Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keep getting dropped

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Keep getting dropped

Old 08-07-22, 11:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Weed doesn't cause impairment with stoners...
Are stoners among the foremost authorities on impairment thresholds?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-07-22, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Can we just stick to the topic? This is getting in to the weeds.

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-07-22, 01:43 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9647 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I can appreciate that, John, I happen to agree. What I tire of is the whining from others . . . the usual crowd . . . who would rather criticize than go somewhere else where their "sensibilities" aren't offended.
I find him funny and entertaining, and he does provide some low hanging fruit.

But, I don’t have any sensitivities.
Old 08-07-22, 01:55 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Yes someone mentioned they bunny hopped it, I didn't even see it (was in the shade)
Roads with shady spots - especially irregular "dappled" shade - are the worst, especially fast downhills. They hide pot holes which can be treacherous for sure.

this but unironically. Id rather be outclassed and attempt to keep up than chill with a more relaxed group unless I was riding with friends casually. Riding with faster people is a great way to get fast
That's probably true at some point in a person's cycling life. For me, I ride for exercise and fun. So, I like to pick people to ride with that (1) I can keep up with (and vice versa) with a reasonable effort so that we can have a fun pace line going and (2) people I know and trust so the referenced pace line is uneventful with regards to bone-headed maneuvers or mis-communication.

RE #1 - I do like to ride with a group that I have to work hard to keep up with maybe once a week to challenge myself and to push my fitness (but at my age, that really means slowing the downward slide). But if I get dropped by any particular group because they're just at a higher level than me, I don't consider re-joining them. Why would I arrange my schedule for a group ride just to ride alone after a few miles? I can do that any time and any place and enjoy myself much more. It just doesn't meet the primary "fun" criterion.

At this stage - and I think for most riders - getting "faster" is not a goal since we don't and never plan to race. Getting some exercise on our great machines and enjoy the ride is the goal.

Last edited by Camilo; 08-07-22 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-07-22, 06:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Roads with shady spots - especially irregular "dappled" shade - are the worst, especially fast downhills. They hide pot holes which can be treacherous for sure.

Absolute worst - potholes in dappled sunlight immediately after an open stretch in full sunlight.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-07-22, 07:35 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Weird, we used to have "bicycle safety meetings" where some of us would meet up on deliveries for a weed break. Weed doesn't cause impairment with stoners, and besides that was a different day than the crash. I was stone cold sober at the time of the crash. The takeaway is don't go over your AWARENESS limit, I was trying to bridge back up when I should have just let them go
fify

your 'awareness' limit may be well below your power limit...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-07-22, 07:49 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Absolute worst - potholes in dappled sunlight immediately after an open stretch in full sunlight.
I've dealt with these on the road including but not a single worry. I'm riding with tubed Gravelking plus tires with the "plus" puncture resistant layers. Not a single flat on its entire lifespan.

I don't see the attraction of riders using fast tires on a route known for causing flats only to slow them down a lot because a few members of the group had punctures and they all had to stop.

Not to mention, it's dangerous and incredibly stupid if it's a mountain route. If you puncture on the way down, you can crash and have a major accident considering how these wannabes blast the descents thinking they're Froome or something.
Old 08-07-22, 07:51 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yes if you wave at cops.
Old 08-07-22, 08:01 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9647 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
Yes if you wave at cops.
If he buys his weed from the cops, they won’t hassle him.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-07-22, 10:59 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts

Not to mention, it's dangerous and incredibly stupid if it's a mountain route. If you puncture on the way down, you can crash and have a major accident considering how these wannabes blast the descents thinking they're Froome or something.
Don’t look now, it’s the “anybody who descends faster than I do is a pro wannabe daredevil” statement. Which is silly.

Many experienced cyclists descend mountain roads quickly. And on skinny tires, too.

In addition, a puncture is almost always manageable without crashing — assuming you have adequate bike handling skills.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-08-22, 12:32 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Don’t look now, it’s the “anybody who descends faster than I do is a pro wannabe daredevil” statement. Which is silly.

Many experienced cyclists descend mountain roads quickly. And on skinny tires, too.

In addition, a puncture is almost always manageable without crashing — assuming you have adequate bike handling skills.
I never experienced flats on descents so I have no idea. I've used puncture resistant tires ever since I've done serious rides. Wouldn't want to take my chance testing my handling skills if I get a big puncture on the descent.

