Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old school add-ons

Old 06-08-22, 05:18 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Old school add-ons

I don't have a smart phone. At this point just have reflectors on the bike, front back and side on the wheels. 27 inch wheel Motobecane from the 70s, good shape, xl.

Back in those days we had wheel driven mileage meters, as well as speedometers, etc. some people mounted on the front. An odometer would be nice, any recommendations on that?
Old 06-08-22, 06:22 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Get a phone! Not only can you call for help(if needed) but there are apps that replace all those clamped on devices. I like Strava. The free app is usually good enough, records your average speed, mileage and maps the routes via satellite imagery. Segments on your route may have “KOM” or “QOM” ( King of the Mountain/ Queen of the Mountain) recorded times to beat. Nothing to add to your bike except a decent phone mount.

Last edited by elcraft; 06-08-22 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-08-22, 06:24 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
If you simply want distance/speed data and are after something a little stylish for your bike, the Cateye "Quick" may fit the bill.

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products...ers/CC-RS100W/

Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 06-08-22, 07:12 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
I'd suggest a Huret Multito, but that's been out of production for probably 40 years.

For something still being made, I've been very happy with the basic Cateye wired computers. One such model is their Velo 7.
https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/computers/

These tell you speed, odometer, and some other stuff that I don't bother with. The instructions aren't the clearest, but these are easy to use and extremely reliable!
I've got Cateye Mity (the earlier equivalent) that are at least 10 years old and run about 7 years on a battery.

Steve in Peoria
(I'm also using an Avocet 20 on one bike, but it's been out of production for 30 years or so)
Old 06-08-22, 08:03 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
We have come a long ways since the days of the Huret wheel revolution counter. Even a cheap sub-$10 wired computer will give you more than you want and if properly calibrated for wheel circumference is amazingly accurate. I've given a few of these away as gifts for someone who just wanted to know how fast they were going and how far. Can't beat the price https://www.ebay.com/itm/274493634334.

I look back fondly on owning a 1973 Motobecane Le Champion road bike for several decades. I gave it away a few years ago when riding such a beast just became too painful. However, nothing beats the comfort of a recumbent though it is certainly not as fast as the Le Champion was.
Old 06-13-22, 06:17 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts

LED retrofit bulbs for old bicycle lights, get ten times more light

You might want to upgrade to LED for the old dynamo lights, check out this site:

NICELITE SUPER LED LIGHT BULBS
Old 06-14-22, 07:06 PM
TLit

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
We have come a long ways since the days of the Huret wheel revolution counter. Even a cheap sub-$10 wired computer will give you more than you want and if properly calibrated for wheel circumference is amazingly accurate. I've given a few of these away as gifts for someone who just wanted to know how fast they were going and how far. Can't beat the price https://www.ebay.com/itm/274493634334.

I look back fondly on owning a 1973 Motobecane Le Champion road bike for several decades. I gave it away a few years ago when riding such a beast just became too painful. However, nothing beats the comfort of a recumbent though it is certainly not as fast as the Le Champion was.
I've been getting good use out of my mid 70s Motobecane. No real complaints. Since I never really gave proper thought to upgrades and investing in bikes when I didn't have a lot of money, I may be a little like the proverbial old dog. I don't find it uncomfortable, though I see how the handlebars can stress the hands.

There was a scout leader back in the 70s, Rick who did cross country bike rides and complained about the stress on his hands, like carpal tunnel.
Old 06-15-22, 06:27 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Just how old school do you wish to go ? <Click

Barry
Old 06-16-22, 11:54 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
You don't need a smartphone. You don't need an odometer. Just like you don't need skinny tires. See, even people with 700 wheels went from 23mm, to 25mm, and now 28mm and the next thing you know, 1-1/4" will be the hot thing again and your 27's have been there all this time. Reflectors are fine if you get caught out riding at dusk or something, but if you ride in traffic or roads with motor vehicles during daylight, especially in the shadows, you might want a rear light.

Odometers and bike computers are for people who are concerned with distances, rates, and times. They're the ones who used to have second hands on their watches, because they were concerned with things like the precise timing of bus schedules or something. Then they got the digital watches so they could count tenths of a second. Nowadays, their smartphones keep a record of all those tenths and hundredths of a second and the GPS location too. You could get your accountant one if he didn't already have one. He was the guy with the calculator watch back in the eighties.

The only add-ons you might need are a bell, fenders, and a mirror, besides a bag and any necessary rack but that depends entirely on what you need to carry along. Again, a rear light might also be useful to help out drivers these days.
Old 06-24-22, 08:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I think it's up to the individual to decide what they need. I mean of course this should go without saying, yet people here are saying other things.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.