Also, should I strip off the factory lube on the new Shimano chain and re-lube it with Squirt?

Old 05-19-21, 04:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Ok experts here's my question: So I got these two from the hardware store. Which one should I use? Or should I use both? If yes, in which order. My chain is not super dirty btw. I wipe it off after every ride. Not a ton of gunk on it.

Also, should I strip off the factory lube on the new Shimano chain and re-lube it with Squirt?

You have the 2 ingredients mentioned in this cleaning process for a new chain.. though your "Denatured Alcohol" is the "Green" variety.. I can't say how or if this is any different than non-"Green" denatured alcohol.
https://moltenspeedwax.com/pages/clean-your-chain
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-19-21, 04:56 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist

Also, should I strip off the factory lube on the new Shimano chain and re-lube it with squirt
Absolutely. It needs to be fully degreased before applying Squirt.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-20-21, 04:14 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You have the 2 ingredients mentioned in this cleaning process for a new chain.. though your "Denatured Alcohol" is the "Green" variety.. I can't say how or if this is any different than non-"Green" denatured alcohol.
https://moltenspeedwax.com/pages/clean-your-chain
Thanks for the link, good stuff. I will also get the non-green denatured alcohol to be on the safe side.
Old 05-20-21, 05:46 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
As for the bio-degradable stuff, cyclingtom is right on the money!
And while the cleaning solution may ostensibly be "biodegradable," the stuff you're cleaning off your chain likely isn't, so the biodegradability of the cleaner becomes moot.

I like to use "oderless mineral spirits" (aka "OMS," and despite the name, it's not "odorless") to clean my chains, but I understand there are some jurisdictions where it is not available. OMS has the advantage that it can be re-used multiple times. Collect the dirty solution in a container and let it sit. The particulates will settle to the bottom, and you can decant clean OMS off the top to use again.

While I wouldn't use any chemical without gloves (nitrile ones are good, latex less so), I would be doubly careful with the biodegradable solvents.
And vinyl gloves are even worse. They dissolve almost instantly in OMS.
Likes For JohnDThompson: