Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 09:59 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Very few people start using them and then stop, FWIW.
Originally Posted by datlas
Correct. It's not clear that reducing the friction in the system downstream from the shifter would improve cable life, but that's possible.
when the cable comes out is all covered in black slime like it's grinding itself to death? Or just a bunch of frayed wires? If it's all black and slimy. It's rubbing on something and lubrication may help. If it's just frayed wires, I would try the shimano coated D/a cables. And just change them every few months.
Old 08-01-22, 10:06 AM
ls01
he said member

I was talking about my broken cable curse on today's ride, and one my my friends told me I should just get what he has.

He has a bike with SRAM eTap, and yes it is caliper brake supported. I suppose I could do this, but it seems effing stupid to pay three thousand dollars and get a bunch of battery headaches to solve my fairly simple problem.

again
e tap is what I have on the 16 now rather than axs. It's getting tough to find because it's discontinued. Last set I saw was $1800.00 for shifters and derailluers
Old 08-01-22, 10:07 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
BRAND NEW Ultegra R8000 groupset with all new shimano cables and housing. I did it by the book. I am suspicious that I must just be shifting way more than the average bear.

I don't count but I suspect I shift a thousand times ore more on one ride.
I can't imagine you are shifting more than I do. I'm searching for that granny gear on most climbs, and all rides here involve climbing.
I have about 35K miles on the Gunnar, with 6600 Ultegra triple. I may have broken 2 rear cables while riding. I think I did replace the last one preemptively.

I have over 50K miles on the Seven with Chorus. Broke 2 rears and 1 front while riding and I did put new on both ends preemptively last year. So 4 rear cables in 50K and the 4th one is still on there. Never replaced the housings on either bike.

My CAAD5 had about 35K when I sold it. It was 9 speed Ultegra triple and I'm pretty sure I only broke 2 cables (rear) on that one.

My last downtube shifter bike I put the DA cable on the rear and never broke it. Those dt shifters didn't fray the cable as often.
Old 08-01-22, 10:11 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12764 Post(s)
Liked 7,678 Times in 4,074 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Down tube shifters for the win. A very fast learning curve.
Or bar end shifters. More paracido to brifters.
Or even 9-speed. This reminds me I should set up an eBay search for hoods so I can get some replacements in the store room.

Old 08-01-22, 10:12 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Also that it's time to wash the existing hoods.
Old 08-01-22, 10:13 AM
big john

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Or even 9-speed. This reminds me I should set up an eBay search for hoods so I can get some replacements in the store room.
I bought some for my 10 speed Ultegra and several sources had them. Shimano calls them "bracket covers".
Old 08-01-22, 10:20 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Has Benson been paddleboarding? Apparently large fluffy dogs enjoy it.

Old 08-01-22, 10:22 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by big john
I bought some for my 10 speed Ultegra and several sources had them. Shimano calls them "bracket covers".
Bracket covers of course, what else would they be called?
Old 08-01-22, 10:39 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22592 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I do assume that comes with all the climbing you do. However, I'd love to hear Shimano say "you're shifting it wrong" or "you're really only supposed to shift X times per hour". That would play really well.
I am TOLD there was a service bulletin that came out from Shimano suggesting change RD cable every 1000 miles. That would solve my problem but NFW I am changing a cable every 6 weeks.
Old 08-01-22, 10:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I can't imagine you are shifting more than I do. I'm searching for that granny gear on most climbs, and all rides here involve climbing.
I have about 35K miles on the Gunnar, with 6600 Ultegra triple. I may have broken 2 rear cables while riding. I think I did replace the last one preemptively.

I have over 50K miles on the Seven with Chorus. Broke 2 rears and 1 front while riding and I did put new on both ends preemptively last year. So 4 rear cables in 50K and the 4th one is still on there. Never replaced the housings on either bike.

My CAAD5 had about 35K when I sold it. It was 9 speed Ultegra triple and I'm pretty sure I only broke 2 cables (rear) on that one.

My last downtube shifter bike I put the DA cable on the rear and never broke it. Those dt shifters didn't fray the cable as often.
To review:

The problem with Shimano RD cable breakage seems to have started with their "Under the Bar Tape" shifters which put the cable through a much tighter turn radius than previous shifters.

My cable breaks occur despite using Shimano D-A or Ultegra PFTE coated cables.

I am sure if I went to DT shifters or even poke-out-the-side shifters I would not have this problem, but that's not necessarily realistic.

I am sure if I went to Etap this would solve the problem, but it's a $3000 fix which is not cost-effective.
Old 08-01-22, 10:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by ls01
when the cable comes out is all covered in black slime like it's grinding itself to death? Or just a bunch of frayed wires? If it's all black and slimy. It's rubbing on something and lubrication may help. If it's just frayed wires, I would try the shimano coated D/a cables. And just change them every few months.
See above. Just frayed wires. I could just swap out a new cable every 2 months but that is ridiculous IMO.
Old 08-01-22, 10:48 AM
ls01
he said member

Battery chewing and missed shifts, primarily. Enough reports that I'd never be willing to switch. Even DCR started one of his trainer review videos with a sudden exclamation that the shifter batteries are always dying.
That has not been my experience. I love Sram equipment. I use it pretty much exclusively. The shifter battery dying thing can be caused by using batteries that have a "bitter" coating on them to keep Children from putting them in thier mouths. I've never experienced it just read about it. I'm sure axs Red is way lighter than force, But I have found e tap Red is just fine for me.
Old 08-01-22, 10:49 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I am TOLD there was a service bulletin that came out from Shimano suggesting change RD cable every 1000 miles. That would solve my problem but NFW I am changing a cable every 6 weeks.
Great solution.
Old 08-01-22, 10:51 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
That has not been my experience. I love Sram equipment. I use it pretty much exclusively. The shifter battery dying thing can be caused by using batteries that have a "bitter" coating on them to keep Children from putting them in thier mouths. I've never experienced it just read about it. I'm sure axs Red is way lighter than force, But I have found e tap Red is just fine for me.
He wrote a post about those coatings when they came out, so I doubt that's his issue. Enough people whose opinions I respect dislike it that I would be very hesitant to have my wife use it.
Old 08-01-22, 10:51 AM
big john

To review:

The problem with Shimano RD cable breakage seems to have started with their "Under the Bar Tape" shifters which put the cable through a much tighter turn radius than previous shifters.