I know puncture resistant tires can still puncture but the damage tends to be less dramatic compared to unprotected, low RR tires. You won't lose air all of a sudden.
Old 08-08-22, 07:26 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I never experienced flats on descents so I have no idea. I've used puncture resistant tires ever since I've done serious rides. Wouldn't want to take my chance testing my handling skills if I get a big puncture on the descent.

I know puncture resistant tires can still puncture but the damage tends to be less dramatic compared to unprotected, low RR tires. You won't lose air all of a sudden.
Puncture resistant tires are a slim deterrent against sudden loss of air pressure. A sharp rock cutting the sidewall is all it takes.

On the other hand, puncture resistant tires ride like crap.

Old 08-08-22, 01:44 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Puncture resistant tires are a slim deterrent against sudden loss of air pressure. A sharp rock cutting the sidewall is all it takes.

On the other hand, puncture resistant tires ride like crap.
It seems to work. I have the gravelking plus with bead to bead puncture protection and the sidewalls are protected as well. Just before I installed it on the rims, I felt the sidewalls and it felt twice as thick as the unprotected tire I have on another bike. Easily the heaviest set of bike tires I ever had.

I have ridden over sharp rocks littering the road after a strong downpour that wreaked havoc on another group ahead of me who were using unprotected tubeless tires. Done it a lot of times, pulled lots of glass and metal shards from the tires already. Not a single puncture. Color me impressed.

I can't tell if the tires ride like crap I never had any other tires on my bike. Handling is ok, no complaints really. Not sure how much RR makes a difference at my little weight. I descend just as fast as the others on tubeless contis if I get to the same aero posture as the others without drafting. Simply down on the drops and not doing any super tuck.

I have experienced flats on another bike I had and have learned to hate flats more than being going slower. Does not really make me slower in a group with young riders, but I tend to run out of fuel and drinks sooner than they do which means I'm going through my supplies at a faster rate probably due to working harder to keep up. Other factors are at play though like having a heavy bike, not just a heavy set of tires.
Old 08-11-22, 01:18 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Larry for President. There have been worse

Old 08-11-22, 09:48 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Heck no.. Indiana is the most brutal and uncaring possible environment (or so I hear)...

I live in Indiana , Its like the deep south with a midwest flair that also gets cold in the winter.
Old 08-11-22, 05:26 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
E-BIKE may be a good idea to stop being dropped.
Old 08-11-22, 08:02 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by eduskator
E-BIKE may be a good idea to stop being dropped.
Or a bike with hidden motor and hidden battery, AKA, "motor doping"!
Old 08-12-22, 04:53 PM
J_Chickles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
this thread is ....................... interesting , to say the least
Old 08-19-22, 10:17 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
When I am riding with a group and they accelerate to a speed that I cannot maintain or that is faster than I feel like going, I stop pedaling and "drop" them off the front. When they are far enough ahead that I am no longer with the group, I resume pedaling at my desired speed. If we are really a group, I'll meet up with them when they stop for something or other. If the group doesn't stop, well, then, I'll not see them again on that ride. If the idea is to go as fast as possible, I don't even go out with the group.
Old 08-20-22, 08:24 AM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
am I the only one who does no drop group rides?
Old 08-20-22, 10:16 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by rob214
am I the only one who does no drop group rides?
Are those no drop rides "nobody goes off the back" rides, or "we regroup often" rides?

Old 08-20-22, 11:00 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
My group is a no drop group, but in Larry’s case we might make an exception.
Old 08-20-22, 11:16 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
My group is a no drop group, but in Larry’s case we might make an exception.
that would be weird and antisocial. Is it the no shirt or no helmet? Lance doesnt wear a helmet and phil gaimon doesnt wear a shirt, would you tell them they cant ride with you?

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 08-20-22 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-20-22, 12:04 PM
koala logs
Banned.

that would be weird and antisocial. Is it the no shirt or no helmet? Lance doesnt wear a helmet and phil gamon doesnt wear a shirt, would you tell them they cant ride with you?
I don't understand why you do it. You'll get sunburn. Sunscreen feels awful on the skin and probably not a good alternative.
Old 08-20-22, 12:26 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
I don't understand why you do it. You'll get sunburn. Sunscreen feels awful on the skin and probably not a good alternative.
i dont sweat as much and dont ruin a shirt, also i like the feeling of the wind. My back is very red but its gotten used to it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.