Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How would you make your front suspension less stiff?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 06:56 PM
DyingAndDying
RespectIsEverything

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Front suspensions are cheap so it's easier to just to be a new one, but I just want to know how you'd make the spring longer so it absorbs the impact of say riding up on a curb
Old 08-04-22, 07:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,626 Times in 2,915 Posts
Spring? Most are oil based shocks which can be adjusted by turning a dial on the top of the shock. Since you cant post a picture yet, please describe in detail what you have. The only thing I can imagine are the the old StringRay bikes with a single spring on the front fork.

Old 08-04-22, 07:41 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Coil spring/oil forks are a thing (like Rock Shox Silver 30), but they're heavy and they don’t offer much adjustment. You can’t increase the spring length, but you can buy springs of different durometers. You’re still talking lowest-common-denominator suspension, though; lighten the spring too much and you bottom out on small bumps. If you’re serious about plush travel, upgrade to an air shock, or learn to lift up the front wheel when you go over a curb. Or just htfu.

Last edited by Rolla; 08-04-22 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-04-22, 09:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,980 Times in 2,660 Posts
Cheap? My Fox 34 retails for almost 1k. My Rockshox SID is probably close to the same at retail (though that was on a big closeout and a little older and honestly I wish I had more travel). Not complaining I do love the forks but they are not cheap and at least with the Fox fork I got what I wanted.

The cheap stuff really isn't all that great and is fine for an occasional rider who doesn't really care. There are no curbs in the forest or the mountains so not sure where you are that they would exist there but if you are in an urban environment you probably don't need to go up and down curbs since you wouldn't want to ride on a sidewalk except in an emergency. However if you are looking for more comfort and adjustability you want a decent air fork, stick with known quantities like Fox, RockShox, Manitou, Marzocchi, SR Suntour (but be aware they do a lot of low end stuff as well that is cheap coil) make sure of course that the fork will fit your bike in all ways it would need to but best bet is to ask your local bike shop and they can help out or be honest and say "hey the bike isn't worth it save up for something that makes more sense".
Old 08-04-22, 09:26 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Spring? Most are oil based shocks which can be adjusted by turning a dial on the top of the shock. Since you cant post a picture yet, please describe in detail what you have. The only thing I can imagine are the the old StringRay bikes with a single spring on the front fork.
So you don't really know how suspension works, right? Something has to be the spring and it sure as hell isn't oil. It's either a coil spring or air. Coil forks and shocks have oil in them, they are dampers after all, so do air forks and shocks. It's not 'coil' vs 'oil', it's 'coil' vs 'air'.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-04-22, 09:35 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 407 Posts
Depending on the fork you either back off the spring preload or decrease the air pressure, some forks have a damping adjustment lever or knob which allows a fork to react more quickly or more slowly over bumps. You can find out all you need to know by reading the instructions which come with your fork. Online manuals are available if you don’t have your fork’s original instructions.
Old 08-04-22, 09:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,024 Times in 4,468 Posts
When he said suspensions are cheap I knew he wasn't talking about any suspension I know about.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-05-22, 09:54 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,626 Times in 2,915 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
So you don't really know how suspension works, right? Something has to be the spring and it sure as hell isn't oil. It's either a coil spring or air. Coil forks and shocks have oil in them, they are dampers after all, so do air forks and shocks. It's not 'coil' vs 'oil', it's 'coil' vs 'air'.
Hilarious response. Non doubt true but the way you said it made me laugh.

Old 08-05-22, 11:16 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by big john;
When he said suspensions are cheap I knew he wasn't talking about any suspension I know about.
Forks with coil springs are cheap. A RS Silver 30 is less than $200. You definitely don’t get what you don’t pay for, though.
Old 08-05-22, 11:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
A cold shower?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-05-22, 11:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
On the one hand many coil forks are very cheap.

OTOH, some people spend $500 to convert their air shock to coil.
Old 08-05-22, 11:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Spring? Most are oil based shocks which can be adjusted by turning a dial on the top of the shock..
I prefer water-based suspension.
Old 08-05-22, 01:14 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,024 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Forks with coil springs are cheap. A RS Silver 30 is less than $200. You definitely don’t get what you don’t pay for, though.
I had a couple elastomer forks bitd. They were cheap compared to what we have now. I bought springs and a damper kit for one of the old Manitou forks and it was actually pretty good after that. I have a 160mm Fox 36 on my bike now but it's the cheapest model. It's bigger and better than my first motorcycle fork.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-05-22, 03:23 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Hilarious response. Non doubt true but the way you said it made me laugh.
Glad it did the job!
Old 08-05-22, 04:44 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by DyingAndDying
Front suspensions are cheap so it's easier to just to be a new one, but I just want to know how you'd make the spring longer so it absorbs the impact of say riding up on a curb
Just take the spring out and stretch it. One way to do this: soak it in water for about 6 hours, and then hang to dry with a weight on the end. 5 lbs. or so is typically enough.

Re-install, and you should be good to go over any curb.