Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Treating suede saddles?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Treating suede saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 11:39 AM
McDave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Treating suede saddles?

I have a NOS suede saddle on the way and since it's likely 20 or so years old, it's probably due for a drink. What do you suggest I use to re-hydrate the oils from the underside, and what should I use on the top side to prevent stains from rain, sweat, ect? Or am I the one that's all wet?
Old 05-14-08, 11:54 AM
japollner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had an old old old suede Selle Italia that came on a Bianchi that was pretty gray and stained. I rubbed some Proofide into it and it came out looking ok. I didnt plan on using the saddle so it was more of an experiment...but I guess as long as you wear black shorts with it, it is fine.
Old 05-14-08, 01:23 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts
You can get to the underside (smooth leather)? I've never seen suede except when glued onto a plastic saddle base. You can use a fine wire brush to "clean" and reduce stained areas (only a so-so fix at best) and there are spray-on water-proofers that most shoe repair shops carry that will give you some protection from future staining and moisture damage, but rubbing in Proofide (or any other dressing)on the OUTside changes the whole program. It won't be suede anymore, it'll be like rough-out hiking boots that have been Sno-Sealed.
Old 05-14-08, 01:47 PM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just now got the seat and you're right unworthy1, it's plastic on the underside. It's in better than expected condition so I'll just do as you suggest and pick up some Kiwi (seems to be a favored brand) waterproofing. Thanks guys.
Old 05-15-08, 12:33 AM
dannyg1 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by McDave
I just now got the seat and you're right unworthy1, it's plastic on the underside. It's in better than expected condition so I'll just do as you suggest and pick up some Kiwi (seems to be a favored brand) waterproofing. Thanks guys.
I used to use chamois cleaner on my suede saddle (the stuff made for your shorts) and it worked pretty well. It's been awhile though and I don't even know if real chamois shorts exist anymore, much less real chamois cleaners. Big warning though: A suede saddle only looks new for about 5 minutes and there isn't a way to bring it back 100%.

Danny
Old 05-15-08, 02:56 AM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unworthy1
You can get to the underside (smooth leather)? I've never seen suede except when glued onto a plastic saddle base. You can use a fine wire brush to "clean" and reduce stained areas (only a so-so fix at best) and there are spray-on water-proofers that most shoe repair shops carry that will give you some protection from future staining and moisture damage, but rubbing in Proofide (or any other dressing)on the OUTside changes the whole program. It won't be suede anymore, it'll be like rough-out hiking boots that have been Sno-Sealed.
+1. You can use the suede specific sprays which are so-so at best. Once you add proof-hide, snow-seal, or any other oil/wax based product, the suede nap will get shiny/dark and it won't look like suede anymore.