My cable breaks occur despite using Shimano D-A or Ultegra PFTE coated cables.

I am sure if I went to DT shifters or even poke-out-the-side shifters I would not have this problem, but that's not necessarily realistic.

I am sure if I went to Etap this would solve the problem, but it's a $3000 fix which is not cost-effective.
The Chorus is under the tape and it seems the rear cable lasts about 10k miles.

I was just thinking about the cables I have replaced, not suggesting you try those shifters. What I did suggest is trying the Jagwire cables. It's worth a shot, no?

I read your thread in the mechanic forum and people seem to think it's normal. Maybe not as bad as your issue but the cables don't seem to last very long. In the pic you posted the cable looks greasy.

Some guy said he was using an aftermarket cable with good results, so far.

Last edited by big john; 08-01-22 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-01-22, 11:02 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
See above. Just frayed wires. I could just swap out a new cable every 2 months but that is ridiculous IMO.
You just need more bikes.

BTW, my Canyon, which has 7000 series 105 - so same basic stuff as R8000 - has gone 2 years and 4200 miles (real and virtual) on the original cables. I have had no shifting issues, either, so I think the cables are probably fine. I should probably replace them soon, but I'm concerned it might be fiddly, what with internal routing and all. Hopefully, there's cable liner the whole way. I know some bikes with internal routing require you to feed the cable through guides under the BB, and if you don't you might end up sawing through the spindle.

Litespeed's only gone about 650 miles with the Ultegra kit, so I'll keep an eye on it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-01-22, 11:07 AM
ls01
he said member

Saturday was the first time I ever abandoned a ride and went home. I couldn't hang on the first climb. They went way too fast for me, wasn't even warmed up yet. They didn't wait either. That left trailing off the back. They finally stopped at the first turn. I wished them well and split for home. I don't want to hold people back. But then again I didn't come out to ride alone for 80 miles and 3200 ft of climbing either. Just didnt feel like it would have been fun. I did my Belle isle ride from home and back instead.

Last edited by ls01; 08-01-22 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-01-22, 11:12 AM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by genejockey
You just need more bikes.

BTW, my Canyon, which has 7000 series 105 - so same basic stuff as R8000 - has gone 2 years and 4200 miles (real and virtual) on the original cables. I have had no shifting issues, either, so I think the cables are probably fine. I should probably replace them soon, but I'm concerned it might be fiddly, what with internal routing and all. Hopefully, there's cable liner the whole way. I know some bikes with internal routing require you to feed the cable through guides under the BB, and if you don't you might end up sawing through the spindle.

Litespeed's only gone about 650 miles with the Ultegra kit, so I'll keep an eye on it.
Linda like this?
Old 08-01-22, 11:16 AM
ls01
he said member

you need a cable that has more, finer wires in it, something supple that will follow the barrel easier. The current cables are just work hardening and breaking from the repetitive bending.
Old 08-01-22, 11:23 AM
ls01
he said member

Locally we also had 5 people on a make a wish ride hit by a drunk driver. 2 are dead, one is in an induced coma. The other 2 are injured but less so. The strange thing for me is I follow the guy in the coma on Strava by mistake. His name is Roland and I followed him instead of a different a Roland I know by mistake. Turns out he is friends with people I know. It was very weird.
Old 08-01-22, 11:37 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Stuck my hands into a bed of fire ants yesterday, and am feeling it today. About 10 bites, mostly around the webbing of my fingers.
Old 08-01-22, 11:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

The Chorus is under the tape and it seems the rear cable lasts about 10k miles.

I was just thinking about the cables I have replaced, not suggesting you try those shifters. What I did suggest is trying the Jagwire cables. It's worth a shot, no?

I read your thread in the mechanic forum and people seem to think it's normal. Maybe not as bad as your issue but the cables don't seem to last very long. In the pic you posted the cable looks greasy.

Some guy said he was using an aftermarket cable with good results, so far.
I suspect the Chorus setup does not have the same problem. This seems to be a problem with SHIMANO shifters.

I know the pic looks dirty but that's because I included the black plastic extension on the ferule/cap of the housing when I installed the cable, it was all gooey so for the replacement I got rid of that. I don't think it was a big player in the process, however. I am willing to consider other cables but have very low expectations.

see below for pics of housing ends:

I had used the lower type end initially but now using the upper one.
Old 08-01-22, 11:50 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
It's a new month. Does that mean Velo Vol will come out of hibernation??
Who?
Old 08-01-22, 11:51 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,082 Times in 3,823 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Stuck my hands into a bed of fire ants yesterday, and am feeling it today. About 10 bites, mostly around the webbing of my fingers.
Damn. I don't think we have fire ants around here, but they don't sound like a lot of fun.
Old 08-01-22, 11:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,082 Times in 3,823 Posts
Following my buddy down a sweet singletrack on Saturday, he pushed aside a thin branch sticking out into the trail as he went by. I didn't see his evasive move, and the branch swung back just in time to for me to run into it. I'm not sure what it was, but it had long thorns and left two 3 inch long slashes across my forearm that oozed blood for the last half hour of our ride. Good times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.