Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shoe Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22, 05:51 PM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Shoe Inserts

For people who ride with sneakers, has anyone used steel or carbon fiber insoles?

My sneakers are fine for shorter rides but the balls of my feet hurt on 20-40 mile rides.

It would appear these insoles would stiffen my sneakers.

Last edited by bikehoco; 08-10-22 at 06:44 PM.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 08-10-22, 10:39 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Years ago, When I used strapless toe clips on cage-type pedals I used spring steel and bonded foam insole inserts inside soft-soled walking shoes (sneakers). Worked really well!

Good luck and happy cycling!
Likes For Sapperc:
Old 08-11-22, 02:28 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
That would be great if something like that existed. As far as I know there isn't something to turn your regular shoes into a bike shoe.

I was hit by a car on my motorcycle. My knees do not like to be clipped in. I have tried mnt, road, & speed play pedals. Speed play with the extra float hurt the least but was still
not as good as flat pedals. I like 510 pro ( flat bottom mnt bike shoes ). They are stiffer and have more grip on the bottom to cling to pedals better than regular tennis shoes.

Check out these flat pedal shoes:

Best Mountain Bike Flat Pedal Shoes of 2022
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...ike-flat-shoes
Old 08-11-22, 06:25 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
A few years ago I started adding store-bought arch supports in my shoes to fight plantar fasciitis. The ones with plastic support that run the length of the shoe seem to help me with the problem you describe.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-11-22, 07:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
I don't know why you're cycling in sneakers -- but when I do that, it's because I'm riding to work, the store, the taproom, or somewhere else where I want to be able to walk around in 'normal' shoes. If that's your case, you might consider some more casual SPD-compatible shoes. Here is one article that lists some, but there are plenty of others.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-11-22, 12:34 PM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Good advice by Koyote. If you are going to the trouble of putting inserts into your shoes, it makes sense to get shoes that will walk and bike well.

Mike
Old 08-11-22, 01:31 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have a pair of Super Feet (green) inserts in all of my shoes -- cycling included. I've not found a pair of sneakers (Vans, Chrome, Converse) that are adequately stiff enough for riding, even with an insert. For flat pedals I use Five Ten Freeriders, and for clipless I have some Specialized Somethingorother Comps.
Old 08-12-22, 11:04 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
I have found the big platform pedals work very well with tennie runners or skate shoes, my feet are always very comfy. I also use the Superfeet inserts on all my shoes. I also use spd's for when I'm on a "cycling mission". But if I know I'm going to be doing a fair amount of walking or just bebopping around town I prefer regular shoes. SPD shoes work a lot better for cycling than walking, but it is nice that you can do both. I have ridden 50 miles with my platform pedals and did not feel deprived at all. And this is coming from a guy who used to be a hard-core bike nat-c/bike snob, you know, the worst kind.
The point being just get some big platform pedals and most of your feet problems will probably melt away. Although the Superfeet inserts are a little spendy they changed my life.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 08-20-22, 10:26 AM
bikehoco

Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
I have found the big platform pedals work very well with tennie runners or skate shoes, my feet are always very comfy. I also use the Superfeet inserts on all my shoes.
I got bigger pedals and Superfeet inserts. Problem solved!
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 08-20-22, 11:30 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Changing the pedals might help.

But I find it interesting ithat the jump is from absolutely no support to “steel” (or carbon fiber) insole support.

There are flat soled shoes made for platform pedals that have different degrees of rigidity. There are mtbers that abuse their feet on downhills with platform pedals.

I’d look into a walkable cycling shoe with enough rigidity to give you adequate support than the rabbit hole of an insole for a tennis shoe.

John
Old 08-20-22, 12:23 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
I just wear basketball shoes every day and cycling. They are comfortable, light and very stiff.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 08-20-22, 12:37 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
A thin stiff sole insert is certainly needed when using regular sneakers on regular pedals. I have been looking for a pair for years. I think I am going to have to make them myself.

Project: Shoe Insert - Removeable - Bicycle - Full Sulcus - Aluminum

I'll get some 18ga aluminum sheet and cut out the outline of my feet then bang out the shape of the bottom of my foot. I knew a Machinist who banged out 14ga stainless steel inserts for his boots to relieve plantar fasciitis. Man they were pretty...

Update: Just found some Stainless insoles. Gonna give um a try. I think I will have to pound them into shape a little. I'll post my results.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by zandoval; 08-22-22 at 10:17 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 08-20-22, 02:10 PM
bikehoco

I saw steel inserts on-line (their purpose was to stop nails from coming through your shoes). The problem with them for cycling is they’d get wet with sweat then rust.
Likes For bikehoco: